Windows 7 Beta Goes Public

Humm downloading the ISO now. But I wasn't able to get to the page to get a key earlier :/.
Perhaps they will have it up again before my birthday in 5 days ^_^

yuppp, i HATE the new taskbar.....

thankfully the final will have the option to revert back....

7 beta consumes about 200mb less than my Vista install did, but other than that, i can't tell the different between the two at all.....

After over 2 years of Vista being out, you people still don't get that you can use this without a key?

No....some people do NOT know that. You can be so damn condescending sometimes. Not everyone knows as much as you or lives on these forums 24/7.

New message on Windows 7 Website:
Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

wow sweet so we still all may get a chance at the key :) as of now i am installing the windows 7 beta (downloaded from a link someone posted here hehe) and going to try it out and hope i can get a key before the 30days expire :D

Just finished downloading the x64 version and installed it to dual-boot. Now hopefully in the next couple of days can get my key.....:D WOOT!

It would seem that Microsoft is a little overwhelmed by the demand for Windows 7 beta and they are trying to beef up its infrastructure to handle the load. The direct link for the Windows 7 beta we posted earlier are still working and the download speeds are good but you will have to wait for Microsoft to get things straightened out before you can get a working key.

"Due to very heavy traffic we're seeing as a result of interest in the Windows 7 Beta, we are adding some additional infrastructure support to the Microsoft.com properties before we post the public beta," Microsoft said in a blog posting, which was itself hard to get to as of 1:20 p.m. PST. "We want to ensure customers have the best possible experience when downloading the beta, and I'll be posting here again soon once the beta goes live. Stay tuned! We are excited that you are excited!"

So why are people so jazzed about installing a beta operating system again?? It's not like you get upgraded to retail version when it's released or anything.

You ask that at a site dedicated to PC enthusiasts?

If this had been averagehomeuser.com, you might have a point. Here, not so much.

For those having download interruption issues, I'd recommend FDM (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/). Got it pulling down the x64 in 5 chunks at ~1150 KB/s. I think I have a new use for that blank HD I have laying around... Looking forward to seeing how well W7 runs on my hardware (Opteron 170, 4 GB of Ram, 7800GS (AGP))

How'd you get the download broken up in chunks? I'm trying the download through FDM, but I only see 1 "chunk".

so i was able to download the image that steve posted but when they fix things where do you go get a key ?

Mac[X-D];1033572398 said:
so i was able to download the image that steve posted but when they fix things where do you go get a key ?

The original page listed in the first post of this thread.

After 6 hours of waiting, I finally got my Windows 7 64 bit product key (the site seems to work sporadically) and the download is about to finish. Yay!

I really like the Beta. I like the new taskbar, I like the grouping of icons and able to pin what I want. If there was a way to make a new group that would be amazing. Windows 7 Beta has been running solid for me, all apps and all games. Photoshop seems to open a lot faster then it did in XP.

downloading.

does it see 2 monitors?
Yes, it does.
I have it installed on two PCs already.
On the older Opteron/s939 platform I needed NO drivers after install- it had them all and even went and found the printer drivers when I plugged it in.
The new(er) PC- e8400/P45/RAID 0 array- only needed a Creative driver to be completely functional.
Sleep works on both machines!

Pretty sweet actually.

After over 2 years of Vista being out, you people still don't get that you can use this without a key? And you can probably get a key over the next few days when interest dies down somewhat? Let's face it, 2.5 MILLION KEYS is a shitload of 'em, folks, if you apply for one in the next few days and the servers are able to manage it you'll get one.

Even so, you can install it without a key (it'll only install the Ultimate so you don't get any choice), and run it for 30 days... you can input the key and activate after you get it.

If by some VERY STRANGE stroke of luck you don't get a key, you can still use it and just use the slmgr.vbs -rearm command 3-4 times so you can stretch the useful period to ~120 days.

And one other thing: there will be OTHER BETAS, perhaps, maybe 1 more, but honestly I think it's ready to go to RC1 stage already... Win 7 could be out by summer, on store shelves, seriously, as long as nothing majorly wrong happens. So who the hell would want to run this Beta 1 all the way till it expires anyway?

So, if you've got the ISO(s), install the fucking thing and stop whining about the keys you don't even need. :D

yes but its hard to contribute to the devolopment with out one. not everyone is just interested in a free OP

Oh, and I didn't have any major problems with it... got it yesterday, (x64 version) installed this morning to an SSD drive actually..
Does it automatically disable scheduled disk defragmentor?

Also, has anyone got SLI to work on 7 yet? The last drivers I know that you could get from Windows Update didn't allow SLI. The most recent Vista ones also would not allow SLI to work on 7.

No....some people do NOT know that. You can be so damn condescending sometimes. Not everyone knows as much as you or lives on these forums 24/7.

Damn, I'm gonna have to work on that, was shooting for "all the time..." or something close. Crap...

I can tolerate some level of ignorance, it's outright stupidity that causes most of the problems, and it's quite rampant.

THat link just posted sure enough DOES give you the 64 bit keys. It works PERFECTLY!!! Just got my key. YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Am I crazy or blind or stupid? I dont see any key on that link and have not seen any download for the beta, Ive been watching it all day. Where on that page is everything?

That link in general is not working. If you're gung ho and you keep reloading that specific link constantly you might get lucky and get to the key distribution page, but considering there's probably a million people worldwide hitting it at the same time for no good reason, just be patient and try again in a few hours.

Microsoft can't possibly issue all 2.5 million keys in a single day, that simply won't happen, this shit will take several days so, check back tonight or tomorrow or whatever, you'll get one. You don't need a key to install the OS, just to activate it, and you can do that anytime in the first 30 days.

Geez... so much fanaticism over a damned key... good lord.

Why only 2.5 million? I bet if they didn't have that limit they wouldn't be so swamped.

I'm guessing statistically that 2.5 million keys will give them how much feedback they want but I'm willing to receive a key try windows 7 and not give them any feedback. They should make 2.5million+ keys where everyone over 2.5million will not be able to provide feedback.

Damn, I'm gonna have to work on that, was shooting for "all the time..." or something close. Crap...

I can tolerate some level of ignorance, it's outright stupidity that causes most of the problems, and it's quite rampant.

If it bothers you that much, then maybe you need to explore some other options.

YOu tried THIS link to get the key? Were you logged into your Passport account (or whatever it is called now)?

If not go to live.com and login then try this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/productkeys/win7-64/enus/default.aspx

The download link for x64 is http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.ISO

or get it off a torrent (more likely to work).

The above key link worked PERFECTLY for me when I clicked on it (I was logged in and had gotten through the page entering my name etc. when it would give me the error that asked me ot come back tomorrow).

After over 2 years of Vista being out, you people still don't get that you can use this without a key? And you can probably get a key over the next few days when interest dies down somewhat? Let's face it, 2.5 MILLION KEYS is a shitload of 'em, folks, if you apply for one in the next few days and the servers are able to manage it you'll get one.

Even so, you can install it without a key (it'll only install the Ultimate so you don't get any choice), and run it for 30 days... you can input the key and activate after you get it.

If by some VERY STRANGE stroke of luck you don't get a key, you can still use it and just use the slmgr.vbs -rearm command 3-4 times so you can stretch the useful period to ~120 days.

And one other thing: there will be OTHER BETAS, perhaps, maybe 1 more, but honestly I think it's ready to go to RC1 stage already... Win 7 could be out by summer, on store shelves, seriously, as long as nothing majorly wrong happens. So who the hell would want to run this Beta 1 all the way till it expires anyway?

So, if you've got the ISO(s), install the fucking thing and stop whining about the keys you don't even need. :D
QFT

Actually he is a computer enthusiast that doesn't live under a rock.

You are not Joe Average, you are way too smart and stuffs to be Joe Average. Shouldn't you buy in Best Buy buying Monster cables and Geforce 5200 512mb video cards? :D

That (first) link is for people who've already got their email confirmation.

um i think your the lie.... when i went there it just goes to the windows 7 page with no keys no downloads unless you can prove me wrong then my bad and sorry....
I'm sure that's the intended behavior if you're not logged in.

I'm sure that's the intended behavior if you're not logged in.

No...

...Because I clicked on the link and refreshed the page numerous times and I still cant get in. And it may take them a few days to keep up with the gigantic demand.

Back