Windows using too much memory

Motzinator

n00b
I have a problem, my ram usage goes up to nearly 100% everyday and I cant account for 50% of it. I can reset but seems to build up from 3gb and itll go up to 7gb to nearly 8 and windows basically wont do anything as memory maxs . I run 75processes, and in taskmanager it doesn't seem to add up to much. I have disabled virtual memory and computer didnt have memory hole for first month and a half. Computer isnt even 3 months old yet. I can reboot and play any game all day,but memory adds up with 4-5 tabs use of firefox. Run malmarebtyes and bitdefender and dont detect viruses.

Re-enable Virtual Memory. Even if you never swap, windows does some weird stuff with the page file, it's useful to have.

Either set it to a static amount or just let the system automatically handle it.

That should help a fair amount.

It's very rare to see this sort of behavior without Windows being owned. Can you try running a day without opening say, Firefox and see if the problem persists? If so, it's likely not anything you are running.

If malware has owned your system, then nothing will be able to tell you. If something hacked your kernel, all the virus scanners inthe world won't be able to tell - they'll just get back an "everything fine" report :(

Only way to fix it is a full reinstall.

I had this issue and it ended up being a network monitoring service. I can't remember the specifics but hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Enabled Paging File 4gb, think it was not having virtual memory that caused memory not being reclaimed

2.7gb used startup without steam or applications opened and goes back down after running and closing 5 abobe apps and 15 internet tabs. Have about 60-70 processes which is pretty clean with no apps opened.

i have an htpc with 2 gb of ddr2 ram and it has this issue where something causes the svhost.exe to eat 1.5 gig turns out it was windows update... gonna stick 2 gb more in it later...

i have an htpc with 2 gb of ddr2 ram and it has this issue where something causes the svhost.exe to eat 1.5 gig turns out it was windows update... gonna stick 2 gb more in it later...

Oh man WU is painfully slow if you only have 2 GB of RAM. I had to nuke three machines for a customer because they had a nasty network-aware rootkit. WU took 5-6 hours on the first machine, which finally convinced the customer to max out the memory in each machine to 4 GB.

The next two machines only took about an hour and a half a piece.

Enabled Paging File 4gb, think it was not having virtual memory that caused memory not being reclaimed

2.7gb used startup without steam or applications opened and goes back down after running and closing 5 abobe apps and 15 internet tabs. Have about 60-70 processes which is pretty clean with no apps opened.

I'd now crank that Pagefile down to just 500MB and see if it still runs fine.

I just have a 64MB Pagefile (16GB of RAM) only in case anything ever kicks up a fuss because I don't have one. I have lots of ram so I'd rather my software uses that.

As for machines with less than 4GB of RAM. I now see Windows 7 update choking on machines with just 4GB (it just grinds with like 8 updates left) so 6GB is the minimum I'd run nowadays.

That is ridiculous Microsoft needs to fix that memory management. It is absurd that the Internet needs a current gen every thing with a minimum of 8 gig of ram these days... I remember surfing with a 486 dx 33mhz on dial-up with 24 mb of ram... running windows 95. That same computer today could not load google's home page.

Back