WinXp Slow

I installed it about 6 months ago and was working perfectly fine. Right now, booting up takes longer than before and all my programs load much slower and I experience chopiness at times. Is it time to format or is there anything I can do to get it back as it once was? Would defragging it make much of a difference?

you know, if i wasn't in a good mood right now, i'd flame the shit out of you.

but i'm in an okay mood, so i'll be decent.

themothaphuckingstickydamnitlookatthetopoftheforums said:
Most of the time people have problems, such as "my computer used to be fast, now it's slow!" or "help! i can't seem to do things i used to!" etc. etc. it can be attributed to spyware//adware (from p2p programs such as KaZaA, and even legitamte programs like DivX (they mean it when they say GAIN adware supported bundle) ) and, of course, the fact that over time, the Windows OS just gets cluttered. Period. So, what can you do? Well here are a few General Tips, and then very specific tweak guides (linked and summarized) for your aid. This guide will, hopefully, help increase system performance, reduce your lag, and make your computer happily tweaked out! ^_^

wow, that's like, exactly your question! WTFOMGBBQ~!!!1!11!1shift+one!!19

link: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=785141

a more helpful rout go install microsoft spyware beta version and run it that should help clean a lot of the crap out

I would steer away from their Beta spyware tool, seeing as how they don't give two shits if it erases your harddrive or do anything else super wonky like that

Might also want to consider cleaning out your registry. Google something called "regscrubxp". Be very careful, however, changes to your regsitry can create additional problems.......

I bet windows prefretch needs to be wiped, get CCleaner and let it delete all temporary files and garbage created by daily windws usage :D

Good Luck

0ldmX

Komataguri said:
I would steer away from their Beta spyware tool, seeing as how they don't give two shits if it erases your harddrive or do anything else super wonky like that

I've been testing it at work, and so far so good. I don't go anywhere to get spyware, but the program is unobtrusive. And it hasn't erased my hard drive yet. :p

Komataguri said:
We at HP actually have it rolled out across our entire Enterprise, so I'd consider it very stable. We've done extensive testing with it, and not only is it stable, but it found and removed malware that Ad-aware and Spybot couldn't detect or remove.

djnes said:
We at HP actually have it rolled out across our entire Enterprise, so I'd consider it very stable. We've done extensive testing with it, and not only is it stable, but it found and removed malware that Ad-aware and Spybot couldn't detect or remove.
By the same token, Ad-aware has removed shit MSAntispyware couldn't. Betweent those two and hijackthis, I have removed all spyware I have seen in recent months.

The market/software is immature, it's not unlike AV was say 10 years ago where to be *really safe* you installed McAfee & Symantec since each had holes the other covered...

Komataguri, I doubt any software vendor guarantees their software will not erase your HDD. That's asking for a lawsuit. What the hell are you talking about anyways?

Like others, I have installed it on quite a few PCs (hundred or so?) and it's only had 1 failure. Had to remove it by hand and reinstall to get it working, but even then...

Back