Wireless USB and Windows ME not working

travanx

[H]ard|Gawd
My coworker has a Linksys USB wireless adapter on his old Windows Millenium machine. I had him install dd-wrt onto his Linksys WRT54G router and we set it up together over the phone. He can plug the ME machine using CAT5 and it will go onto the internet. But when he goes wireless it won't go onto the internet. I had him do an ipconfig /release at the dos prompt and renewed the IP. but the IP address is not changing to the 192.blahblah number from the configured DHCP server on the router.

He also has another computer hooked into the router by CAT5 which works fine. Can anyone give suggestions on how to configure ME to work? I have never had any luck running the included software for any wireless usb card on my XP, so I am unsure of how to configure this on ME. Does ME have its own wireless utility like XP has? Any help or suggestions please, because I can't figure out where to try first. But it may be something really obvious that I am overlooking. I am definately telling him to disable WEP and see if that works tonight.

UGH...Windows ME.......the quickly outsourced last second replacement for what was supposed to be Windows 2000 Home..but that never surfaced....so ME was hatched in a hurry.

No, the wireless zero config utility started with Windows XP..prior to that, you NEED to use the wireless utility that comes with the driver package for the wireless card.

SSID change?

he did update the SSID from default. Are you suggesting to change the SSID to something new to try to get the wireless to find a new network?

Also is there a way to fully uninstall the driver and software and reinstall from scratch in ME?

windows me lawl. some of schools use 98 still, but not even the poor schools have windows me.

he did update the SSID from default. Are you suggesting to change the SSID to something new to try to get the wireless to find a new network?

Also is there a way to fully uninstall the driver and software and reinstall from scratch in ME?

If he changed it on the router....he'll have to go into the wireless config utility on the ME box..and find or change the SSID in there. It's probably still looking for "Linksys"..which is why it isn't going anywhere if the router is now broadcasting a different SSID.

Reinstall? yeah...add/remove programs...but I doubt it's necessary if it was working before.

I think we came up with a few different things to try tonight. I have a feeling its something with the SSID and an old install of ME.

ME does pretty well with upgrading to Windows 2000. You should buy a copy from somewhere ($10) and slap it on there.

Back