Windowed VSYNC issue with SLI

renji1337

Limp Gawd
I'm running 2 970's overclocked with a QNIX QX2710 at 96hz and a VG248QE @ 144hz.

It seems that if I run borderless fullscreen for games and enable vsync my performance drops.

example

fullscreen vsync off = 90fps
full screen vsync on =89-90fps

borderless fullscreen vsync off = 90fps
Borderless Fullscreen vsync on = 60-75fps.

Why am I having such a performance drop? I've tried using just 1 monitor, i've tried using new drivers and everything. does vsync just cause performance loss when its borderless?

I'm almost positive that SLI only works in fullscreen (ie. not borderless-fullscreen)

I'm almost positive that SLI only works in fullscreen (ie. not borderless-fullscreen)

SLI itself works in windowed and borderless fullscreen. It's crossfire that doesn't

I get the same FPS mostly with fullscreen or borderless full or windowed, its just vsync that changes it in borderless and windowed.

If i run BF4 in windowed mode I still get 95/96% usage for example

yeah, check your gpu usage. The only exception I've found to this, is when running in surroundview. Surroundview basically runs sli at all times, no matter what. Otherwise, you have to run full screen.
*edit* Actually, my experiences may not represent everyone's. Seems like every forum has people proving that it both does and does not work, lol.

Last edited:
SLI 100% works in windowed mode. Ive used like 4 different series of nvidia gpus in SLI. it's always worked. Its crossfire that doesnt work in windowed.

SLI 100% works in windowed mode. Ive used like 4 different series of nvidia gpus in SLI. it's always worked. Its crossfire that doesnt work in windowed.

It hasn't always worked, but it has been a long time since it was implemented. I believe 2010 is when it was implemented in the drivers.

borderless windowed or windowed mode I believe causes vsync to be enabled no matter what.....least in win 8.1.... I *think*

looking at gta 5 on my surround setup in borderless at and not seeing more than 60 fps... average 80ish fullscreen.

SLi does not work with Borderless Window Mode. You might get decent FPS, but you will have constant mini-stutters and frame drops. This is the reason why I will never own a SLi setup since I need to use Borderless Window mode to force my ICC profile (CPKeeper profile actually).

SLi does not work with Borderless Window Mode. You might get decent FPS, but you will have constant mini-stutters and frame drops. This is the reason why I will never own a SLi setup since I need to use Borderless Window mode to force my ICC profile (CPKeeper profile actually).

SLI works in borderless window mode and the scaling is the exact same, there are no stutters exhistant (tested with BF4, Heaven Bench, and 3DMark)

I observed minor fluctuations that happen the same as in full screen, issues only arrise when vsync is enabled.

Also most of my games let me force the ICC profile in fullscreen anyway (CS:GO, WoW, BF4)

i do however have sli stutters in the witcher 2, but not witcher 3

Last edited:
Borderless windowed mode completely breaks SLI frame pacing. You might as well just run in single card mode if you are going to run borderless windowed because it's going to feel alot smoother without all the hitches from unpaced SLI.

Borderless windowed mode completely breaks SLI frame pacing. You might as well just run in single card mode if you are going to run borderless windowed because it's going to feel alot smoother without all the hitches from unpaced SLI.

source? I've asked around about this and asked a nvidia rep and I've been told that SLI is fine in borderless windowed mode. I feel no difference with borderless windowed vsync off, vs fullscreen vsync off.

Back