Wireless: slow AC connection, normal speed N connection

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I use an Arris cable modem/wireless AP from Comcast and this thing has me scratching my head.

Two years ago, I bought an Asus AC1200 USB connector. When I connected to the router with an AC connection with that device, my download was 2mbps and my upload was what I would have expected, 40mbps. When I connect to the N network, my downloads are 70mbps and 40mbps upload. I bought another router to solve this problem and that worked out fine until I had to hand my router to a relative as well as the Asus adapter. Now I am back using the Arris router and my motherboard's wifi. Surprisingly, I have the same problem. Downloads are super slow over AC and fine over N.

I have an iPhone, iPad, Xbox and probably other devices that do not have this issue while on the AC network. Is this a common issue (APs just not liking some devices) or would the easiest fix be to switch this unit out at Comcast.

Trial and error will be involved, and I'd start with an antenna for the USB adapter if you don't have one.

Also, most are crap. If you can get an internal solution with an Intel controller and get an external antenna for it, do that.

As an aside: perhaps AC is defaulting to 5GHz, while N is defaulting to 2.4GHz. At the bandwidth levels you're looking at, N speeds aren't going to restrict you, but 5GHz operation very well can if there's stuff blocking the signal. 2.4GHz goes further and through more stuff.

Thanks for your help.
I think I solved the problem and it was crazy easy.
The drivers installed for the Intel 9560 (integrated in the motherboard) were the default ones Windows provides. I never thought the problem was the Intel chip on my end, I always figured it was the router. Well tonight I went to Intel's site and downloaded the drivers. And now I get 600mbps down. Wow, talk about the obvious.
I have no idea why the MS drivers caused such a weird problem on the 5GHz band but I think the problem is over for now.

Glad you found a resolution!

I don't know if Microsoft's copy of the drivers has issues -- it may have been a goofed up configuration issue that a reinstall overrode as well, but it's not worth worrying about now that it's fixed :).

Back