wireless help

Swat

[H]ard|Gawd
Oh well , I have a installed everything correctly. Plugged the modem wire up to the router and everything lite up. I then put the wireless PCI card into my computer and disabled my onboard LAN (nf7-s) and uninstalled it's drivers. I installed the new cards drivers and it does show it working. Though I can't get on the internet and when I check the IP it's a LAN based one ie : 198.193......... I hit repair and it says it's fixed but it doesn't help at all. Any ideas would much be appreciated. OH and also , I'm right nextdoor to the router so it's not like I'm far. Maybe 13ft..

Did you reboot the modem when you went from one device to another? You will have to do that for it to recognize the new devices MAC address.

Originally posted by AtomicMoose
are you using the right SSID?

I'm somewhat new to networking.....so no clue what that means. I've networked manytimes , though this is my first time doing it with wireless. Everyone I've talked to said it was just as simple as if I were using cat5. Usually I just hook everything up and bam , it's online.

Found my problem , I guess you have to type in the whole 192.168 or something like that to configure the router , and enable radio I guess. Only question I have now is , do I have to be hardwired to the router to configure it or can I configure it with my wireless?

That would be a WAN IP, not a local IP. Sounds like your associating to someone elses AP, or someone has inputted a static IP from another location. Work laptop? Anyway, do an ipconfig /all and copy/paste to the thread here.

Originally posted by ktwebb
That would be a WAN IP, not a local IP. Sounds like your associating to someone elses AP, or someone has inputted a static IP from another location. Work laptop? Anyway, do an ipconfig /all and copy/paste to the thread here.

I'd more then love to paste what I see. I'm at work right now and well I moved my computer into my room , reason I got the wireless. I looked at the lynksis site and they said to configure the router for wireless I need to type in 192.168.1.1 and then enable radio.

Originally posted by Swat
Found my problem , I guess you have to type in the whole 192.168 or something like that to configure the router , and enable radio I guess. Only question I have now is , do I have to be hardwired to the router to configure it or can I configure it with my wireless?

That is a setting on my netgear router. I have it set so that you can only access the router via a hardwired connection.

Don't forget to change the password on the router.

Back