Windows 10 users: Get ready to be bugged about creating a Microsoft Account

I don't believe that's true. What if any of these things that I find most annoying in W10/11 are court mandated?

• The constant push to upgrade to windows 11
  • The pressure to use cortana then copilot ai
  • Removal of most UI customization options
  • Fragmentation / hiding of options from users that were previously accessible easily in the control panel
  • Pushing online account instead of local
The court mandated things that I heard about are actually good things like allowing the removal of their built in apps.
Not court mandated, just policy created as a result of a lost case to prevent the same lawsuit from happening again. Annoying policies and procedures and seemingly pointless warnings and buttons usually result from those.
Thats the problem with being the goto for the masses, you often get blindsided by the new bigger idiot.

just create a 'fake' account using a throwaway/Spam e-mail address...that's what I always do...no need to overcomplicate things by creating a Local account etc...everyone should have multiple e-mails...only use your 'real' e-mail for banking and other official business

just create a 'fake' account using a throwaway/Spam e-mail address...that's what I always do...no need to overcomplicate things by creating a Local account etc...everyone should have multiple e-mails...only use your 'real' e-mail for banking and other official business
Yeah you need at least 3, one for resumes, banking, and the official things, one for Google because they are everywhere, and at least one throw away. Just use my ISP email for the throw away because they can be created and destroyed on a whim.

Or you know just use the one, with your actual name, and say to the world fuck you track me, I’m not stuck on this rock with you, your stuck here with me!

Last edited:
If you sign in with [email protected] and then use any random password during the initial set up when it asks to sign into a Microsoft account, it will say there's an issue and then allow you to make a local account.

If you sign in with [email protected] and then use any random password during the initial set up when it asks to sign into a Microsoft account, it will say there's an issue and then allow you to make a local account.
Well now everyone needs you to authenticate the account so you can’t use one that disappears into the void.

But one benefit to having access to a major DNS and Domain service is you can just create new domains and matching aliases on a whim.

Well now everyone needs you to authenticate the account so you can’t use one that disappears into the void.
What?

But one benefit to having access to a major DNS and Domain service is you can just create new domains and matching aliases on a whim.
I just use Hide My Email for throwaway accounts since it comes with my Apple One subscription.

What?

I just use Hide My Email for throwaway accounts since it comes with my Apple One subscription.
You’ve never signed up for something and they insist on sending you an email that you have to click a link in to verify that the email address exists and you actually have access to it to proceed with the account creation??

You’ve never signed up for something and they insist on sending you an email that you have to click a link in to verify that the email address exists and you actually have access to it to proceed with the account creation??
I was talking about bypassing the set up to create a local account. [email protected] is a Microsoft account that's been closed down. So when you use [email protected] and use any random password, it creates an error and lets you create a local account. You don't even need to make a Microsoft account to use this method. I use throwaway emails to sign up for things all the time.

I was talking about bypassing the set up to create a local account. [email protected] is a Microsoft account that's been closed down. So when you use [email protected] and use any random password, it creates an error and lets you create a local account. You don't even need to make a Microsoft account to use this method. I use throwaway emails to sign up for things all the time.
Oh…. That’s actually pretty cool, I don’t even remember the last time I set up a home edition so I don’t know the tricks there.

I’ll be honest I don’t know any residential users who use Microsoft they have all migrated to Apple or they just use a tablet be it Apple or Android. So outside work or my personal machine I rarely encounter Windows as an OS.

As stated, considering ISO standards, MS Office is the least compatible office suite marketed as the most compatible.
Irrelevant in the corporate market. Since everyone uses MS Office, it is a DE FACTO standard. And no one gives two hoots about Office being the least compatible, because there is no need for ISO-compatible software w/r/t Office.

When I was a consultant, I was told I needed MS Office, because all the clients used Office and expected the consultants to use it. And NO, an open source version of Office was not acceptable.

I am not an MS fanboy, but all this hating on MS is, well I can't say what I really think so I don't get banned for a while.

It's not just the low market share of desktop Linux. it's the large number of versions and releases. Maybe Linux as a catergory has 4% market share, but what is the market share of any given distro? How much less than 1% You aren't going to get Adobe or Intuit interested in developing (and testing ....) for that kind of market. And what happens when Joe Linux calls and says, "My distro is XYX, which you don't support?" What is the vendor supposed to do? Having lived in that world, I know that software vendors get real nervous about supporting their product on an untested platform.
This isn't a problem with Linux. This is a problem with Windows and MacOS where different versions can widely determine software compatibility. All GNU/Linux distros work the same. The only thing stopping you from using software is dependencies, which can change between distros. Even that has been solved with tools like AppImage and Flatpak. You don't see Steam with distros it doesn't work on. As long as your Linux distro is relatively new, it will run the software.

This isn't a problem with Linux. This is a problem with Windows and MacOS where different versions can widely determine software compatibility. All GNU/Linux distros work the same. The only thing stopping you from using software is dependencies, which can change between distros. Even that has been solved with tools like AppImage and Flatpak. You don't see Steam with distros it doesn't work on. As long as your Linux distro is relatively new, it will run the software.
Not even remotely true.
If all GNU/Linux distro’s worked the same that would be a godsend. It doesn’t and that’s why there are so many different flavours of Linux.
Linux strength is its flexibility not its interoperability or cross compatibility.
If it actually did what you claim it did then it would have long supplanted Microsoft as the defacto OS.
The closest Linux OS to actually doing this was Ubuntu before the Linux community freaked out about it becoming too mainstream and forked it to all hell, and the fallout from that got us Android and ChromeOS, not the unified Linux platform the community wanted but the one they got after self sabotaging their best hope.

The entire Adobe suite, among many other things. I can't run my business without it. I also run QuickBooks for my business, which doesn't run properly in Wine. The last half of your post is nonsense. There's nothing wrong with Linux except for the lack of software support. Acting like software support isn't an issue on Linux is more annoying than anything else. Lack of software is the real harsh reality for Linux. This is not a fault of Linux itself, but a lack of marketshare, which makes developing for it not worth it for many large companies ... large companies that develop the software I need ... that doesn't work in Linux.

I do agree with you that people in Linux forums are generally more educated about the OS than people in Microsoft forums. Also, Microsoft tech support is a complete joke.

Well there is exactly your problem. Expecting to use commercial software. Any commercial software.

Not even remotely true.
If all GNU/Linux distro’s worked the same that would be a godsend. It doesn’t and that’s why there are so many different flavours of Linux.
Linux strength is its flexibility not its interoperability or cross compatibility.
When you break down a distro you start to see a lot of similarities. How many distros use SystemD? How many use Mesa for graphics? We know they all use the Linux kernel. The things that do change are UI's, settings, preinstalled applications, and defaults. Some distros go much further like Arch which updates often. Arch uses pacman while Debian and Ubuntu based distros use apt-get, but both still function the same. They all use the same dependencies, but not always the same versions.
If it actually did what you claim it did then it would have long supplanted Microsoft as the defacto OS.
No it wouldn't. Go back 10 years or more and wifi and sound didn't work unless you did some terminal commands and installed them. Your only ability to run Windows applications on Linux was through Wine, which was stuck at version 2.3 for years because Codeweavers kept all the wine patches to themselves. Mesa graphic drivers were really bad.
The closest Linux OS to actually doing this was Ubuntu before the Linux community freaked out about it becoming too mainstream and forked it to all hell,
Everyone forks Ubuntu because Ubuntu is popular. Same reason why they fork Debian. Linux Mint has a Debian version just in case Ubuntu goes crazy and makes a lot of things proprietary.
and the fallout from that got us Android and ChromeOS, not the unified Linux platform the community wanted but the one they got after self sabotaging their best hope.
Google would have never make a GNU/Linux distro. Android is just Google trying to fight Apple, and ChromeOS is just Google trying to push people towards using the Chrome web browser. No idea where you get the idea that Ubuntu indirectly created Android and ChromeOS.
Quoting for hilarity. Yeah, maybe that's the case if you're talking about cutsey Mint vs. PopOS or something. But I promise you anyone who has administered linux in an enterprise environment spit out their drink when they read your statement.
Why do I care about enterprise workers? Assuming Red Hat here which isn't too different from Fedora, which is in itself an upstream of Red Hat. CentOS is also an upstream of Red Hat. You start to see a pattern here.

Well there is exactly your problem. Expecting to use commercial software. Any commercial software.
I wouldn’t say that… I’ve worked in plenty of places where we paid out the ass for commercial software that only ran on Linux or BSD, one of my first development jobs was for warehousing and purchasing and it was designed for primarily those two.

Last edited:
Why do I care about enterprise workers? Assuming Red Hat here which isn't too different from Fedora, which is in itself an upstream of Red Hat. CentOS is also an upstream of Red Hat. You start to see a pattern here.
Because in Enterprise where Linux reigns supreme the compatibility issues are massive and incredibly problematic to deal with. RedHat and Cent are similar but it takes a lot of work to make so something designed for one to work on the other, and within them just moving between versions is painful.

Everyone forks Ubuntu because Ubuntu is popular. Same reason why they fork Debian. Linux Mint has a Debian version just in case Ubuntu goes crazy and makes a lot of things proprietary.
There was a time when Ubuntu was poised to be a serious threat to Microsoft, it had major OEM support with Dell, HP, and IBM backing it, Canonical was firing on all cylinders and Microsoft was actually doing active damage control against it. Then the community got huffy that Ubuntu was too popular and that’s not what Linux was about, they declared them sellouts and it fell apart, overnight it went from being something widely supported in Enterprise and something Microsoft actively feared to a footnote. All it’s resources went from being a unified front to a fractured civil war and honestly Linux as a mainstream consumer product still hasn’t recovered.

In its place Android and ChromeOS stepped up to fill the void, a huge step backwards from what could have been.

Last edited:
Not court mandated, just policy created as a result of a lost case to prevent the same lawsuit from happening again. Annoying policies and procedures and seemingly pointless warnings and buttons usually result from those.
Thats the problem with being the goto for the masses, you often get blindsided by the new bigger idiot.
How is axing ui customization and the other things I listed protection from lawsuits? Did they ever say that? I would not think them that brazen. This entire narrative smells of white knightery.

How is axing ui customization and the other things I listed protection from lawsuits? Did they ever say that? I would not think them that brazen. This entire narrative smells of white knightery.
No the half assed UI is just Microsoft trying to be Apple and Microsoft at the same time and their own bureaucratic bullshit preventing them from making any progress.
How do we look like Apple while still supporting 640x480 resolution and still sort of looking like us. Each page for each menu needing triplicate sign off from 4 different departments in 5 different time zones while 2 managers worry about how to translate the name.

Microsoft operates as a clusterfuck of a senate where Apple is/was very much a dictatorship. Dictatorships move fast, senates not so much unless they fear their jobs.

Last edited:
I really don’t know how people tolerate MacOS. It’s stuck on an ancient version of bash and command output doesn’t match Linux meaning you can’t do local development for a Linux environment, and compatibility with other desktop software isn’t there. 2 weeks ago we had a client call using MS teams - The windows users on the call had zero issues, but the guys running M3 Macs couldn’t get it installed.

I would love to understand the love for macOS, as I’ve yet to see it be preferable to windows running Oracle Linux under WSL.

I really don’t know how people tolerate MacOS.
Because it's great, and the design language is consistent between all apps, so their interoperability is infinitely better than Windows, and the UI is consistent across the entire OS. Also Apple's ecosystem and it's synchronicity between all their products makes it extremely convenient to use. As an example, I could have my hands full and take a phone call on my Apple Watch, and then I can pass that phone call to my Mac without ever dropping the call. AirDrop, handoff between devices, and a million other things as well. There's also a lot of built-in features that I don't need to install separate apps for.

2 weeks ago we had a client call using MS teams - The windows users on the call had zero issues, but the guys running M3 Macs couldn’t get it installed.
That's because whoever was using the Macs are morons. You download the installer pkg from Microsoft's website, run it, then open Teams. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/download-app

It's seriously not complicated. You having morons you interact with isn't a mark against macOS. It's a mark agains the morons you have to interact with.

Because it's great, and the design language is consistent between all apps, so their interoperability is infinitely better than Windows, and the UI is consistent across the entire OS. Also Apple's ecosystem and it's synchronicity between all their products makes it extremely convenient to use. As an example, I could have my hands full and take a phone call on my Apple Watch, and then I can pass that phone call to my Mac without ever dropping the call. AirDrop, handoff between devices, and a million other things as well. There's also a lot of built-in features that I don't need to install separate apps for.
I’m sure that integration is all great if corporate security doesn’t lock you out of it all. Even if I was one of those guys willing to buy a personal MacBook to use in parallel with my work one for all the integrated features with my iPhone / whatever, it still doesn’t solve the issues that nothing that interacts directly with Linux is directly portable from local Mac development to the Linux servers. And even for entirely local use cases, the Mac configuration is lacking.

For example, a common use case for our DBAs is launching 3 containers for a local sharded database environment. It’s about a 24gb footprint on the window boxes, but since the images are x86, the Mac guys can’t just fire up the containers. Furthermore the standard corporate Mac configuration is 16GB of ram, so unless we screw around requesting non standard laptops, it’s a non starter. Yes, it can be made to work, but it’s a PITA compared to windows and Linux.

I’m sure that integration is all great if corporate security doesn’t lock you out of it all. Even if I was one of those guys willing to buy a personal MacBook to use in parallel with my work one for all the integrated features with my iPhone / whatever, it still doesn’t solve the issues that nothing that interacts directly with Linux is directly portable from local Mac development to the Linux servers. And even for entirely local use cases, the Mac configuration is lacking.

For example, a common use case for our DBAs is launching 3 containers for a local sharded database environment. It’s about a 24gb footprint on the window boxes, but since the images are x86, the Mac guys can’t just fire up the containers. Furthermore the standard corporate Mac configuration is 16GB of ram, so unless we screw around requesting non standard laptops, it’s a non starter. Yes, it can be made to work, but it’s a PITA compared to windows and Linux.
I was simply explaining why people like Macs. I don't do any of that, so it doesn't affect me whatsoever. Since your company does not play well with Macs, it makes sense why you wouldn't use them. Alternatively, you can run Windows or Linux in a VM via Parallels, but it won't be as efficient as using them natively (obviously).

RIP the poor bastard who legitimately owns that email and hasn't been able to log into their Microsoft account for ages because it's perpetually hitting the bad login limit and getting timed out.

I think this does actually work now and you can run X86 images on Mac. Might just need to explicitly pass
--platform linux/amd64 to Docker or something, but I'm almost positive it's possible. Obviously there will be a bit of a performance penalty, though.

Also development on 16gb sounds like a horror show, especially with containers and databases.

Dude says it better than me.

Dude says it better than me.
View attachment 649084
What on earth does this have to do with anything? His point about SMS sucking ass is not the fault of Apple, it's the fault of Google not being able to decide on a standard. They've had 400 different chat apps that when people get used to finally using them, they cancel the service. Case in point: https://killedbygoogle.com/

His opinion about Apple making inferior products is 100% his opinion. And he's free to have it. I wholeheartedly disagree. I know this is the opinion you share, which is why you always post videos of this caliber of diarrhea constantly in here.

iMessage has almost been a thing for as long as iPhones were a thing. It's a selling point of the iPhone. Apple keeping it to themselves is 100% the choice of Apple as it's their technology. It lets you message other people with iPhones even if they don't have a phone number. Google could have easily created something similar on Android. But they never did. There still would be an issue of iPhone to Android communication, but this isn't even an argument, because you get the same shitty level of low quality pics and videos when an Android user is SMS texting another Android user. It has nothing to do with iPhone and Android communication. But every friend and family member I have that uses Android, we all use Telegram, Whatsapp, or any number of alternative chat apps and we all get along fine and are able to send each other high quality pics and videos without any problems. It's literally a non-issue. On top of that, the issue is mostly going to go away once Apple integrates RCS later this year with iOS 18. Granted, they were forced to do this by the EU, but every company does shit things all the time. But this is still going to be an issue for Android users on older devices and devices that will pretty much never get RCS. So this is again not an Apple problem. Apple isn't perfect. In fact, oftentimes, they can be downright stingy assholes. That doesn't make Apple products inferior. It just makes Apple an insufferable company at times. But every company does stupid things. Google constantly shutting down services that people enjoy is my biggest issue with Google. Do you want to talk about how SMS texting as the default for Android to Android communication is the same shitty experience? Or do you realize this shuts down the entire stupid argument?

RIP the poor bastard who legitimately owns that email and hasn't been able to log into their Microsoft account for ages because it's perpetually hitting the bad login limit and getting timed out.
They made this account on purpose. The account is dead, banned, and can't be used. That's why it comes back with an error when you try to sign in with it. So this is nonsense.

They made this account on purpose. The account is dead, banned, and can't be used. That's why it comes back with an error when you try to sign in with it. So this is nonsense.

It worked with literally any Microsoft account that was locked from failed logins. You could even just hammer your own account like 5-10 times.

This is why the also common "[email protected]" one worked. Citi Bank owns this domain.

This was just a failsafe that people abused.

It worked with literally any Microsoft account that was locked from failed logins. You could even just hammer your own account like 5-10 times.

This is why the also common "[email protected]" one worked. Citi Bank owns this domain.

This was just a failsafe that people abused.
Yes, any locked account will trigger the same thing.

Those that want to run such software under differing Linux distro's usually have no problem packaging the software to suit the distro of their choosing - Just don't expect the support of the developer.
And how exactly is this a selling point in a corporate environment? Imagine explaining this to an end-user, who probably had no input to the Linux choice decision, and probably doesn't know what the word "distro" even mean.

Do you have a motherboard capable of dual GPUs? I run Windows 11 in a kvm/qemu/libvirt VM and pass an AMD RX6800 to the VM. Really seems to get almost native performance (I can't tell the difference). My Linux side has an old Nvidia 1070. Not having to reboot to play a game is really quite nice. I've got one of those ultrawide Samsungs so I normally dedicate half the screen to the VM and the other half to Linux.
Omg, I hate you. This entire time I have been trying to get games to run in Linux and it's nothing but a hassle and never once considered a VM.. I'm such a fucking idiot.

Omg, I hate you. This entire time I have been trying to get games to run in Linux and it's nothing but a hassle and never once considered a VM.. I'm such a fucking idiot.
I highly recommend going the KVM/QEMU/libvirt route. It was relatively easy to get the GPU passthrough working. Again, I was lucky that I had a motherboard that would split the PCI lanes between the 2 connectors. I"ve also heard that ProxMox works well too.

I highly recommend going the KVM/QEMU/libvirt route. It was relatively easy to get the GPU passthrough working. Again, I was lucky that I had a motherboard that would split the PCI lanes between the 2 connectors. I"ve also heard that ProxMox works well too.
I'm trying this on a laptop with both Intel and a 4070. So I should be good to leave Linux on the Intel card and send the Nvidia one to the VM.

And how exactly is this a selling point in a corporate environment? Imagine explaining this to an end-user, who probably had no input to the Linux choice decision, and probably doesn't know what the word "distro" even mean.
If you're in a corporate environment then you have distros with support like Red Hat. As an end user, Microsoft doesn't provide support. I get more support from visiting Ubuntu's forums or even Linux Mint's compared to anything from Microsoft.
What on earth does this have to do with anything? His point about SMS sucking ass is not the fault of Apple, it's the fault of Google not being able to decide on a standard. They've had 400 different chat apps that when people get used to finally using them, they cancel the service. Case in point: https://killedbygoogle.com/
Yea but Apple didn't exactly adopt any standard but their own, and then prevented others from using it other than Apple users.
But every friend and family member I have that uses Android, we all use Telegram, Whatsapp, or any number of alternative chat apps and we all get along fine and are able to send each other high quality pics and videos without any problems.
Except for the Chinese because Apple recently removed Whatsapp from their Chinese App Store. You can do that on Android but it would only slow someone down from installing it.
But this is still going to be an issue for Android users on older devices and devices that will pretty much never get RCS.
Why not just side load it on Android?
Do you want to talk about how SMS texting as the default for Android to Android communication is the same shitty experience? Or do you realize this shuts down the entire stupid argument?
I think you're missing the point in that any features that doesn't work or as work as well on other not Apple devices is Apple's own fault. SMS sucks but is sucks more when used with Apple devices.

Proxmox does it in their paid channel, not the free one.
They paywall many of the more advanced features like that.

But if your board can’t split the lanes get an m.2 based GPU just for the OS.

Yea but Apple didn't exactly adopt any standard but their own, and then prevented others from using it other than Apple users
Apple adopted SMS as a standard as that was the only actual standard, RCS currently has more than 30 versions and one hell of a flow chart to explain which features are compatible with what versions. RCS is not a unified standard in the traditional sense and the only unified RCS Standard is the one owned and maintained by Google and Android phone manufacturers can’t even agree on supporting that one due do how Google reads every message sent over that protocol. Which they do, Google doesn’t even hide the fact their Jibe servers Man in the Middle each of them and parse them for content.
Which is why Apple is only adopting the base RCS standard, not Googles for their iOS release so chances are it will change nothing at all as Samsung and Google don’t actually support the base RCS version any more they require you to use their Jibe servers as the middle man with their proprietary plugin version that exists overtop of RCS, so 70/30 it will still fail back to SMS even with Apple supporting RCS because RCS is a trash standard that the GSMA let get fucked into oblivion.

Except for the Chinese because Apple recently removed Whatsapp from their Chinese App Store. You can do that on Android but it would only slow someone down from installing it.
Because they were ordered by the Chinese government to do so, then they blocked it on the great firewall and started killing the social credit scores of users who used VPN’s to access it. Because surprise VPN’s don’t hide shit if you know the entry and exit nodes there are algorithms for tracing and matching that traffic and it’s more than accurate enough.

And good luck with Android there, Google made a big show of their exit from China a few years back the existing Android devices sold there are rooted to high hell most at a hardware level. You sideload them and they know anyways, can’t remove it but maybe your transport pass and payment systems don’t work as long as it is installed there.

Apple adopted SMS as a standard as that was the only actual standard, RCS currently has more than 30 versions and one hell of a flow chart to explain which features are compatible with what versions. RCS is not a unified standard in the traditional sense and the only unified RCS Standard is the one owned and maintained by Google and Android phone manufacturers can’t even agree on supporting that one due do how Google reads every message sent over that protocol. Which they do, Google doesn’t even hide the fact their Jibe servers Man in the Middle each of them and parse them for content.
Which is why Apple is only adopting the base RCS standard, not Googles for their iOS release so chances are it will change nothing at all as Samsung and Google don’t actually support the base RCS version any more they require you to use their Jibe servers as the middle man with their proprietary plugin version that exists overtop of RCS, so 70/30 it will still fail back to SMS even with Apple supporting RCS because RCS is a trash standard that the GSMA let get fucked into oblivion.
Yeah. The whole situation is absolutely asinine and the only company at fault here is Google. It's not Apple's responsibility to fix this cluster that Google created. Maybe Apple adopting the base RCS standard will actually finally force one, unified standard. Time will tell.

Back