Windows Server 2012 on ASUS Q87M-E/CSM ?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I've got an ASUS Q87M-E/CSM motherboard. I'd like to run Windows Server 2012 on it, but I can't find drivers. In the past, Windows 7 drivers worked well enough to get Windows Server 2008 (for example) running, but none of the Asus drivers will install on Server 2012. The generic Intel drivers seem to be restricted to their own motherboards.

Any way to get Windows Server 2012 running on this motherboard?

What drivers? The intel inf chipset and network drivers will work on other boards, I installed them on several non-intel boards. If you're referring to the network drivers being restricted to not installing in Server, there is a tool, https://github.com/plex88/NicEnabler - which will fix the drivers to eliminate the restriction, you have to unzip the network drivers, run the tool, disable integrity checks and enable test signing mode, reboot, install, then enable integrity checks and disable test signing mode, and reboot.

The commands to disable the checks are (run as admin in cmd.exe):
Code:
bcdedit /set LOADOPTIONS DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON 
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON
to enable again:
Code:
bcdedit /set LOADOPTIONS ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS 
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF 
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks OFF

The nic enabler tool will have to be compiled with Visual Studio (express is free), or you can grab the compiled version from one of the comments the author made in this blog: http://nearlydeaf.com/?p=1145

Last edited:
The NIC drivers were in the box, no problem there.

The NVIDIA drivers just installed; I used the 64-bit Windows 8.1 drivers for the GeForce 650 card I've got in the machine.

The ASUS-provided tools wouldn't let me run setup; they'd give a poorly-formatted error message about not supporting this version of Windows. The Intel RAID tool had its own Intel-provided setup.exe that I ran, and that worked without a problem.

The other drivers were for the C220 chipset, the USB 3.0 hub, and ... uh, "SM management port"? For these, I just unzipped everything into a tree of directories, then directed Device Manager to search for drivers in that tree recursively. It picked out what it wanted and everything's working.

There's also a "PCI0A0A" driver that lots of people have problems with. I found a driver on the Asus website for another board which installed, but doesn't start when the machine boots. This results in a message in the event log, but doesn't cause a yellow "bad device" icon in device manager.

It's lame this is so hard; the restriction on the Asus-supplied setup programs seems arbitrary.

Did you try just installing the intel chipset drivers? That should cover the chipset, usb, etc. on intel's site they are listed under their specific mobos, but they are the same for all intel chipset mobos afaik.

When installing the chipset drivers with the Asus-provided download, I get an error message about the current version of Windows not being supported. I had to install them manually, as I described.

When installing the chipset drivers with the Asus-provided download, I get an error message about the current version of Windows not being supported. I had to install them manually, as I described.

I know I read that part, I meant, did you try just the intel chipset drivers from intel.com?

Ah. That probably would have saved you the trouble. Just FYI for next time. Pretty much the only time you need drivers from a mobo company, is if you have non-intel devices (like ASMedia SATA, or USB, etc.) and then only if you can't just get them from the 3rd party device makers company's site. And like I said, the intel chipset drivers on intel.com are for all intel chipset mobos.

Back