Windows won't boot with hybrid gpus

PnkPwrRngr

Gawd
I have a 7970 currently installed with the latest drivers. I shut my pc down install the gt 640 I bought for PhysX, power my pc on and it freezes at the Windows logo. I originally blamed this on my amd drivers not liking the nvidia card. I ran drive sweeper and cleared everything out. I was then able to boot into windows with both cards installed. My pc ran incredibly slowly due to high cpu usage from the "system idle" process. I was able to get both amd and nvidia drivers installed at this point and reboot, but my pc still ran poorly with high cpu usage.

I'm back to square one now with the 7970 installed with the latest drivers, and my computer is back to normal.

I'd really like to get hybrid PhysX working, any help would be appreciated.

I ran in to an issue like this on my setup when I was running CFX 6970s

Hate to say it but for the life of me I never found out what was going on to cause the problem. I tried a GT 440 at the time (december last year) and it would do the same exact thing. I pulled a GTX 470 out from another machine and it worked fine, then I tried a GTX 550 Ti and it worked fine.... but as soon as I put the GT 440 back in same problem. I dont know if there was some weird IRQ conflict or what.

Eventually I just bought a GTX 550 Ti and put it in.

Yes, 64 bit.

It might be generic advice, but I'd encourage you to make sure your motherboard bios is up to date. Then, if you have a spare hard drive or don't mind doing a clean install, reinstall windows.

I had a hybrid PhysX setup back when Batman: AA came out and it worked fine. I never experienced booting issues. This was on an EVGA P55 FTW using crossfire 5850's and a GT240, so it was quite awhile ago.

Wish I could be of more help. :(

I'd say 1st thing is to double and triple check your video settings in the Bios...
A fast way to see if it's a Win7 issues is to go into safemode and disable the GT640... Now boot up normal and see if it hangs... If just not having the drivers loaded allows you to boot it's a Win7\Driver issue... If it still hangs then it's likely a bios or hardware level issue...

Granted take ALL of This with a grain of salt... I hate troubleshooting via messages... Odds are I could make it work in under 10 minutes if it was here on my Desk, but it's not...

I'd say 1st thing is to double and triple check your video settings in the Bios...
A fast way to see if it's a Win7 issues is to go into safemode and disable the GT640... Now boot up normal and see if it hangs... If just not having the drivers loaded allows you to boot it's a Win7\Driver issue... If it still hangs then it's likely a bios or hardware level issue...

Granted take ALL of This with a grain of salt... I hate troubleshooting via messages... Odds are I could make it work in under 10 minutes if it was here on my Desk, but it's not...

I will definitely try the the safe-mode thing. I'm interested to see if I can boot into safe-mode with both cards installed. I'll also check my bios setting again, although there isn't too much in there for pci-e settings.

I'm still surprised that this works for so many people. Every time someone posts a thread about getting a new video card, they get warned about uninstalling the previous card's drivers. With this hybrid setup, we have purposefully installed both drivers... Isn't this NOT supposed to work?

Honestly, there is nothing that stops you from running Several GPU's with differing Chipsets... You can run separate monitors from each card just fine if you so desired...
Good luck on finding the issue...

Note: in the BIOS Look at SLi/Crossfire settings if you have them and what Adapter initializes First...

Looks like I'm just sending the card back... It just won't let me boot with both cards, even in safe mode.

Should I exchange it for another card, or just give up and hope someone mods bl2 enough that physx will just work well enough on AMD cards?

if you want physX you have to get another card sadly :( I hoped forever someone would make a PhysX emulator through openCL but it never worked out except for that cruel april fools joke a while back.

as I said I had the same issue with a card a while back, but other cards worked fine. Not saying you would have to get one but I have a GTX 550 Ti for sale right now for $85 shipped but more than likely it is cheaper than the 640 you had.

I used the same card for my dual 6970s and now for my GTX 690 for dedicated PhysX and it works great! (that isn't the card I am selling, I have another one I am using, they are just the same model). I tried a GTX 470 and only seen a 3fps max gain in one or two games, so I stuck with a 550.

Only thing is it does need a separate power adapter :(

Back