Windows 11’s AI-powered Copilot (and its Bing-powered ads) enters public preview

erek

[H]F Junkie
Pretty impressive

""Over time, features will be added as we refine the Windows Copilot experience with Windows Insiders," reads the company's blog post.

FURTHER READING​

Why ChatGPT and Bing Chat are so good at making things up
Integrating Copilot at the operating system level will also allow it to change some Windows settings and execute some commands, which might save less-technical users the effort of digging through the Settings app or learning keyboard shortcuts. Microsoft's examples include turning on dark mode or Do Not Disturb or taking a screenshot.

Copilot will also launch with Bing ads right out of the gate. Microsoft will serve you ads that the company "think is relevant." Copilot is governed by the same privacy statement that applies to the rest of Bing.

As usual, the new Insider Preview build also comes with various other fixes, features, and changes. The Settings app is getting a redesigned "homepage" with "cards" that give you information about different things or let you quickly change common settings—though of the seven cards Microsoft is introducing today, four are related to Microsoft account services like Microsoft 365, OneDrive, Xbox subscription settings, and account recovery. The others will show you your connected Bluetooth devices, let you quickly change your desktop theme, and make recommendations for tweaking your settings.

This will also be the first Windows 11 build to add native support for compressed archives other than the longstanding .zip format, thanks to the open source libarchive library. Windows 11 will now support reading all kinds of .tar files, plus RAR, 7-zip files, and other formats.

The Settings app homepage and some other features are being rolled out gradually and may not be available to everyone who installs the new preview, at least not immediately. For a full list of changes and known issues, read the blog post here."

1688085594571.png

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-ai-chat-to-desktops-in-first-public-preview/

Last edited:
Pretty impressive

""Over time, features will be added as we refine the Windows Copilot experience with Windows Insiders," reads the company's blog post.

FURTHER READING​

Integrating Copilot at the operating system level will also allow it to change some Windows settings and execute some commands, which might save less-technical users the effort of digging through the Settings app or learning keyboard shortcuts. Microsoft's examples include turning on dark mode or Do Not Disturb or taking a screenshot.

Copilot will also launch with Bing ads right out of the gate. Microsoft will serve you ads that the company "think is relevant." Copilot is governed by the same privacy statement that applies to the rest of Bing.

As usual, the new Insider Preview build also comes with various other fixes, features, and changes. The Settings app is getting a redesigned "homepage" with "cards" that give you information about different things or let you quickly change common settings—though of the seven cards Microsoft is introducing today, four are related to Microsoft account services like Microsoft 365, OneDrive, Xbox subscription settings, and account recovery. The others will show you your connected Bluetooth devices, let you quickly change your desktop theme, and make recommendations for tweaking your settings.

This will also be the first Windows 11 build to add native support for compressed archives other than the longstanding .zip format, thanks to the open source libarchive library. Windows 11 will now support reading all kinds of .tar files, plus RAR, 7-zip files, and other formats.

The Settings app homepage and some other features are being rolled out gradually and may not be available to everyone who installs the new preview, at least not immediately. For a full list of changes and known issues, read the blog post here."

View attachment 580275
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-ai-chat-to-desktops-in-first-public-preview/
3/4th of your post has strike through, just FYI.

Reactions: erek
like this
It will be more interesting when we will start to talk in good mic after building confidence, you finish your text document in your text editor and just say out loud email it to x with the subject line being Y and write a small summary of the text in the email and generate an image that match that summary at the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
Comedy. If I want to use ChatGPT I'll just use ChatGPT - no need for a data collecting, ad-spamming middleman taking up residency in the OS.
...or Perplexity.AI (provides sources) or many others...

This was rolled out to everybody in the most recent update to Windows 11. If you notice a new button in your taskbar next to the Start button you have it. Here's how to disable it:

Group Policy Editor
User Configuration
Administrative Templates​
Windows Components​
Windows Copilot​
Set the "Turn off Windows Copilot" setting to Enabled​
Registry
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]
"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella wants Copilot to replace the Start button in Windows 12. How well has that worked out for Microsoft in the past, Satya?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2115354/nadella-copilot-is-the-new-windows-start-button.html

Last edited:
...or Perplexity.AI (provides sources) or many others...
In both case ($20 a month for perplexity) you need to pay for GPT-4.x, making the free ads version versus just use deal sound worse than it is.

This was rolled out to everybody in the most recent update to Windows 11. If you notice a new button in your taskbar next to the Start button you have it. Here's how to disable it:

Group Policy Editor
User Configuration
Administrative Templates​
Windows Components​
Windows Copilot​
Set the "Turn off Windows Copilot" setting to Enabled​
Registry
Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella wants Copilot to replace the Start button in Windows 12. How well has that worked out for Microsoft in the past, Satya?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2115354/nadella-copilot-is-the-new-windows-start-button.html
soon as it showed up on insider i turned that shit off. whats annoying me now are all the round corners.....

Last edited:
soon as it showed up on inside i turned that shit off. whats annoying me know are all the round corners.....
I've just GPO disabled it across the board for now, not even sure it's available to enterprise versions yet but I don't have time to deal with the potential PIA paperwork having it there could generate so until I have time to sit down with the white paper Microsoft undoubtedly has on exactly what it does on the systems and what it tracks it will remain off unless specifically requested by somebody I have to say yes to, which is not many and they are mostly mac users.

Yup I disabled it for everyone but just a small group. Its my last week at my current job and how shitty management is and how users are pushing for AI, no doubt the next sucker who takes this job will have to deal with all of that shenanigans..

This is why I stopped using Windows, 2 years ago. They will insert ads from data they collected on you. Sure you can disable it, but why is this included with an update? I'd like to see what happens when peoples adblockers remove the ads that Microsoft inserts.

yc4kkbw4naob1.png

windows vs linux subscription.jpg

Pretty impressive

FURTHER READING​

Integrating Copilot at the operating system level will also allow it to change some Windows settings and execute some commands, which might save less-technical users the effort of digging through the Settings app or learning keyboard shortcuts.
It would also help if Microsoft would stop buying settings in more and more submenus. Every version of Windows since Windows XP has made simple things like changing your desktop resolution or showing desktop icons more and more difficult and less intuitive. The interfaces have literally gotten worse in each update. Windows 7 is often seen as the peak for Windows in terms of its interface but even it buried some things an extra layer down compared to XP.

Needing an AI based helper to help you with what should be effortlessly intuitive is laughable and just shows how far out of touch with reality Microsoft has gotten.

I've been on Win11 Pro since release and never saw an advertisement.
I saw them at some point, they were under the form of suggested yet to be installed app in my start menu presented in a very similar way to already installed one (say spotify, instagram), would you click on them that would start their installation I imagine.

I saw them at some point, they were under the form of suggested yet to be installed app in my start menu presented in a very similar way to already installed one (say spotify, instagram), would you click on them that would start their installation I imagine.
those are not the ads being implied, and those have been there for years and years and have changed over time. they also dont show up on our edu version, which is nice.

Copilot recently intruded on my Edge browser on my work machine. (That's the only place I ever use it, and only ever for web-apps.)

No, I don't want my outlook email in my web browser, and I don't want some dumb AI language model in there either.

I hate how that browser is always trying to scope creep me.

I just want a browser Anything that is not directly involved in rendering site content or navigating the site can go die in a fire. I hate the damn side bar that keeps popping up time and time again even after I tell it to go away, every time Microsoft introduces some new useless feature I don't want, but they desperately want me to use for some reason.

Fuck bloat. I want a browser that is a browser and only a browser, and doesn't try to "recommend content" or sync anything or even find me deals on a webpage. None of that. Just render the damn webpage the way the webpage designer intended it, and do nothing else. By all means, offer plugin support so I can add 3rd party functionality if I so desire, but that should be it. I also want an OS that is only an OS and doesn't come with an ecosystem of applications and features.

Like, I understand that people have different interests and desires from their tech. And that is fine. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. But why for the love of god do they feel like it is OK to pester everyone every time they roll out something new?

Like seriously. If I want something, I will go looking for it. If it is foisted on me, 99.999% of the time I will reject it outright and never use it again. If I as much as get a popup that says something like "try the new <blank>" I will be filled with a murderous rage. I should never see anything like that.

Absolutely everything, no matter what it is, should be disabled by default, and opt in only.

I want my computer to behave the way it did from 2006 to 2015, and not a single feature that is newer than that. In fact, if I could, I'd rather subtract from that. Already then Windows was too bloated with all of the included software.

Last edited:
This is why I stopped using Windows, 2 years ago. They will insert ads from data they collected on you. Sure you can disable it, but why is this included with an update? I'd like to see what happens when peoples adblockers remove the ads that Microsoft inserts.

View attachment 611670

Where do they insert these ads? I've never seen one.

Closest I've seen in Windows that would resemble an ad are the "recommendations" for apps from the Windows Store in the start menu. And that sucks, but it is nowhere near as intrusive as this.

Advertisements on the OS level is this just for "Home" users? I've been on Win11 Pro since release and never saw an advertisement. I did get the Copilot update but immediately disabled it.

I do run OOS after each update though.

What is OOS in this context?

No, I don't want my outlook email in my web browser, and I don't want some dumb AI language model in there either.
I'm in the same situation and oh my stars and garters, that is really annoying. No, I don't need you to open a sidebar with the email I just clicked a link on. I can remember in the 3 seconds it took for the browser to open and the page to load, why I'm there. Fortunately you can disable it, but it's stupid.

Where do they insert these ads? I've never seen one.

Closest I've seen in Windows that would resemble an ad are the "recommendations" for apps from the Windows Store in the start menu. And that sucks, but it is nowhere near as intrusive as this.
I saw ads when I used Windows 10 for things like Office 365 and other stuff. It would just pop up. That ad is from Bing Chat, so if you use Copilot I assume now you'll see ads.
https://winaero.com/windows-11-copilot-ads/
windows-copilot-ads.jpg

Hmm. Interesting. I usually go through all the settings and pretty much disable everything upon upgrade, but this might make it a little bit more convenient.

I use it and it makes it pretty much painless. You click it after updates and it tells you what has been changed, and you can change it back. It also show you all the things you can turn off, and what you shouldnt.

Back