Windows 7: Peer Networking Grouping Service

c1001

Gawd
I setup a Homegroup on my laptop a year ago. I have three PCs on my home network. Yesterday I noticed that the laptop was not on the Homegroup, but the other two were.

When I tried to rejoin the Homegroup I get the message "Windows cannot setup a Homegroup on this computer". In services.msc the Homegroup services (HomeGroup Listener, HomeGroup Provider, Peer Name Resolution Protocol, Peer Networking Grouping and Peer Networking Identity Manager) are running except for Peer Networking Grouping service: "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start", and Peer Name Resolution Protocol: "Error 5: Access is denied". Both services seem to be dependencies of one another.

I have no ides if these services are what is actually preventing the laptop from joining the Homegroup, but they are a troubleshooting starting point. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

The laptop runs Windows 7 Professional, as do the other PCs.

In windows (Search program and files), type Services.msc There should be a list of active/inactive service.

Or follow the link for alternatives ways to find Services.msc

Find Peer Networking Grouping and Peer Networking Identity Manager, right click, Proprieties and set the Startup type to manual for both, and start the services with the button Start!

If its not starting, something like a anti-virus program is blocking it. You can try to set the startup type to automatic and see if it works!

Unfortunately they were already set to automatic. I cannot manually start them either.

So both of the services are started ?

Try to delete this file ! You have to activate Show Hidden Files and Folders

"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

Reboot and try a rejoin/refresh !

Deleting the idstore.sst worked! I am now on the homegroup. Thanks for your assistance Metraon!

Back