Windows 7 - How many drives will work

Sneak

Limp Gawd
I have Windows 7 on this comp. I also have 4 drives in it. 2 SSD's: a Vertex 120, and an M4 256. The other 2 drives are HD's: a WD 2Terrabyte mostly for data, music ect, and I have a Raptor 600 which I moved from and old comp when I built this one. It still has a bunch of games and files on it and still works great.

I have a WD 640 HD which I was thinking about popping in here simply to store photos on. Have plenty of space to connect in the case, on the power supply, and on the mother board. Was told that it might come up fine if I install it but Windows doesn't really like more than 4 drives and it will end up causing some problems.

So is that information Real, Un-real, Surreal , or what is the real story on Windows and the number of hard drives.

My fileserver running windows 7 has 16 drives currently installed in it...Windows doesn't give any fucks...

Thanks for the replies. The guy didn't say what the problems were. It was a quick comment and I left it at that.

16 drives on Windows 7, well that pretty well answers the question. I guess the info I got was....Surreal ! ;)

I am just gonna plug this drive in and see what happens. Nice to know Windows does not have a limit.

I've used systems with more than 4 drives and never had an issue.

Was told that it might come up fine if I install it but Windows doesn't really like more than 4 drives and it will end up causing some problems.

That guy has no idea what he is talking about...I'm running 10 drives in a file server for about 3 years now without a single fuck given by Windows...

I have Windows 7 on this comp. I also have 4 drives in it. 2 SSD's: a Vertex 120, and an M4 256. The other 2 drives are HD's: a WD 2Terrabyte mostly for data, music ect, and I have a Raptor 600 which I moved from and old comp when I built this one. It still has a bunch of games and files on it and still works great.

I have a WD 640 HD which I was thinking about popping in here simply to store photos on. Have plenty of space to connect in the case, on the power supply, and on the mother board. Was told that it might come up fine if I install it but Windows doesn't really like more than 4 drives and it will end up causing some problems.

So is that information Real, Un-real, Surreal , or what is the real story on Windows and the number of hard drives.

Whoever told you that probably was thinking about the old IDE days when it was harder and more expensive to add drives. You should have no trouble.

I've got more than 40 drives on my desktop, the only problem is the lack of letters in the alphabet ! I use mount points.

There may be some performance issues.

I frequently wait for long periods of time for local drives to "come up" in Explorer. Just first time access. The little progress bar goes across so slowly. That includes accessing SSDs.

But that might not be due to more than 4 drives.

I'm not aware of a real limit. I'm sure it's really high.

As someone already said just use mount points.

I've got more than 40 drives on my desktop, the only problem is the lack of letters in the alphabet ! I use mount points.

Wowzer!:eek::eek: What kind of case(s) do you use for all those drives?

So I popped this drive in the comp a few ago and so far it has not given me the Finger! Hope I run into the guy with the Un-Real info so I can tell him I have 5 drives in here. That's a first for me, never more than 4 before.

Thanks for the comments!

Back