Windows 9 Tech Preview Screenshots

Call me odd (well, I am) but I like the clean, cut, sharp edges of Win8 / 8.1 / 9. The crispness is a nice design. Never cared for the "Aero" -- too much fluff.
Have you met my lord and savor Windows Classic theme (up to Win 7)?:p
But seriously I never cared for the GUI of windows since NT 5.1 (XP) and I much prefer the GUI of NT 4.x (Win 95 to ME). But because the GUI and all themes of Win 8.x are fugly (yes, even the custom ones) AND don't have Windows Classic, I will not be upgrading ANY time soon.

Now they just need a Windows 7 theme so its not super flat and I'm sold.

This. Good step in the right direction but they need to give an option for an Aero like interface. I find the "Modern/Metro/Flat" look to be an eyesore and downright ugly. I have a hard time discerning borders on icons (especially hotmail/outlook) and I can only imagine how bad it would be if you have poor eyesight. Win 7 is just much easier and clear to navigate.

Also, make Ribbon optional. I find drop down menus much quicker.

All apps just loads the apps list at the bottom of the windows 8 metro screen in alphabetical order. Not a replacement for a proper windows 7 start menu with folders.

This thread proves people bitch for the sake of bitching.

You know...the best thing about Windows XP? Its great 13 years ago and it still gets it done perfectly today. Chump arse puzzy whining 'bout OS.

All apps just loads the apps list at the bottom of the windows 8 metro screen in alphabetical order. Not a replacement for a proper windows 7 start menu with folders.

8.1 bought 4 sorting options to All Apps. The sort "by date installed" and "by most used" options are extremely useful.

You know...the best thing about Windows XP? Its great 13 years ago and it still gets it done perfectly today. Chump arse puzzy whining 'bout OS.

Other than it doesn't support a lot of modern software and hardware, sure XP is awesome.

Their "designers" need to go. Honestly though, I have a feeling that their "designers" are really just engineers.

do they expect me to buy Win 9 just to get the start menu? I'm one of the people that doesn't care about it.

Yes, I'm curious as to what Windows 9 really has to offer. I mean, there are a lot of things they could still improve on. Just look at the fucking horrible search performance in Explorer.

I guess I'm odd too

Not really. Flat, or at least flatter design, has been adopted by virtually everyone these days. I got a look last week of a test version of one of the major internal web sites we use at the bank. Looks and acts very much like a modern app. For better or for worse, these design principles seem to be working and far more popular than many would want to believe. While Microsoft make be more extreme about it, flat design is what the people are very ok with. I don't have a problem with Aero glass but that effect, one way or another, will have zero to do with the success of Windows 9. Windows 8 didn't fail because of aesthetics and Windows 9 won't succeed because of them.

My biggest problem with the design isn't the flatness. In fact, I love flat design. Unfortunately, they went overboard and the UI has no depth. How about adding a simple shadow to an active window? A slight gradient isn't going to kill anyone either.

Yes, I'm curious as to what Windows 9 really has to offer. I mean, there are a lot of things they could still improve on. Just look at the fucking horrible search performance in Explorer.
? I've never had any issue with search performance in windows 7&8.1 ofc i index everything i care to search for and everything pops up in half a second.

Not really. Flat, or at least flatter design, has been adopted by virtually everyone these days. I got a look last week of a test version of one of the major internal web sites we use at the bank. Looks and acts very much like a modern app. For better or for worse, these design principles seem to be working and far more popular than many would want to believe. While Microsoft make be more extreme about it, flat design is what the people are very ok with. I don't have a problem with Aero glass but that effect, one way or another, will have zero to do with the success of Windows 9. Windows 8 didn't fail because of aesthetics and Windows 9 won't succeed because of them.
Which has made my life as a web designer very boring (though I do prefer flat design as an end user). Once upon a time I styled myself a web and graphic designer, but the graphics part has long since fallen by the wayside apart from icon and logo creation. Even logos have much simpler aesthetics these days.

As an aside, the beveled logo for [H] really is old school. :p

looks stupid, i hate it. gonna wait till windows 10 till they fix the fuck?

do they expect me to buy Win 9 just to get the start menu? I'm one of the people that doesn't care about it.

If the pro has increased support for software raid or JBOD stuff over 8 pro I'll upgrade my server.

FOR ME, and I know you will have a hard time trying to understand this, but why the hell do you need icons in the start menu? what purpose does it do? whats wrong with just having the names of the programs I'm looking for?
I find it really funny how worked up you guys are getting over the fact some simpleton like myself asking does microsoftt think people are so stupid that they need to put huge icons with names on it for people to find what they are looking for and does it matter that you can resize them, the answer is no it doesn't matter they still think the people using this crap is to stupid to find internet explorer or mail even though in windows 7 they stick an icon NEXT TO THE START BUTTON!

It may not necessarily be that people are stupid. Some times visual recognition is faster than reading the application name or part of the application name. Seeing the Chrome icon instantly tells you what it is and does vs just reading "Chrome" which is ambiguous. Likewise on live tiles if someone else uses the computer they may not know what the tile is for while it is updating or displaying something none specific so a label is handy.

Most people know the e icon is for Internet Explorer without having to read any text. Windows 9 will be some users first operating system experience and others don't mind some visual changes to help them navigate through it. We all started somewhere and no way in hell do I want to go back to anything predating windows 7 or constant dos usage again. F that disk...

I found Windows 8 an adjustment but it works great on my tablet and I like it overall. On my desktop (had I found a reason to switch from 7) I would have moded it to default to the desktop with a normal start menu since I can be more efficient that way.

So far from what I have seen this looks like a good mix between the live tiles and a traditional start menu. If we can edit the tile size and pin whatever we want there I think it will work well. Time will tell though but I like the idea of that section being open to my needs vs what Windows 7 forces there of which I use 3 of.

Simplifying the OS for an easier learning curve is beneficial to Microsoft and helps the adoption rate. If the technical users can still do their thing in it I see no problem. Will make my job easier if I have less to explain to users trying to figure it out.

Which has made my life as a web designer very boring (though I do prefer flat design as an end user). Once upon a time I styled myself a web and graphic designer, but the graphics part has long since fallen by the wayside apart from icon and logo creation. Even logos have much simpler aesthetics these days.

As an aside, the beveled logo for [H] really is old school. :p

Yup. Design has become quite stale and repetitive. As for the logo, how many designers would come up with this today :p

TRomwUb.png

Can't lie, I loved the concept when I first saw it and tried different ways to replicate it but it's crazy how often I see the long shadow on logos these days.

The start menu looks like you married windows start menu to the title screen from Partridge Family.

Still ugly, hopefully Microsoft will give the GUI a major overhaul in the final version, because the flat GUI is so boring, dull and ugly.

Why are they still using Vista icons after 3 generations of Windows? And ditch that stupid Segoe UI font as well, it looks strange and ugly.

My mail tile is showing my last three unread emails. My Tweetium tile the latest three incoming tweets. It's 87 outside. The Dow was down 19.71. Oil spiked up 1.38. A college friend has his birthday tomorrow. Again, this Windows 8 hate thing just gets WAY overblown. Why static icons are some inherently superior thing for smart people but something that can deliver all kinds of information instantly is for stupid people is at best a bad argument.

Heh, the first 2 things I did with the Start Screen was to shrink the tiles as much as possible and to turn off the tile updating. To me the tile updating was just a distraction.

Heh, the first 2 things I did with the Start Screen was to shrink the tiles as much as possible and to turn off the tile updating. To me the tile updating was just a distraction.

It's the same folks addicted to twitter and "trending" topics that love this sort of ridiculous UI. Some sites don't even give you the option of searching for news and articles by date. It's simply sorted as "trending topics", as if I give a fuck what other people consider interesting.

If I want a weather widget, I'll install one and pin it exactly where I want on my desktop. None of this "new information, look at me, look at how cool this is!" garbage.

I'm not even old, I can only imagine what middle aged folk are thinking when they see this stuff.

the tiles are there because people are stupid, so you have a big tile that says MAIL, you know click here for mail... INTERNET EXPLORER, click on that for internet explorer...this is idiocracy type stuff thats allm but Microsoft calls it innovation.

Guess they are going after the Apple crowd.... Too bad it won't work since it's not "hip" enough.

I really like the novel concept of the button on the lower left that shows an easy to access menu to quickly access applications. Seems like such a simple concept that it is amazing someone didn't come up with it 10 years ago. At least its here now, right, RIGHT?

I enjoyed the guy who called everyone who didn't want a regressive experience a luddite, which were technology haters because it automated tasks that stole their jobs... so they would go out and sabotage the equipment. Given that the piece of shit OS in fact gets in the way of any work getting done... well I would say it is a luddite's wet dream. Perhaps an intentional sabotage of productivity. I pretty well cannot stand apple anything, but here I am on a nearly 3k macbook because I hate windows 8 so much I'm actually using OSX. It sucks too, just not as bad, and that is an accomplishment. Vista wasn't that successful at getting on my nerves.

Because some people (not must techies) do not want to read and want to look for an icon. Put up a sign and people do not read it, but a facebook icon or twitter icon and certain people attention goes right to it. Some people have bad eye sight and it is hard to read little text versus much easier to see a big icon. The world does not revolve around just you...

FOR ME, and I know you will have a hard time trying to understand this, but why the hell do you need icons in the start menu? what purpose does it do? whats wrong with just having the names of the programs I'm looking for?
I find it really funny how worked up you guys are getting over the fact some simpleton like myself asking does microsoftt think people are so stupid that they need to put huge icons with names on it for people to find what they are looking for and does it matter that you can resize them, the answer is no it doesn't matter they still think the people using this crap is to stupid to find internet explorer or mail even though in windows 7 they stick an icon NEXT TO THE START BUTTON!

Windows 8 tried to unify the ui experience with start page, but too many complainers so now they will do start page for tablet and start menu for desktop. One part that worries me is if they get rid of desktop on tablets I wonder if that includes Surface Pro, would kind of make that worthless.

Ok, devils advocate here - I have windows 8 on my laptop (non-touch screen dirt cheap HP I picked up when Win 8 was released so I could become familiar with the OS), and windows 8 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Win 8 on the touchscreen tablet is a goddamn dream. And yes, the start tiles make sense, as the resolution of what friends and family habitually refer to as my "pork paws" (why oh why did I choose the installation and repair of microelectronic circuitry as a carrier? I am grossly unsuited to it from a purely physical stand point, I should punching cattle or something) is such that the tiles make accessing the programs I want to launch a lot easier than trying to fat finger my way around the desktop.

When it comes to tablets with touchscreen, it is brilliant.

That being said, yeah, for a desktop with a keyboard/mouse, trifle unnecessary.

Back