Windows 8 reboots out of nowhere?

Is there a log or something that I could look at after the computer randomly reboots? All I was doing was browsing the web and the screen just went black and rebooted. No error messages, no blue screen, nothing. Second time this has happened in the past few weeks. :(

Have you checked the event viewer? Hit the Windows key and type "event", it should show up under the "Apps" section.

Is there a log or something that I could look at after the computer randomly reboots? All I was doing was browsing the web and the screen just went black and rebooted. No error messages, no blue screen, nothing. Second time this has happened in the past few weeks. :(

What system? That usually implies a failing PSU or bad RAM on something...

The very first thing to check is RAM. Run Memtest86+. If Memtest86+ crashes during the test, turn off USB Legacy Support in your BIOS. Doing a full pass will take an hour or two. It is best to do at least three passes, overnight is good.

The other thing which this sounds like is "Automatic Updates". This is most likely turned on and is what will happen when the system needs to re-boot. You will not get notices at times and if you get a pop up it will stay for just a few seconds. Then you choose to delay the re-boot for a later time. Otherwise, the clock is running just like on Windows 7 and it will update with a re-boot like you describe.

I'll try memtest. Never had a problem with this RAM prior to Windows 8 though.

Actually there are three new things:

1) Windows 8
2) New video card
3) New SSD and Raptor drive

I made sure to turn off "automatically restart" in the event of a stop error. Still not seeing any BSODs.

Event Viewer doesn't say much.

There is a "Kernel-Power" under critical events which simply says:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I'll try memtest. Never had a problem with this RAM prior to Windows 8 though.

Actually there are three new things:

1) Windows 8
2) New video card
3) New SSD and Raptor drive

I made sure to turn off "automatically restart" in the event of a stop error. Still not seeing any BSODs.

Event Viewer doesn't say much.

There is a "Kernel-Power" under critical events which simply says:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Sounds like the video card + raptor may be straining your PSU. You sure that it can handle the load?

Post system specs and any O/C you might have going as well.

Back