Windows 8.1 first tile is always highlighted

tzhu07

Gawd
Everytime I bring up the Start Screen, the first tile in the upper-left corner is automatically selected with a white border around it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Just started happening recently.

tile-selected.png

I have not. Guessing you've tried a restart? I had some weird bug recently where the start button wasn't working (start button was showing on the screen, but clicking on it did nothing). It seemed to have gone away after the most recent updates.

Is it always the mail one or if you switch it does that highlight?

Any add ons?

Interesting that you're seeing the highlight, but it's a default behavior (sort of). For example, without seeing the highlight, whatever tile is in that first position will execute if you hit enter. I keep my "desktop" tile there, so if I hit start I can just hit enter and go back to the desktop. The only difference is that I don't see the outline on my tile.

Maybe it's an accessibility option or something you've turned on?

I just noticed--I don't see the first tile highlighted (also mail in my case), but if I'm in tiles just after logging in to my computer, if I hit enter, it opens mail. So the tile is selected. Just not showing as selected/highlighted under 'normal' circumstances, perhaps? If I'm in tiles, and I use the arrow keys, say the right arrow key, the calendar tile becomes highlighted in white. Then if I press back left, the Mail tile becomes highlighted in white. If I toggle to desktop and back to tiles mode, Mail is no longer highlighted in white.

Not sure if any of that helps...

Back