Woman Sues US Border Agents over Seized iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
A woman is suing US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) after agents allegedly “took a copy of the data on her smartphone and failed to say whether it had been deleted.” Part of the plaintiff’s concern is that the iPhone included photos of her in a "state of undress," in addition to private messages from her lawyer. CBP had kept the phone for 120 days before returning it.

"Ms Lazoja is a Muslim woman and wears a hijab (a headscarf) in accordance with her religious beliefs. Pursuant to her sincerely held beliefs, Ms Lazoja cannot be seen in a state of undress by men who are not family members," the documents state. Neither was there probable cause, nor a warrant [to search the phone]. Therefore, the search and seizure of Ms Lazoja's property violated her rights under the Fourth Amendment," the filing says.

Well, if your people are known to be connected to terrorism be prepared to be searched. That's just it.

I just know I'm going to be called an Islamophobe or some such shit for this.
Islamophobe? I call it protecting your people and country. For the most part, I do not trust them. I have known some and they were nice but also did not teach their kids their old ways.
They said the kids will grow up American and decide for themselves.

I think that the amount of power border guards is terrible but I know that going in am not shocked by it. I'd fight to change laws before suing, too many law suits.

Well, perhaps if she would have unlocked the phone when asked by Customs per the article, this all could have been avoided.

If you don't scrub your phone before travelling through customs, you're kind of an idiot to begin with. I pull my sdcard and hide it on me.

Luckily it hasn't happened, but if someone asked me to unlock my phone, and I wasn't risking jail time, I'd play dumb and just leave it with them. Not worth the effort to sue over. Easy enough to buy a new one at your destination and reload it from a sdcard, or cloud service.

I have known some

I think the problem is classifying an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.

Do you do the same for Christians (they've killed way more), or keep your kids away from Catholics?

I personally, choose to judge people on an individual basis. Things people discuss and talk about is negative biased, you're more likely going to hear about the one Muslim man who was leaning ideologically towards hate versus the ten that led peaceful lives and helped people.

I think the problem is classifying an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.

Do you do the same for Christians (they've killed way more), or keep your kids away from Catholics?

I personally, choose to judge people on an individual basis. Things people discuss and talk about is negative biased, you're more likely going to hear about the one Muslim man who was leaning ideologically towards hate versus the ten that led peaceful lives and helped people.

10% of the Muslim population is believed to be or hold extremist views. That's not a few when the last time I checked there were 2 billion Muslims in the world, you do the math!

BTW...for the record, I hate ALL religions.

Individual basis would mean getting to know them. You have a chance to see they are not a threat or you see they area threat and they kill you? I would rather error on the side of caution.

10% of the Muslim population is believed to be or hold extremist views. That's not a few when the last time I checked there were 2 billion Muslims in the world, you do the math!

BTW...for the record, I hate ALL religions.
Yeah, religions are not my thing either. Islam or whatever that one is, just is plain stupid. It was made by men, literally. And a psychopathic mental one at that.

IMO, I would rather take all the Mexicans than Muslim's and other that hate America or freedom, or common sense.

I'm supposed to care at this point? After all that has happened in the past 17 years, people get called nasty names for pointing out the obvious insanity of having hijab wearing TSA agents fondling people or going through their things all just to get on an airplane.

I've lost track of all the crazy stories I've read about of Americans being harassed by the idiot TSA since its creation. I've had several weird experiences myself and I rarely fly. I had an agent, in a near empty airport misread my passport's expiration date of all things. Literally no one else in the outer security line before the scanners but he can't read a passport correctly. I've been frisked extra for having a one way ticket for a domestic flight. The TSA has long been known to steal stuff out of luggage. We have women harassed over breast milk or searching babies diapers. But this muslima chiquita is worried over her naughty pics and lawyer texts? Darling the NSA already has those. Thanks to things like the patriot act and the ndaa. Why do we have those laws again?

Next time lady, don't have noods on your phone or encrypt it. Actually, that should be the new rule. You want in the USA, lady muslims? Show us your tinder profile. Tits or gtfo.

Honestly who cares..... Its a sign of the times. Noone forces persons to travel internationally, its well known that in the process of border crossing persons basically waive all rights even constitutional ones as an American entering America.

Islamophobe? I call it protecting your people and country. For the most part, I do not trust them.
Yes but there's a segment of our society that believes we should just welcome all of these people in with no question. "Oh, let the poor muslims in. Just let them in." Fuck that shit!
Excuse me? The people who died in the World Trade Towers, the people who saved people from the World Trade Towers, and the countless soldiers who've died in Iraq and Afghanistan would argue with you on that one.
Yep.
Yeah, religions are not my thing either. Islam or whatever that one is, just is plain stupid. It was made by men, literally. And a psychopathic mental one at that.
The whole damn Islam religion is fundamentally incompatible with western cultures. Do you want to know what happens when a Islamic woman is raped? The woman is punished! Stoned even! The woman is the victim here yet she's the one that gets punished. The man who did the deed? Nothing. What the fuck! The whole fucking religion is completely and utterly fucked up. It is a plague on this world.

Islamophobe? I call it protecting your people and country. For the most part, I do not trust them. I have known some and they were nice but also did not teach their kids their old ways.
They said the kids will grow up American and decide for themselves.
That is cool and all for them. It is still not a common thing with anytype of religion. I am in my 30's and my family compeletly ignores the fact I am a atheist and want nothing to with their Church. It is forced on the children even when the child has grown up in his 30s.

Looking at electronic devices when they cross the border: because the internet doesnt exist and anything digital someone wants to "move" is easier done physically. /sarcasm.

If memory serves me, border patrol doesn't need a warrant, and if you haven't made it through customs you have no rights, so she's up shit creek with all the other people who have sued them. Just because your a muslim doesn't give you any special rights. Do what your asked and it wouldn't have been a problem. I don't like it either, but when they have you by the short hairs, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The hell kind of Muslim is devote enough to wear a hijab and takes nudes of herself? Sounds like she's a shitty Muslim

The hell kind of Muslim is devote enough to wear a hijab and takes nudes of herself?
Does it say she was nude? Just seeing her bare arms or legs or face (ie. wearing regular short-sleeve shirt and shorts) is enough to be considered in a state of "undress" in the Muslim religion.

That's because a Muslim is someone who follows Islam. This is not a descriptor of how they look, how they behave, or where they come from. ANYONE can choose to follow Islam, and then becomes a Muslim.

Does that mean they should experience unreasonable search and/or seizure? No.

Yes, your statement is racist and profiling.

Well, if your people are known to be connected to terrorism be prepared to be searched. That's just it.

it's funny that the Ramadan bombathon score board tells a different story. every. year.

unless you mean the crusades. which was a response to the muslim invasions.

that just means the christians won.

Not quite. They have the ability to detain within 100 miles of the border. This covers about 2/3 of the population.
Yes, but the 4th amendment applies even in this expanded border area. Agents’ jurisdiction extends only to immigration violations and federal crimes.
Generally, an immigration officer or CBP cannot detain or search you legally without “reasonable suspicion”, your race or ethnicity alone does not suffice for either probable cause or reasonable suspicion (nor your right to remain silent or only speak with a lawyer present) ~ you do have to provide an ID if a citizen or immigration documentation when requested though.

Last edited:
If i am ever flying to the US, i am going to fill my phone with encrypted junk data, and be sorry my phone only have space for 300 Gb or there about. :)
Who will transport bomb manuals when you can just DL it from the internet along with just about any other form of nasty once you have arrived.

There is no protection against a mad / sick man / woman wanting to do evil, no matter how much you violate regular stand up peoples rights, and to be honest there are plenty of people on this little rock floating in space.

But some people in a Maryland bunker may already have me on a no fly list, just for my outspokenness and granted some times pretty twisted humor on the interweb.

EDIT : forgot to say when i was a troubled teen, we ordered "the black books" from the USA ( before the internet ) and we brewed up quite a few of the things in there, and all there ever was to is was we was kids with a few problems, but that would no doubt be a terrorist label in today's world.

And all we did was make a few holes in the ground, and had some good old wholesome fun if you ask me.

US-Canadian border patrol can eat a bag of dicks.

About a few years back, they ripped my mother in law out of her car and threw her on the ground. She is as white as white can get. Why was she treated that way? Because some 6' 2" asshole at the border patrol thought it'd be a great idea to throw a 60 year old white woman with a bad back on the ground in front of everyone. Said she had made a threatening gesture in her car. Apparently putting out her cigarette in the ashtray of her car (at his request, no less) triggered this fuckhat so badly that he felt compelled to treat her like some street thug.

All she was doing was taking some family over to Windsor for a day in her Buick. It's not like she was driving a box truck loaded to the doors with chemical fertilizer and a questionable amount of electronics.

What if your people are known to be connected with fascist nazis? German heritage, Italian heritage etc.. Americans. Or even connected with Communism, Soviet heritage, Chinese etc... What if your people are known to be connected with the enslaving other humans? Guess they better "be prepared to be searched" and "that's just it." - LMFAO

I would take all the Mexicans and Native Americans over the current existing European heritage folk that are very unpleasant to be around and are constantly shooting up theaters, schools and concerts because they are entitled and are losing their jerbs to more capable humans.

Just gonna leave this here for those prejudice folk with fragile egos to read and weep:

“It really showed no comparison,” Spencer, who lives in Birmingham, told HuffPost. “The American workers could not do what the Mexican workers did. They were physically and mentally incapable."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/alabama-immigration-law-farms_us_58c1d07fe4b0ed71826b55e0

Didn't know this forum carried so many brain-dead bozos.

US-Canadian border patrol can eat a bag of dicks.

About a few years back, they ripped my mother in law out of her car and threw her on the ground. She is as white as white can get. Why was she treated that way? Because some 6' 2" asshole at the border patrol thought it'd be a great idea to throw a 60 year old white woman with a bad back on the ground in front of everyone. Said she had made a threatening gesture in her car. Apparently putting out her cigarette in the ashtray of her car (at his request, no less) triggered this fuckhat so badly that he felt compelled to treat her like some street thug.

All she was doing was taking some family over to Windsor for a day in her Buick. It's not like she was driving a box truck loaded to the doors with chemical fertilizer and a questionable amount of electronics.
On the bright side, it was your in law.

What if your people are known to be connected with fascist nazis? German heritage, Italian heritage etc.. Americans. Or even connected with Communism, Soviet heritage, Chinese etc... What if your people are known to be connected with the enslaving other humans? Guess they better "be prepared to be searched" and "that's just it." - LMFAO

I would take all the Mexicans and Native Americans over the current existing European heritage folk that are very unpleasant to be around and are constantly shooting up theaters, schools and concerts because they are entitled and are losing their jerbs to more capable humans.

Just gonna leave this here for those prejudice folk with fragile egos to read and weep:

“It really showed no comparison,” Spencer, who lives in Birmingham, told HuffPost. “The American workers could not do what the Mexican workers did. They were physically and mentally incapable."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/alabama-immigration-law-farms_us_58c1d07fe4b0ed71826b55e0

Didn't know this forum carried so many brain-dead bozos.

Holy shit, someone unironically quoted huffpo. Get this garbage to soapbox.

real Islamic teaching says that a hijab is not necessary. Just google it. (just as one would say when they cri

but what's real these days....what was one deemed correctly misgyonst and discriminatory , is now protective and feminist

What's real Islamic teaching? There are different interpretations of the Quran. It's a choice to wear the hijab, for religious or personal or for both reasons.

real Islamic teaching says that a hijab is not necessary. Just google it. (just as one would say when they cri

but what's real these days....what was one deemed correctly misgyonst and discriminatory , is now protective and feminist

Your comment is that of an apologist for Islam and it is entirely inaccurate. Not a little inaccurate. It's as wrong as anything in this world could possibly be wrong.
I beg of you, do some research before repeating that lie ever again.

Islam is directly responsible for upwards of 250 million lives lost. Directly responsible.
Not....hey that random guy who happens to be Muslim killed another random guy because he keyed his car so chalk up another death for Islam. I'm talking about wholesale genocide (Armenians, Hindus, Africans) and murder that is supported, encouraged, and demanded by Islamic doctrine. The same exact Islamic doctrine that exists today.

It is said that those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

“Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyzes the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world.” - Churchill

Last edited:
The hell kind of Muslim is devote enough to wear a hijab and takes nudes of herself? Sounds like she's a shitty Muslim
You are allowed to be seen by your husband. Just not other men, so there's nothing in the Muslim religion against sexting a picture of your ass to your husband or breasts or anything like that. You could be entirely devout and at the same time, tease the heck of your husband and have an active, healthy sex life with him.

It's almost akin to the difference between a woman who has sex 1,000 times a year with 1 man she's married to vs 1 time a year with 1,000 different men she's not married to. In the eyes of society, we'd probably view these two entirely differently. Most individual people would. Muslims believe God/Allah/etc would judge these two differently as well. Who knows if that'll turn out to be true, presuming such an entity exists but it seems plausible.

real Islamic teaching says that a hijab is not necessary. Just google it.
Sure, google says:

"O you Children of Adam! We have bestowed on you raiment to cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition.” (Quran 7:26)

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).

“O Prophet! Say to your wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalabib.

Sounds like there are quite a few verses were they are told by Allah or Muhammad. So sure, it's not necessary if you feel it acceptable for Muslms not to follow Allah or Muhammad's word. That seems like a very very small subsect of Muslims that would fall into this later group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back