Woops!

James McGee

Weaksauce
I have been running SuSE V.9.1 64 bit version since it came out on my Amd 64 system and it has run just fine. It seems I made a mistake yesterday and let it automaticly update the system with new updates and patches as I have not been able to boot back into linux since the update. I get the message:

ERROR 16:Inconsistent filesystem structure

Anyone know what happened here? Does this mean a new install of SuSE is in order, or is there some way to fix this without a reinstall?

do you use grub as a boot loader? According to the grub manual:

16 : Inconsistent filesystem structure
This error is returned by the filesystem code to denote an internal error caused by the sanity checks of the filesystem structure on disk not matching what it expects. This is usually caused by a corrupt filesystem or bugs in the code handling it in GRUB.

are you sure it was the updating that did it? Do you have a bootdisk?

DiZASTiX said:
do you use grub as a boot loader? According to the grub manual:

are you sure it was the updating that did it? Do you have a bootdisk?

Fairly sure it was the update that did it. Been running it for well over a month and has always worked fine. But as soon as I did the update and rebooted I got the error message and will no longer boot. Yes I am using grub for the boot loader.

I'm not a Suse user, but if I ever got something like that I would try using the recover disc (the first disc)
and use fdisk to check the partition table and if its not there or corrupted, rebuild it and hope that it fixes it

I hate grub, using lilo i never get those type of messages

Back