Windows 9

Extremely doubtful. Remember; Windows 8 isn't aimed at businesses, it's aimed at consumers. Windows 9 will be the next business OS in the cycle; I fully expect a 'default desktop' option to be present in 9, possibly a GPO option to restore the old start menu.

And I fully expect a lucky pot of gold at the end of every rainbow but that isn't happening either. There is no thats-the-way-we've-always-done-it "cycle" - that's out the window. Now its just reacting to ipad.

And I fully expect a lucky pot of gold at the end of every rainbow but that isn't happening either. There is no thats-the-way-we've-always-done-it "cycle" - that's out the window. Now its just reacting to ipad.
You could be right. I consider windows 8 to be MS's "New Coke" release.

Whether they are stubborn enough to ignore their business customers and press on ahead, or are wise enough to make concessions to their users remains to be seen.

Whether they are stubborn enough to ignore their business customers and press on ahead, or are wise enough to make concessions to their users remains to be seen.

By the time that businesses deploy Windows 8 in any large number Windows 8 will be much better known in the world as consumers learn the OS on their own devices. It is conceivable that in the next 5 years that may people would prefer the new UI as it makes its way into the mainstream.

There is good precedent for this particular UI debate with the Ribbon in Office 2007/2010 where people we predicting all of these headaches and while I know there are always people that have problems, large scale user issues simply do not have occurred. In time the Start Menu is just going to fade unless there's a LOT more resistance to it than just cybergeeks and businesses talking about deployments years away.

There is good precedent for this particular UI debate with the Ribbon in Office 2007/2010 where people we predicting all of these headaches and while I know there are always people that have problems, large scale user issues simply do not have occurred.
Speak for yourself; I am still having to help my users with ribbons.

The last place I worked had an office install base of about 10,000 workstations. Office XP that is. They are just now rolling out 2010 ( staged roll out process ), and have come to the conclusion they are going to need to increase their help desk by at least 10 people to handle the "OJT" of the new office version. I only know about it because my former coworkers in the admin division are bitching that they are going to be pressed into service in the help desk to avoid adding personnel.

We rolled out about 200,000 Office 2003 to Office 2007 upgrades between 2009 and 2010. Overall it actually went pretty well. There's always people that have issues but we setup some online training stuff and we didn't have an overflow of problems. Now the Ribbon is just what the most people expect and if you went back to the menus you'd have the same issues as moving from them.

This UI debated boils down to what you're used to and what you can get used to, it's little more than that.

This thread can't be serious. I think I have read more FUD and wrong information in a few posts than I have on Reddit in a day. Seriously, facepalm. [H] is supposed to have intelligent people in here.

Wow. I'm leaving this thread. Too much like a TLC reality show in the making - Sketti and butter is most healthiest meal. You ain't gainin' weight if you's fart a lot.

There was a time when there were highly intelligent posters here, but, sad to say, those days are long gone. Lots of people post here who are blissfully dumb as dirt.

Sorry, had to be said.

This is an interesting thread, and here's why: For the first time in a long while, I have so many usability issues with a newly released Windows that I'm already starting looking forward to the next version, trying to imagine how those issues could possibly be addressed. And I see that I'm not alone in this.

No Windows was ever perfect, but only two of them had me pulling my hair as badly as Windows 8 does: Windows Me and Windows Vista. But those were different kinds of issues, having little to do with usability -- more like stability and performance.

I wish I could accept and embrace the new Windows as readily as Windows 7 (which I immediately fell in love with), but I can't, because there's something fundamentally wrong with it. And this something, in my understanding, has to do with the aforementioned usability. A large portion of problems, in my opinion, lies in the awkward ways of interaction between the Modern UI and the new, castrated desktop.

Would it be better if they removed the desktop entirely and forced us to cope with an OS fully based on full-screen apps? Could such be the future of Windows? I think we have more than enough reasons to start thinking ahead.

Back