Windows XP Media Center Edition

Garage81

Mac Daddy
I have a license and a copy of XP media center edition (gotta love msdn).

What tv tuner do you all recommend? And you can still use the PC like windows XP right?

Anyone have any good link / sites? Im a total newb into this.

Microsoft's website states which hardware is compatible.

If I recall correctly, the ATI AIW cards are NOT compatible.

Start here and see if it gets you the answers you need.

Yes MCE will work with AIW cards but don't even bother with it, SarverSystems posted a good link so look there.

Is it the 2004 version? If so you could get an ATI E-Home Wonder (Newegg has them for like $78ish- Get the one with FM first though) which is would work great on the cheap side but you should really get a Hauppauge 250MCE card if you can spring for the extra cost (they're like $120ish) but personlly I'd try to get a 250MCE and an E-Home Wonder since I have a few things I'd like to hookup (I have quite a few consile game systems) and the 250MCE's inputs are all rendered in MPEG2 meaning that there is a lag of a few seconds (like three).

I have the 2002 version, and also the 2004 upgrade.

I'm leaning towards the hippauage 250, as I currently have a 9800np.

Wish I could find something cheaper, but if the quality is there, then I'm happy.

CrimandEvil said:
Yes MCE will work with AIW cards but don't even bother with it, SarverSystems posted a good link so look there.

Is it the 2004 version? If so you could get an ATI E-Home Wonder (Newegg has them for like $78ish- Get the one with FM first though) which is would work great on the cheap side but you should really get a Hauppauge 250MCE card if you can spring for the extra cost (they're like $120ish) but personlly I'd try to get a 250MCE and an E-Home Wonder since I have a few things I'd like to hookup (I have quite a few consile game systems) and the 250MCE's inputs are all rendered in MPEG2 meaning that there is a lag of a few seconds (like three).

I'm probably going to buy that card, is this a good remote to use too?

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/products_id/53?osCsid=53ce500686572efb72cc9579d3dff1b0

or should I be looking at a different remote?

how is the hauppauge better then the ATI E-Home Wonder? just wondering since it costs a bit more. they both do mpeg2 encoding?

The ATI card is around $75ish the Hauppauge version is around $99ish (with a 250MCE at about $115), the reason is because Hauppauge can charge that much for their version because like I said before "they are considered the 'Golden Standard' " when it comes to HTPCs also remember as far as anyone is concerned this is a niche audience too.

You'll find more support for software when using the Hauppauge cards as well, and as much as I like ATI's products, there software is nothing to write home to mom about. I cannot stand the ATI MMC, thats just me though. Like CrimeandEvil said, the HTPC is a niche market (although it is growing larger every day); and Hauppauge has helped carve that niche. I'm not a fanboy, but if it works then it works.

Garage81 Once you get your rig up and running, give some of the other software a try like myHTPC and so forth. You may find the customization and other features they offer very nice. Above all else just enjoy it, that's all that matters in the end. =)

Cheers!

Yeah for the most part the software for the ATI card sucks but since it is a hardware based encoder there are several polished programs that will use it (not to mention MCE 2004) so you can always get a better program for your front end (I use both SageTV and GotTV).

Back