Windows 2003 Domain problems

aphex187

Gawd
I recently had to replace a Windows NT 4.0 Server that was a PDC. It was replaced with a a server running Windows 2003 Server Small Business edition. I set the new server up and created a brand new domain and users and began going to the client computers (XP and 2000) and adding them to the domain.

I am having problems however. The computers successfully get added to the domain but when I try and access files on the server that I have shared and given correct permissions too, i am getting ACCESS DENIED.

Is there some security setting out of the box that I didn't look at. With Windows 2000, doing the above usually worked without a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Did you change the file server to grant access to users/groups on your new active directory domain?

file server added to the active directory domain?

just a quick guess

Originally posted by dbwillis
Did you change the file server to grant access to users/groups on your new active directory domain?

file server added to the active directory domain?

just a quick guess

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean.

I did set up users under "Active Directory users and computers" and then gave them permissions to the certain folders i wanted them to access - is that what you mean?

I can VIEW the shared folders on the server. But if i try and copy a file to the folder, make a new document inside the folder I get "access denied"

EDIT: The 'fileserver' is the same Windows 2003 server. I only have the one server.

theres 2 levels of security directory security (e.g does the share live on an NTFS drive?) and share permission. Think of it this way, just because i give you share permission doesn't mean you have directory security. Hope i got this right, hope it helps

What he's talking sounds like an option in the server settings to carry over the usernames/permissinos from the active directory to apply to the folder security.

Back