Windows Update KB4058258

Domingo

Fully [H]
Anyone else totally unable to get this thing to install? I get that one of the issues is a false install error, but I can't get it to install, period. Tried all the usual tricks (clearing update cache, stopping/starting services, SFC /scannow, etc.) to no avail. I can't get it to manually install via the Windows Catalog download either. It'll get to 25%, drop to 0%, spike to 36%, and then fail.
This is the first time I've had anything this stubborn before.

Anyone else totally unable to get this thing to install? I get that one of the issues is a false install error, but I can't get it to install, period. Tried all the usual tricks (clearing update cache, stopping/starting services, SFC /scannow, etc.) to no avail. I can't get it to manually install via the Windows Catalog download either. It'll get to 25%, drop to 0%, spike to 36%, and then fail.
This is the first time I've had anything this stubborn before.

While I have successfully installed this on a couple of PCs; I'm having this issue on two very different machines. I'm seeing these two errors in the Event Viewer:

System Log: "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073715: 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4058258)."

Setup Log: Windows update "Update for Windows (KB4058258)" could not be installed because of error 2147956501 "The identities of the manifests are identical but their contents are different."

I have tried:
  • Windows Update Troubleshooter
  • Windows Update Component Reset
  • Installation via Windows Update
  • Installation via manual download
  • dism /Online /add-package /packagepath:"E:\Windows 10 Updates\KB4058258.cab"

Oh boy, I will keep an eye out for this. I have done ~6 machines and no issues. A little worried now. :depressed:

I installed this update manually via .msu on one station and through Windows Update on another. Both worked perfectly.

I still can't get it to work. I tried uninstalling a previous update with the hope that might do it, but no luck there either. If I have a chance tonight I might revert back to "stock" Fall Creators Update and give it another go.

^ That did the trick. Reinstalled Creators Update on top of my current install using an ISO. Reinstalled all of the subsequent updates and now I'm good. I guess that'll be something I keep in mind going forward.

Back