Windows XP or 7 wont finalize install via bootcamp.

Washuu

Limp Gawd
Well, I had Windows XP, then Windows 7 on before. I wanted to install the latest build of 7, but when it finalizes(after putting in username, etc) it restarts and sits on black screen with blinking "_"

So, I tried installing XP instead (Which I have known to work) and it does a similar thing at the same point of installation, but instead it says "hal.dll is missing, cannot load operating system"

Only things I can assume are bad hardware or bad install discs, and between 4 different discs I have used, I can only think bad hardware. Is that the possibility? And on my Macbook what tools should I use to diagnose this?

Yeah this is a pain in the ass. Put XP on my wife's Macbook pro, My trick was to format the bootcamp partition NTFS, then do the install. Wouldn't take if you just created the partition in bootcamp, then tried to do the install. Only worked after I created the partition, popped in the XP disk, then did another format of the partition. Good luck, I dread replacing that HDD simply cause I will have to reinstall windows. BTW are you running Leopard or Snow?

Well it sounds like your having a media problem, or some type of optical drive issue. The slim line optical drives in all the Macbooks/MBP's are finicky at best, and generally flakey. If your sure it's not the media, then my guess is your slot load drive is on its last leg. I would try to make a copy of your windows disk on your Mac and see if your getting any issues. Burn it at the lowest speed you can for the best chance of a clean cop. After that try to boot off of it and see how it goes. I would lean towards it being your drive though, which isn't the worst thing to change out on a non pro Macbook. If you have applecare call em up, if not the drive is around $75 or so and you can figure another $100 at the applestore to change it out. I would for sure try making a copy of your install disk though and try using that, not even ejecting it after it gets burned.

Trying different ways of burning a disc, desktop and Macbook failed.

This Macbook is new as of this summer, so.... :-/

Back