Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

AMD T-type

Supreme [H]ardness
So I downloaded 8.1 from Technet, but my question for anyone that has done it is, is this an update? or an upgrade?
For something that should seemingly have been discussed a lot, it is unusually difficult to find any discussion on this, anywhere, not just this forum.

I have a lot of programs installed that I do not want to deal with re-installing/fixing/re-activating because of work related reasons. Will this be an issue?

Also I already have Windows Media Center from the free key activations from MS last winter, will I lose that?

So I downloaded 8.1 from Technet, but my question for anyone that has done it is, is this an update? or an upgrade?
For something that should seemingly have been discussed a lot, it is unusually difficult to find any discussion on this, anywhere, not just this forum.

I have a lot of programs installed that I do not want to deal with re-installing/fixing/re-activating because of work related reasons. Will this be an issue?

Also I already have Windows Media Center from the free key activations from MS last winter, will I lose that?

I was running Windows 8 from TechNet and upgraded to 8.1 with no issues. All of my stuff came over.

Your windows media center will not work from what I have read on the internet.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is I have an installation of Creative Suite installed using a seat license of one of my clients for troubleshooting.
It was like pulling teeth to get them to let me use a license and I really don't want to deal with going through all that again if the program has to be re-activated or something.

As far as media center goes, it should work fine after re-entering your media center activation code.

what kind of key do you have to have? I have a windows 8 pro upgrade key that I paid $40 for it. will it work for windows 8.1 does anyone know anything about this issue? how does the update on windows update works do you have to input a key or is it just like any other update (no need for a key?)

As far as media center goes, it should work fine after re-entering your media center activation code.

Nope - been there done that. You will have to purchase a new $10 MCE key from the store. The freebies from W8 DO NOT work with 8.1 - there's threads all over TechNet about it and I ran into it myself.

Nope - been there done that. You will have to purchase a new $10 MCE key from the store. The freebies from W8 DO NOT work with 8.1 - there's threads all over TechNet about it and I ran into it myself.

You do but I do not. I am using the Media Center with the NFL game playing on Live TV. I am doing that in Windows 8.1 with the original Media Center Key installed. Of course, I activated with my Windows 8 key so that may have helped.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is I have an installation of Creative Suite installed using a seat license of one of my clients for troubleshooting.
It was like pulling teeth to get them to let me use a license and I really don't want to deal with going through all that again if the program has to be re-activated or something.

It shouldn't, I run the CS6 master suite and all my settings came over fine. My Adobe Acrobat X Pro had to rerun its installer, but it worked in the end.

I'm pretty sure it took my MCE key from 8.

My MCE code worked fine. Granted I don't really use it anymore, but it still works.

Most of the success with the old free MCE keys is because most people performed in-place upgrades. Those of us that did fresh installs ran into the problem. MS knows about the issue and their response is "When 8.1 is publically released, we'll fix it." No love for the MSDN/TechNet early adopters.

Most of the success with the old free MCE keys is because most people performed in-place upgrades. Those of us that did fresh installs ran into the problem. MS knows about the issue and their response is "When 8.1 is publically released, we'll fix it." No love for the MSDN/TechNet early adopters.

Or they just didn't schedule the fix to be ready and QA'd before the 8.1 public release date.

I've done two fresh installs of Windows 8.1 Pro with the MSDN ISO and my old MCE keys worked fine on both machines.

"When 8.1 is publically released, we'll fix it." No love for the MSDN/TechNet early adopters.

The MSDN/TechNet early adopters aren't supposed to be kicking back and watching TV on their computer anyways. MSDN and TechNet licenses cover the use of software for design, development, testing, modelling, etc., but not for personal use.

Considering that Media Center is hard to sell as something regularly being used within the MSDN/TechNet licenses, Microsoft doesn't really have a reason to prioritize Media Center over many of the more important issues.

Back