win10 home drive/folder permission issues

marvin888

Lurker
My setup:
Server - Windows 10 Home (always updated) C drive(SSD), N drive (created by stablebit drivepool, shared over network) B drive (500GB separate drive for temp files), virtual clone drive to mount ISOs, handbrake, plex. Sharing a printer. Mainly access through TeamViewer.
Users - Admin (admin rights) always logged in, "Me" (admin rights) "wife" (user rights)

My computer - Windows 10 Home. access to N drive Users - "Me" (admin rights, name and password are the same for all computer logins)

Wife's computer - Windows 10 Home. access to N drive Users - "Me" (admin rights, name and password are the same for all computer logins), "wife" (user rights)

Originally I upgraded all computers from win7 to get them registered, then did a fresh install (format, install from USB). Setup all accounts with microsoft login accounts on all computers. Server computer was having issues with shutdowns hanging, restarts not logging in completely, have to cold boot (but I don't restart that often so fixing it was low priority) couple months ago, I lost the ability to write to the N drive, even locally with my login (at the time I didn't have an "admin" account, my account had admin privileges using microsoft login accounts.) I couldn't change permissions or anything.

With the previous problems I was having with my server I decided to start over. I wiped the c drive and reinstalled win10 home, created a new N drive and copied all the data over. I also converted all the user accounts to local account on all computers and created admin account on server. Everything was going fine shutdown startup issues were gone. about two weeks ago I started having write permission issues again. Tried taking ownership didn't work (Administrators (SERVER\Administrators) is the owner). I was able to edit the group permissions(click deny, then allow, then apply and that worked.

I have been converting DVDs with handbrake for PLEX on the server computer and everything was going great until yesterday. had three movies queued and all three completed in less than a minute. nothing changed from yesterday last update on 3/23 was Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140741). Checking handbrake logs and found it had a permission error "ERROR: avio_open2 failed, errno -13". I was able to create a folder and delete it in the same destination folder on the N drive all done remoted in on admin account. Edit permission didn't fix it. installed an old HHD and made a B drive (not shared) and handbrake was able to create files to that.

Well today handbrake just gave me the same error for the B drive. admin account can write to it though.

Issues right now:
N drive - when I try to change permissions on security tab" An error occurred while applying security information to: N:\System Volume Information Failed to enumerate objects in the container. access denied"
Handbrake loses the ability to write to disks even on the Admin profile.

N drive - when I try to change permissions on security tab" An error occurred while applying security information to: N:\System Volume Information Failed to enumerate objects in the container. access denied"

This part is not unusual. SYSTEM is the owner of that folder, iirc, and only SYSTEM or other built-in system type accounts have access to that folder.

Back