Windows 10 having lots of problems

gsilver

Gawd
I'm experiencing a lot of weirdness with my Windows 10 PC.
I was running Windows 7, where it operated fine, and after upgrading to Windows 10, I started getting issues.

What I'm seeing is that many operations are extremely slow and/or don't complete.
Example: Clicking the arrow on the task bar shows an outline of the additional processes, but doesn't ever load
In the command prompt, it takes ages for a single keypress to respond
Firefox is nigh-unusable, but Chrome is oddly OK
Gaming seems to work fine

CPU use is sitting at close to 0%
sfc /scannow showed no issues
I have disabled every user startup item to no avail
I also uninstalled a few utilities and my sound drivers (I'm using HDMI audio, anyway)
I updated the video drivers today. No change.

It seems to operate normally for a few seconds upon boot (taskbar and command prompt behave normally) and then starts acting up when *something* loads.
Some percentage of boots, the system behaves normally.

I'm guessing that there's a corrupted driver in there somewhere, but I don't know how to track it down. I tried getting into the event viewer, but that is unresponsive, so I can't get anywhere in it.
There is also some suspicion that the PSU is bad.

Any ideas on where to start?

Specs:
16gb ram
ASUS H87i Plus

Recent hardware and software changes:
Windows 10 (from Windows 7)
GTX 1070 (from GTX 970)
Corsair SF450 power supply (from a Seasonic unit)
NCase M1 (from an EVGA Hadron Air)

Last edited:
Start from disabling (that is, completely uninstalling) your antivirus, that may miraculously fix your problems. If it won't you can install it back.

Uninstalled Malwarebytes after a full scan. Nothing.
Nothing from Windows Defender, either. I turned off real time protection, at least.

You may need to do a clean install instead of an upgrade. From this line below, that is my suggestion. it sucks but upgrades are rarely straightforward.

"I'm guessing that there's a corrupted driver in there somewhere, but I don't know how to track it down. I tried getting into the event viewer, but that is unresponsive, so I can't get anywhere in it.
There is also some suspicion that the PSU is bad.
"

Last edited:
It's not uncommon to have issues with Win-7 to Win-10 upgrades.
Backup your data and do a fresh install of Win-10.

It's easy if you download the latest ISO from MS and make a bootable USB stick with Rufus.

open task manager and see whats trashing the cpu
It was sitting at close to zero. Nothing was using excess CPU.

But anyway, performing Windows 10's "reset" seems to have fixed it with just a couple of clicks. Now to get all my games installed again.

Luckily, this was just my HTPC, so nothing major was on it to begin with (and the documents/downloads folders are still intact).

I have the problem with win 10. After upgrading to Creators, my computer got locked and the previous password won't accept by the computer.

DDU the Nvidia driver and install the latest one. I had a couple of issues with Outlook 2016 and the AMD driver until I installed the latest one that supported the CU.

Edit:Oops, sorry, I did not see that you already fixed it. Good. :)

Back