Windows 7 Licensing Question

Quick question about Windows 7 -- If I pay for the full retail version of Windows 7 (Home Premium) how many machines can I install it on? I have a Desktop, Macbook Pro, and a Netbook that I need copies for. I heard somewhere that you can install it on up to 3 machines. Is this true? I don't want to have to spend $600 on Windows Licenses.

Any suggestions?

A standard retail license is good for one installation on a single machine at a time. It looks though, like home premium will have a separate sku called a family pack, good for three installations. According to cnet, it'll sell for $149:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10300835-56.html

Say you have three computers: With the retail license, you can only have the operating system installed on one machine at a time. You can't put it on your Desktop, then put it on your Macbook, then put it on your netbook all at once. If you can get a family pack, you can install Win7 on any three machines at one time.

Say you have three computers: With the retail license, you can only have the operating system installed on one machine at a time. You can't put it on your Desktop, then put it on your Macbook, then put it on your netbook all at once. If you can get a family pack, you can install Win7 on any three machines at one time.

Can I use one 1 machine at a time? Then shut it down...use the next etc? I don't usually use any of the machines at the same time.

I don't think so. The windows check would fail IIRC because it checks your mobo if it's anything like Vista. I mean you could circumvent it by calling Microsoft when you activate it but it'd be a hassle to get 2 other activation codes + they might log it and block you due to it being the big release of Win7.

Well I supposed I could just buy OEM copies for my Netbook and Macbook Pro, any info on that pricing yet?

At that rate, you might as well just spring for the family pack TBH. Or you could get a technet sub and get Pro on all of them + office 2010 :)

I don't have any copies to upgrade to. The family pack is a giant upgrade pack. I'm trying to go legit ;)

I don't have any copies to upgrade to. The family pack is a giant upgrade pack. I'm trying to go legit ;)

You don't have something like XP Pro? if you're trying to go legit, technet is a great way TBH. I went that route ;) + early access to Win 7

I might have to -- but $350 a year is a bit steep. Especially every single year.

Using the coupons I got it for 295 after CA taxes. That's 6 computers + office on each of them ;) And I'm probably not going to pay next year since there's probably nothing I really want unless newer versions of Server come out and I have to learn them.

Using the coupons I got it for 295 after CA taxes. That's 6 computers + office on each of them ;) And I'm probably not going to pay next year since there's probably nothing I really want unless newer versions of Server come out and I have to learn them.

Don't you have to "stop" using those licenses after stop subscribing?

Don't you have to "stop" using those licenses after stop subscribing?

Nope, they're full retail and will last forever.

You get 10 licenses with 10 activations of each copy of Windows software minus the 98/2000 era due to Sun licensing minus server based software. You also get 1 key for each server version of Window Server.

Hence, why it's good for us techies since we're "technically" evaluating it ;) Just don't use it in production environments or resell.

Back