Windows XP Pro x64

canislupy

[H]ard|Gawd
Installed XP Pro x64 final (MSDN baby :D) to my SLI system... so far so blah... drivers, drivers, drivers. That is going to be the #1 problem for a while.

Chipset:
Nvidia nForce 4 - drivers work (no problems so far, not using RAID)

Graphics:
Nvidia 6800GT SLI - no SLI yet (this sucks, anyone know of a driver set that works?)

Sound:
Creative Audigy 2 - beta drivers (some issues... only 2 channels so far, crackles, etc.)
HDA X-Mystique - no drivers (pulled this for the Audigy 2 above)
VIA Envy 24 - beta drivers (have not tried yet)

Not using Silicon Image... IDE betas available, but not sure if it works with RAID.

CS:S runs well, but surprisingly takes a long time to quit... not sure what is wrong.

I dump x64... not sure... will have to try out some more games.

Looks like I'll be waiting a few months before I throw it on my Athlon64.

I did a partition and a install of it myself also.

Things seem to be working ok so far, though i have one main driver issue... I cant find a 64bit driver for my 3com nic card, thus, I cant get online while using my x64 install, unless i swap my cat5 cable to my onboard nic card, (which i dont want to do).

Any ideas?

Overall, x64 benches pretty well.

canislupy said:
Installed XP Pro x64 final (MSDN baby :D)

They posted it finally? I'll have to grab it...gonna be at least a week before I have time to experiment with a new OS though.

Is this the one that were waiting for, or is there a different release. Liek is this the "Windows 64" or just a 64 bit extension of xp?

ATI9700Pro said:
Is this the one that were waiting for, or is there a different release. Liek is this the "Windows 64" or just a 64 bit extension of xp?

If you're asking, is this Longhorn, then no. If you're asking, is this XP 64 bit edition, then yes.

Yea, longhorn, couldnt think of the codename for it at the time. but anywho, is there anything in here thats actually worth it? I dont wanna dload it and then I get all sorts of problems of drivers not working with it.

If you have an A64 then go ahead. If you have a 32-bit CPU then you can't use it anyway.

Longhorn ain' going to be out for a year or two, something like that.

really? Hmm, Ill just wait then till all the drivers come out for the things I need and I will then use it.

Same issues here. Also, I can't get Norton 2005, Diskeeper 9 or other apps to work. I keep getting error messages that I need to upgrade to a 64-bit edition. I haven't even seen where I can buy 64-bit versions of those programs. Also, I thought this OS was supposed to be backward compatible so it would run 32-bit apps. :mad: I'm going back to XP SP2.

I doubt there are really any 64 bit apps yet since its not really released. You're really only "downloading the future" at this point to play and experiment with so, i wouldn't count on this being a prime time app for awhile. Don't forget, Dell doesn't sell A64 chips...yet....ever? So the motivation isn't going to be there to update to 64 bit drivers/apps until it really hits mainstream.

I will be installing mine tonight. I hope things go well, the only thing that I am worried about is the drivers.

Nasty_Savage said:
I doubt there are really any 64 bit apps yet since its not really released. You're really only "downloading the future" at this point to play and experiment with so, i wouldn't count on this being a prime time app for awhile. Don't forget, Dell doesn't sell A64 chips...yet....ever? So the motivation isn't going to be there to update to 64 bit drivers/apps until it really hits mainstream.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/ws_370?c=us&cs=&l=en&s=dfh

Begs to Differ. X64 is also EM64T from Intel. ;)

As to those installing Beta Drivers, be sure to read this:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/64INF_reqs.mspx

And make sure your inf install files for your drivers are properly decorated, or that you turn off the checks for decorated infs.

A few comments...

There are not a whole bunch of x64 applications at the moment, no. I've only used a few, though I'm sure the number will grow as time goes on. The first ports will likely be databases\datamining, video\image editing, those are the apps the benefit the most from the additional memory space.

As for 64bit Dell Systems, I've had several delivered, I assure you they are selling them.

> I thought this OS was supposed to be backward compatible so it would run 32-bit apps.

Apps, yes. Drivers, no. That's why Exchange, for instance, won't work on it right now; Exchange contains a driver which allows it to do some things that user code is not allowed to do. Anti-virus programs often have the same issues because their real time monitoring components uften tie into the OS in ways that user code normally cannot, as a kernel mode driver.

So for regular 32bit apps, yes, it's compatible, but there are limitations, especially when it comes to applications which tie into or modify the OS.

edit: Beaten by Ranma...

Did they update the driver database with it or is it the same amount as xp? I mean do you think it will pick up common drivers without having to go searching for them?

Does anyone know when x64 is going gold? I thought it was around late april, but I could be wrong.

grrr.
OS not work with MB drivers.......unhappy.

*edited for your pleasure*

FullMetal said:
grrr.
OS not work with MB drivers.......unhappy.

Rape the key!!! RAPE the KEY!!!

You really should blur out the Product Number when you take shots of System props.

Dr. DVS 1 said:
Rape the key!!! RAPE the KEY!!!

You really should blur out the Product Number when you take shots of System props.

If you look at the build, it's RC1 (I think). For RC1 IIRC everyone was given the exact same product key, and it was even posted on one of the MS download pages. Besides, RC keys won't work for the final version.

[MS]- Good call.

Full Metal....you need to download the x64 drivers. It appears from your screen shot that you're trying to install the standard 32 bit drivers.

so what do all of us with the home version do? are we screwed, can we use the same product key., what?

ATI9700Pro said:
so what do all of us with the home version do? are we screwed, can we use the same product key., what?

Yes, I believe you are screwed. There is no Home version of x64. Pro owners will get a free trade in from what I have heard.

wickedld9 said:
[MS]- Good call.

Full Metal....you need to download the x64 drivers. It appears from your screen shot that you're trying to install the standard 32 bit drivers.

Right I figured that out finally AFTER some sleep. :D

I don't even want to bother with XP64 yet, and I didn't realize how useless it would be to me (as I am anything near a pro at all this) I can't figure out how to uninstall it and get rid of my choice when I start up the computer (I'm now running 2 OS - XP Pro, and Xp64). I would appreciate some advice, and while I'm not a total idiot, you can speak to me like I know very little.
Thanks.

Did you install it to the same or seperate partition? The easiest way would be if it was on its own partition. You could then just edit the boot.ini file and delete its partition. If you installed to the same partition, well... that's going to be a bit more tricky.

Yeah, I did a separate partition for it, thank goodness. I forget what I named it though, and I can't find it listed anywhere, or how to even find the name. All I know is I was prompted with the option upon installation to put it on a separate partition, and I added "64" on top of whatever name it was by default (if there was even a name...it could be just "64").

XP Pro can't see the x64 XP partition? I find this hard to believe....

Try Disk Management?

You know, I think it's not separate at all. I found it under /Program Files/Windows/64/
so, it's not on it's own partition. Does that make it more complicated? Thanks for helping btw.

Wow, I'm not even sure what to make of that. Shouldn't be under program files, thats for sure. Do you have two Program Files directories? One would be "Program Files (x86)", which is a x64 directory. If you do have this directory, then you did install to the same partition. With that being the case, I really don't know how to safely remove it without damaging your XP Pro installation.

Crap! yes, I have program files (x86). Have I screwed myself up? I thought it was going to be on a separate partition when I installed it. At the very least I want to try to uninstall it and deal with the consequences. Either way, something's gotta give. Do you know how I could uninstall it?

canislupy said:
http://preview.creativelabs.com/default.aspx

Google is your friend. :D

They are hard coded to stop working sometime in April IIRC. (I hope this means new drivers soon).

I am back on XP Pro SP2... I'm going to wait this one out until I have a full compliment of fully featured drivers.

Although it's been RTM'd it won't actually be released for retail (although I'm not sure it will be availiable to buy in a store for a while yet, I seem to recall something about it only being availiable as an OEM product) for another couple of weeks.

Expect a slew of "Official" 64 bit drivers and product updates from just about everywhere at the end of April.

axeugene said:
Crap! yes, I have program files (x86). Have I screwed myself up? I thought it was going to be on a separate partition when I installed it. At the very least I want to try to uninstall it and deal with the consequences. Either way, something's gotta give. Do you know how I could uninstall it?

No uninstall. You would have to manually remove it. But I'm no expert here. If it was me, I would backup, wipe the partition, then reinstall XP Pro SP2.

hey, i have a question.. i installed the beta about two weeks ago.. and today i reset the bios and changed the date to the right one.. now i log into windows and a box says no nonon......... your evaluation has ended. :( then it restarts... anything i can do? i dont what to take out the harddrive and put it in another computer to get my stuff.... im not trying to crack the 360 day limit, i just want to get into windows without reinstalling. :p

Back