Windows 7 Activation + Imaging

Terillius

Gawd
What methods are out there for management of Windows 7 computers as far as product key / activation? I just typed the product keys into 30 laptops and activated them only to have them start requesting the key again a few days later. :mad:

I know that MAK & KMS have a possibility of resetting if the activation servers aren't available for verification.

Using the OEM HP key from the sticker on the laptop. Windows 7 Pro

If it's got a sticker, it should already have a SLIC. All OEM keys are required to be activated through SLICs since Windows Vista. The SLICs are embedded in the BIOS, and the key printed on the sticker isn't necessarily the same one as the OEM SLIC key. When re-installing the same version on licensed hardware, you should not need to enter a key. Simply leave that part blank during the install and Windows will activate itself on first boot.

If the SLIC isn't automatically activating the Windows install, it's because it's not the same version of 7 as your key is for or the BIOS table containing the SLIC is corrupted or broken (unlikely to happen to a whole fleet of 30 laptops all at the same time).

If you are using a local KMS, disable it and have the machines activate directly over the internet with Microsoft.

If it's got a sticker, it should already have a SLIC. All OEM keys are required to be activated through SLICs since Windows Vista. The SLICs are embedded in the BIOS, and the key printed on the sticker isn't necessarily the same one as the OEM SLIC key. When re-installing the same version on licensed hardware, you should not need to enter a key. Simply leave that part blank during the install and Windows will activate itself on first boot.

If the SLIC isn't automatically activating the Windows install, it's because it's not the same version of 7 as your key is for or the BIOS table containing the SLIC is corrupted or broken (unlikely to happen to a whole fleet of 30 laptops all at the same time).
I think you are assuming he's reinstalling with official media, which it's obvious he is not.

OP, do you have the official media that came with the laptops?

installing over PXE i would hope with an image.

if you typed in the key and it is asking to activate again it could be someone nabbed those keys and activated them already - you may need to make a phone call to MS.

I think you are assuming he's reinstalling with official media, which it's obvious he is not.

All media for Windows 7 Professional is the same. Windows 7 Enterprise is the only version with its own OEM media, and even then, it can be installed completely from a retail disc.

EDIT: 7 Starter also has its own OEM media.

Last edited:
If it's got a sticker, it should already have a SLIC. All OEM keys are required to be activated through SLICs since Windows Vista. The SLICs are embedded in the BIOS...

...If the SLIC isn't automatically activating the Windows install, it's because it's not the same version of 7 as your key

This sounds reasonable since I used whatever Windows 7 disc I had lying around. Probably from an OEM system builder kit since I have a huge collection of those from a Newegg lab build. I always thought all Win7 media identical.

I'm leaning toward figuring out setting up a KMS. Will that work in my situation as far as type of keys, etc? I have a Windows 2008 domain.

All media for Windows 7 Professional is the same. Windows 7 Enterprise is the only version with its own OEM media, and even then, it can be installed completely from a retail disc.

EDIT: 7 Starter also has its own OEM media.
I understand it's all the same. However, SLIC activation does not work with standard OEM (system builder) media. The media must include the matching XRM-MS certificate, which is included with official media, and installed when the OS is installed from official media. Also, with Windows 7, you must use an autounattended or other form of scripting to install the product key when doing SLIC activation. Now, if you don't have official media but you have an OEM installation, you can extract the XRM-MS certificate and copy that to an basic OEM disc and use that, along with a autounattended or script, and create essentially your own official OEM media. I've done this method before and it works great. I take a basic 7 disc (like you said, they are all the same), then copy the certificate into the proper folder on the disc, then create an autounattend with the product key, and install. I get a totally clean 7 install that is completely pre-activated. Entering a product key or activating is not required with this method.

At this point I reboot into Audit mode, make changes to the image, then use sysprep with an unattended xml to copy the configuration to default profile, as well as some other things. After it shuts down I copy that image, then deploy. So I end up with an image that can be deployed to all like-model machines, that's pre-activated, and includes all of my custom installed software.

=Terillius;1038460694]This sounds reasonable since I used whatever Windows 7 disc I had lying around. Probably from an OEM system builder kit since I have a huge collection of those from a Newegg lab build. I always thought all Win7 media identical.

I'm leaning toward figuring out setting up a KMS. Will that work in my situation as far as type of keys, etc? I have a Windows 2008 domain.
KMS would be nice, but for only 30 laptops, MAK would probably be easier for you. But again, I just pointed out that you can use OEM media and create an image that is pre-activated. Buying 30 KMS/MAK keys would be a waste since you already have paid for the OS. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not officially support the method I've use, but I only did that on about 20 stations.

Last edited:
Back