Windows XP keeps restarting

Ang

Gawd
One of my co-workers has a Gateway laptop they want me to "fix."

Everytime it goes to load windows it BSODs.

Im assuming one of the windows files is corrupted, they mentioned something of virus/spyware. They want me to see if I can recover the files (which I am weary to do on my own computer or HD because of virus.)

How would I go about getting the files off the computer when I can't even load windows?

I can't take the HDD of the laptop and just put it in my computer can I? Do i need some sort of external drive?

Should I just not recover the files? Any insight?

yeah, you would have to buy an adaptor for a laptop hard drive. or, you could see if the laptop could boot from an external drive that has linux installed on it and try recovering the files from there.

Bah, don't really want to buy anything.. I would have no future use for it.
I will talk to co-worker tomorrow.. hopefully they don't need the files THAT bad :p

Could you boot up the laptop using a linux boot CD (OS is on the CD and loads completely from the CD, so you get an OS without changing the HD) -- or using BartsPE?

You could use a BartPE disc, which is free, and access the files. Then, you can copy them to a network drive, an external drive, a USB flash drive, etc.

tried safe mode? i know its an obvious question, but im just checking...

u can always reinstall XP over itself. it usually saves all previous settings/files.

When I boot safe mode it goes through all the DLL's it is loading and then it gets stuck on one for a while (2 minutes) then BSODs.

Dire and Deacon: Never knew I could do something like that. I will look up those solutions when I get home tonight

How do I access the Harddrive through BartPE? I have it running, but I don't see an option to access the harddrive.

You should be able to access the drive through the command prompt.

Ok so I open command prompt..

And I want to copy the files I need to an external HD through USB.. but BartPE doesn't recognize it. How do I get it to recognize it...

I accessed my C: drive through going to Run and Browse.. I don't know if that's the right way or not...

just use linux had to do this on monday witth the Ubuntu Distro its fairly simple really

plus you get to see what linux is like if you havnt tried it before

(you will want to lookup mounting a drive though)

Ok so I open command prompt..

And I want to copy the files I need to an external HD through USB.. but BartPE doesn't recognize it. How do I get it to recognize it...

I accessed my C: drive through going to Run and Browse.. I don't know if that's the right way or not...

You have the USB device plugged in while you boot BartPE right? I've noticed sometimes that BartPE won't recognize a USB device if you plug it in after the OS loads.

Try adding this plugin to BartPE and recompiling the ISO. I know this is a pain in the ass but once you get the BartPE setup correctly with the right plugins you almost never have to change it again. This plugin should give you an easier interface to move things around with hopefully.

http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugin_Details/321/WindowsFileExplorer.html

Back