windows remote desktop connection

obviouslytom

Fully [H]
i am trying to use remote desktop from my laptop which is currently with me at my parents, and try to connect to my desktop back at my place. i have the ip address of my house and the internal network ip for the desktop. the problem i have is how do i connect to it. every time i try to connect i get an error. so how do i connect to it when its behind a modem and router?

you need to use port forwarding...

look at the example below:

linksys.JPG

see the "3389" 5th in the list?

you need to forward port 3389 to the internal address of your computer.

in the picture above, they are running a server with an internal address of 192.168.0.1 and forwarding a bunch of external ports to it. (as well as an x-lite server, whatever that is, at .18)
all of those services on the 192.168.0.1 computer can now be accessed using the public ip address.

if you can tell us your specific router and modem i am sure we can get you more specific instructions on what needs to be done.

i have a belkin n1 router that is behind a westell dsl modem/router. i will try your example and see what happens

On a side note, if you don't specifically need to use remote desktop, i found that TeamViewer works very well. The program is really easy to use and is pretty much remote desktop.

On a side note, if you don't specifically need to use remote desktop, i found that TeamViewer works very well. The program is really easy to use and is pretty much remote desktop.
or logmein.com it is free and works.. (most of the time)

i have had issues with a few westel modems in the past, let's hope your's is not one of them..

or logmein.com it is free and works.. (most of the time)

i have had issues with a few westel modems in the past, let's hope your's is not one of them..

yeah i used to use logmein for their hamachi service, then i found their remote desktop service...i think logmein is most useful when i want to remote desktop from my iPod Touch (or iPhone) :D
LogMeIn Ignition iPhone app :p

One thing to consider is if your Westell DSL modem is doing any type of NAT or firewalling duties. If that's the case you'll have to double NAT translations or port forwards to get this working. If your Westell is doing NAT I would suggest seeing if you can put it in bridge mode and make the Helium the only firewall/NAT router. Depending on how your ISP does things you might need to setup PPPoE or PPPoA authentication on the WAN port of the Helium to get things running right.

Or you can just setup LogMeIn Free and be done with it. Unless you need printer and clipboard redirection.

Back