Windows XP Pro x64 Edition Gaming Comparison

Cythrawl

n00b
I have read through this and the reason why Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory does not work is because of the Starforce 3 Protection Scheme. It's obvious that any game that uses this scheme wont work as it installs device drivers for the protection to work. I doubt that they have written 64-bit drivers (yet) and once x64 becomes more mainstream im positive this will be fixed in a patch of some sort.

Of course theres the other side of the fence (like me) who will not buy games that use the Starforce protection on the VERY reason that it installs device drivers (that are only mentioned if you read the ENTIRE EULA) and this isnt the first time Starforce has screwed things up (just do a search on it).

Other than that, awesome article, spot on...

Installing drivers just so you can play a game?!?! What's next, having to been connected to the internet just to unlock a game you already installed and purchased,,, uhh hum that was done too. Ok whats next, blood and semen samples just to install and play a game? WTF is this coming too.

Yes Starforce installs system drivers (they appear under System Devices if you want to look). Thing is that it does a damn good job of protecting games. Splinter Cell still isnt cracked (as far as I know) and probably wont be for some more weeks (or even months). So Starforce is doing a good job, but does it really need to be the system rape that it is.

There ahve been several reports of USB devices no longer working once its been installed, Virtual Drive software no longer working (which DO have legitimate uses) systems being unstable after install, the list goes on and on...

There's a slightly ugly, but apparently working, nocd-solution over at (well-known site), so I won't say it was very effective.

I emailed StarForce's tech support to ask about Win x64 support, and here's the reply I got:

StarForce already supports Windows XP 64bit. The publishers have to create patches with the latest version of the protection system.

Best regards.
------------------------------------
Lev Boiarsky
Customer Support Group
StarForce Technologies

Seems the problem lies with the game developers, not StarForce.

I've emailed Ubisoft asking when we all can expect a patch that updates their implementation of StarForce for Win x64 compatibility, but have yet to get a reply.

Back