Wireless Range Issues

GlobalFear

2[H]4U
Alright heres my problem, I recently bought a wrt54gs and wpc54gs. ( :mad: ) After dealing with tech support for about a half hour I hung up because I couldn't understand the lady (Indian) and called back to find out it wasn't tech support. So I called a different number and killed another half hour until I eventualy hung up and fixed it myself. My problem is that I get about a 30 foot range on a G router, At the top of the stairs (20 ft) singal is very poor. So I half assed an atenna from an old router and I now get poor. I talked to some clanmembers on irc and one said that the routers ship with the power cranked down to 26mw instead of 85mw, I couldn't find a way to turn it up. Anyways this is pissing me off.

Thnaks. My signal is better but, my range still sucks, I'm litterly standing line of site between two windows at about ten feet between the router and laptop and get 40% signal at best.

Does anyone remember the tss episode where they showed a site that selled everything from super aps that worked for half the nieghborhood that the military used to 10 dollar antennas?

First off, be careful when increasing the power, some people have fried their routers doing that, same principal as overclocking.
Now, how are your antennas positioned? Both | | or \ / ? You want them \ / .If that doens't help then what kind of wall are in between?

Best thing might be to move the router outside the room if the above doesn't work.

It's not the router that's messed up. I think it's something else. I have the WRT54GS in my basement and get a Very Good signal on the second story of my home. Also I wouldn't crank up the mW's you will fry the router with out extra cooling. Check out www.linksysinfo.org for more info.

Now for a fix to try. Check the channel your router is set to and change it. Also grab a copy of Netstumbler and check out your S/N ratio.

Trust me you should be getting great range out of that WRT at the stock mW.

One more range thing, mine works about 6-7 houses down from me and that has to make it above my basement walls.

Before you spend money on an antenna, you can find some useful templates for DIY reflectors freeantennas.com. They make the signal directional but it might fit your needs, and hey, it's free. ;)

Does anyone here understand how to "assemble" that antenna that they have on that site? I messed with that a while ago and I couldn't figure it out. I have a Linnksys 802.11b 2.4GHz router and I can't get 2 floors down with it. I can almost get there (got the odd brief notice from netstumbler that my network is in range but not enough to use it). I bet that reflector would give me the little added boost I need.

Look at the picutre at the top left corner of the page. the first template (dip_tmplbk.jpg) is the back, the second template (dip_tmplft.jpg) is the pieces in the middle. the tabs sticking out of the top and bottom of the second template go into the slots that are marked on the first template. the + markings on the second template are where holes should be punched for the antenna to fit through.

Ok. Thanks a lot. I'll have to give it a shot again sometime and see if I have a bit better luck this time around.

Just wondering... but what type of security mode are you using on your router? I went from WEP to WPA and noticed significant boost in speed. But im a n00b so you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt.

Back