Windows 10 build 14393.5 is available and it's the Anniversary Update

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245375

Well that was somewhat expected I suppose but it's out now, build 14393.5 was pushed to both Slow and Release preview rings (it was released to Fast ring earlier this week on Monday). It pretty much is the Anniversary Update from all the reports and since it's been pushed now to all the rings that means it's pretty much done - the only thing now is to see it pushed to the Production ring aka general wide release which is expected on Tuesday August 2nd.

If you really can't wait to get it, it's currently available through Release Preview and I'm sure someone will throw together an ISO here in the next 24 hours or less for a clean install.

Now let the horror stories begin. :)

There's a "14393.31" bubbling around at MS but nobody is sure if it will be "the" Anniv. build or not. Since the .5 took TWO cumulative updates after 14393.0 to get to, it's possible they could eek out one more .esd before next Tuesday.

At least this time my deployment scripts at work are 100% flawless with 14393. That November update.. oy veh what a mess.

Already using it here...pretty much the same as before! lol Big Shock! except defender has a fancy new icon lol;)

Already using it here...pretty much the same as before! lol Big Shock! except defender has a fancy new icon lol;)
The Start menu got changed around a bit. There's no more "All Apps". The ModernUI panels also got some tweaking and there's a now-not-needing-a-registry-hack dark theme. The Linux subsystem thing is there as well.

I am not expecting many big UI changes. Most the reviews said it improved upon tablet use of Windows with pens and the sorts.

Nothing that most of us will notice.

The Start menu got changed around a bit. There's no more "All Apps". The ModernUI panels also got some tweaking and there's a now-not-needing-a-registry-hack dark theme. The Linux subsystem thing is there as well.

What's the Linux subsystem part about?

Does this version support Docker? I was looking that up, and it appears the last Fast Ring build had it, but I'm waiting until it is on main release to try.

Nice. Why should I care? Can I run Linux apps inside Windows 10?

Actually yes, console apps. That's kind of the purpose. It's something that enterprise developers definitely like. We use a lot of Linux at the bank. Being able to setup development and test environment locally without need of removing or VMs definitely has it's purposes.

Actually yes, console apps. That's kind of the purpose. It's something that enterprise developers definitely like. We use a lot of Linux at the bank. Being able to setup development and test environment locally without need of removing or VMs definitely has it's purposes.
Not just console apps. It's a full Ubuntu installation (basically, it's Ubuntu Core to start). If you add the appropriate GUI libraries you can run GUI apps, too. I did this so I can run xtrkcad (my preferred model railroad tool).

Not just console apps. It's a full Ubuntu installation (basically, it's Ubuntu Core to start). If you add the appropriate GUI libraries you can run GUI apps, too. I did this so I can run xtrkcad (my preferred model railroad tool).

Technically those are console apps but they aren't officially supported. In any case very cool.

LOL first there was 14393.0 then there was a .3 then a .5 and now a .10. Oy veh it's gonna be a fun one.

It's up now.

Edit: Did the upgrade and allowed it download updates during setup. At version 14393.10

Attachments

• Win101607.PNG
    Win101607.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The 1607 just showed up for my Surface Book through regular, i.e. non-Insider Windows Update. Doing the upgrade now.

It's a native Windows implementation of the Ubuntu console. A very interesting addition. Still in beta.

Potential game-changer IMHO!
If they can blend Powershell objects' functionality with Bash scripts and regular C/C++/whatever development, this would be a very serious power-move.

Potential game-changer IMHO!
If they can blend Powershell objects' functionality with Bash scripts and regular C/C++/whatever development, this would be a very serious power-move.

Right now the two environments are isolated from each other. But I have to figure in time stuff like this will come about.

I don't use it much but steam works just fine for me on insider preview, always has.

Nothing makes me happier than to see people who were hyped for a fucking Windows update cry in misery.

I don't use it much but steam works just fine for me on insider preview, always has.

Not me. Just the opposite. Progressively worse and worse.
Currently can not view the store but can at least launch the games I have purchased. If I try to use friend chat, my machine slows to a crawl until I kill it.

wrangler - have you tried turning off direct write in steam?

Steam Settings -> Interface -> Un-check Directwrite

Got 2 of 4 PCs updated. No issues yet. Last 2 wont pick it up from WU. But I guess that's due to pressure.

Having to use a Microsoft Account to download browser extensions is moronic.
To me it's the opposite. Putting browser extensions in the Windows Store makes it so even a moron can install them.

Plus, little risk of malicious extensions, which can be a huge problem for moron users.

To me it's the opposite. Putting browser extensions in the Windows Store makes it so even a moron can install them.

Plus, little risk of malicious extensions, which can be a huge problem for moron users.

Plus they can be installed outside of the store, I've tried out some I got that way. But as you point out, the average person shouldn't be doing that unless they know what they are doing with the kind of damage an extension can cause.

I just downloaded and updated my Windows machine, overall quite impressed, a few subtle changes that make for a better user experience - Would I also be correct in saying that UAC has had a bit of a revamp also?

Would I also be correct in saying that UAC has had a bit of a revamp also?

Correct, the UI is now of the modern style, nothing major but I like it just because it's a bit more touch friendly. So I have it on my sig rig which I just took out of the Insider Build rings and Surface Book. So far so good. It is interesting to see the issues with updates. I've not had any serious updating issues on any machines even with Insider Builds for a long time now. My Surface 3 (non-Pro) didn't get the update so I'm installing it manually now.

Nothing here that's going to please the haters. Certainly the changes to Group Policies for Windows 10 didn't help there and I don't really blame people for that. But at the same time and I know people around here have their opinions and that is what it is, I really like 10 now. A lot more than when it came out last year. Still a lot I'd like to see around Start and foldering on Windows Phones, some more customization of the UI and some options to appease people concerned about privacy. But Cortana is getting slick now. Edge, a lot better, and at least an ad blocker now, we'll see how extensions come along. Stability has gotten better and it looks like battery life overall has improved. Not having any compatibility issues with apps or new games. More decent tablet apps would be VERY welcome, that's getting better but not anywhere where it needs to be.

I guess it's just starting to feel like a true desktop/tablet OS that's capable across devices and stuff like Cortana makes things a bit quicker. This OS is on the right path overall. And I get it, this like privacy concerns need to be handled better. But at this point I couldn't go back to 7 for personal use, I'd loose too much now and just like how 10 works overall. I don't think that's really as uncommon an attitude about it as some haters think. And good deal of what's going on here is being driven by Insider feedback. Not at all saying that Microsoft has addressed everything there but more than you might realize.

Back