windows oldest "flaw"

Morpheus256

2[H]4U
in my mind, this is a flaw, when you go to copy files, it just has one bar saying how long for the entire job, and the guessameter
that hasnt been improved since 95

anyone have any idea if ms plans to redesign that? personally what i would love to see is:
2 bars, entire job, and that file its copying
an elapsted time, and estimated time
speed its transfering at
how much data in KB,MB,GB it has transfered thus far

i mean really, why are they hanging onto a 10 year old layout, alot has changed, it takes more then 5 minutes to transfer data these days

anyone know if there is a shell upgrade/enhancement for xp to offer this?

that would be sweet to offer in longhorn(or screw longhorn, patch for all nt based systems). It's a pain to copy entire harddrives, since it says 15 minutes left all the #@% time. :p

that is EXACTLY what im talking about, ive been moving data around all night tonight.

i think it was in mac os 8 (very old now) that introduced most of those features i listed above.....

wouldnt it be sad if i went to a mac for those features? :eek:

Morpheus256 said:
that is EXACTLY what im talking about, ive been moving data around all night tonight.

i think it was in mac os 8 (very old now) that introduced most of those features i listed above.....

wouldnt it be sad if i went to a mac for those features? :eek:
YOU would be sad if you went to mac for those features.

If this is a thread about old MS flaws, this would be the thread that never ends :D

<Only joking, not meant to be flaming>

It's a really good idea since the current method of "calculating" time remaining is way off base on large file transfers. But seriously, send your request to [email protected] , maybe they will include it in a future release.

If there are enough of us who send in such a request it just might be added. :D

What I hate is when it estimates a simple copy for 5 minutes and it really takes only 20 seconds.

It's not true that it hasn't changed since Windows 95. Under '95 the time estimate was for just the file being copied at the time. It now gives an estimate for the entire job if you're copying more than one file. So it has been somewhat improved in nine years.

I use Total Commander (PayWare) as my filehandler, and as long as I use it's inbuilt file handling I will get the 2 bars and speed.

I stoppede using explorer because of it's "helpfulness"(default settings) in XP are hurting performance, especially with large folders of multimedia files.
I know you can tweak explorer a little but it's still _alot_ slower than almost anything else ;)
So I use TC and have it tweaked to my exact preferences.

The Window's filetransfer is so slow. Me and my friend's just get on AIM and do a file transfer, it is ALWAYS much faster.

SLJ_1337Dude said:
The Window's filetransfer is so slow. Me and my friend's just get on AIM and do a file transfer, it is ALWAYS much faster.

I call BS on this.....

*Exactly* explain how you are comparing Explorer file transfer vs AIM and where are you and your friend located when you perform such tasks.

actually, i dont, if they are on different isps through modems and shit, yes i agree
however, if they are at the same house, conencted on the same lan, aim would be faster. netbios has a lot of overhead, if im doing a mass transfer to mys erver, ill send over ftp before i will windows drag and drop.

Morpheus256 said:
actually, i dont, if they are on different isps through modems and shit, yes i agree
however, if they are at the same house, conencted on the same lan, aim would be faster. netbios has a lot of overhead, if im doing a mass transfer to mys erver, ill send over ftp before i will windows drag and drop.

Depending on circumstances I *might* be able to agree, but to make such a blanket statement without any explanation as to why or how isn't realistic.

no i would agree.

so, anyone feel like revamping the shell for me so i can do my file transfers more efficently? ;)

Morpheus256 said:
speed its transfering at

Start > Run > (type) perfmon

alternately in real time on the desktop
samurize will graph any of the resident performance monitors

oh im well aware of perfromance monitor, but, what i was looking for was a nice all rounded in one dialog box idea. somthing microsoft should have considered fixing befor introducing "my games" in the upcoming version of windows :rolleyes:

Back