Win10 forced update

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
Both my sons and my gaming boxes got a forced Win10 update last week. I'm running Win10 pro and he's running Win10 home. The update porked our Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titaniums so that the microphone devices became 'undetected'.

Driver reinstall etc. tricks didn't help. Had to roll back the build to a previous release to fix it on both computers.

So finally the forced updates bit me too it seems. At least MS left a very easy way to roll the update back.

I was laughing quietly when Win10 update chose to force a reboot in the middle of my Steam updating. How nice it must be to use Windows for something more critical than gaming. Not!

You probably just needed to look into the windows settings themselves a bit more, my old Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 runs just fine with Win10 Insider Build 14361.

The new Redstone related things seems to have even pushed the transfer rates up a bit in some areas.

You can also adjust when your computer will update these days, among other things.

You probably just needed to look into the windows settings themselves a bit more, my old Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 runs just fine with Win10 Insider Build 14361.

The new Redstone related things seems to have even pushed the transfer rates up a bit in some areas.

You can also adjust when your computer will update these days, among other things.
Actually no. The sound card did not function properly after the update it was not a matter of settings. Also my son complained that his games were crashing (he had the new build a day longer than me). The update popped up and I chose '4 hours later' and it forced a reboot at the original scheduled time regardless of that. I have already the updates set to 'delayed' profile.

Not that it matters, we use windows only for games.

Creative drivers are a mixed bag, especially for their older products.

Sorry you are a victim of Microsoft but you should have installed GWX Control panel or that other tool from Steve Gibson and you would have avoided all of this.

Sorry you are a victim of Microsoft but you should have installed GWX Control panel or that other tool from Steve Gibson and you would have avoided all of this.

There is no "should have" - people shouldn't have to rely on a third party hack just to avoid Microsoft's trojanware. This shit is indefensible.

Last edited:
The amusing thing here is the fact that my Creative X-Fi works just fine out of the box on my Linux PC, the installation of third party drivers just isn't necessary....

Haven't had windows restart on me without my consent in ~5 years.

Windows 7 by default is actually pretty bad for that too. When I originally switched to it a few years back I had the default settings for updates and every freaking morning I'd come back to a PC that has been rebooted. Thankfully you can easily change that. When I heard about them pushing telemetry, and the whole win10 practically being forced down, I just disabled the updates completely. There are ways to prevent that stuff but it was just a quick thing to do at the time, eventually I'll look deeper into it. I only use that machine for gaming. Linux is my daily use OS.

How nice it must be to use Windows for something more critical than gaming. Not!
I live in the Central African bush. We pay for slow satellite internet (per MB d/l). Just ONE of our computers has secretly d/l'ed 6GB for Windows 10. We track & coordinate anti-poaching rangers in the field with these PC's + GPS. F* You Microsoft! • /r/technology

"If a forced upgrade happened and crashed our PCs while in the middle of coordinating rangers under fire from armed militarized poachers, blood could literally be on Microsoft's hands," said one member of the team.

"I just came here recently to act as their pilot but have IT skills as well. The guy who set these PCs up didn't know how to prevent it, or set a metered connection. I am completely livid."

That seems kind of critical and/or expensive.

There is no "should have" - people shouldn't have to rely on a third party hack just to avoid Microsoft's trojanware. This shit is indefensible.

I'm not defending it, just saying how it can be avoided.

The upgrade is a mess. It'll work but it's converting drivers which isn't ideal. Here's my recommendation:

Either activate the system then revert back to windows 7 (there should be an option for that there). Which will give you the ability to come back in the future. OR back everything up and do a fresh install then reinstall the drivers. This is ideal and how I did my install of windows 10 and it's been running perfectly. Prior it was horrible as just an upgrade.

It wasn't forced installed. user error...

Warning: Windows 10 May Auto-Install On Your PC
Oh so now you know better than me what happened on my computer? I 100% certainly clicked the '4 hours later' option only to see the computer reboot a few seconds later. And note this thread is not about Win10 auto-installing but a forced Win10 build upgrade inside a ready installed Win10.

I am running a free Win10 pro gained from being in the insider program so the computer has run Win10 from day 1. This is the first forced update since the release preview.

Oh so now you know better than me what happened on my computer? I 100% certainly clicked the '4 hours later' option only to see the computer reboot a few seconds later. And note this thread is not about Win10 auto-installing but a forced Win10 build upgrade inside a ready installed Win10.

I am running a free Win10 pro gained from being in the insider program so the computer has run Win10 from day 1. This is the first forced update since the release preview.
not me :) read that thread :) :) there are a bunch of MS shills that insist it is all user error

The upgrade is a mess. It'll work but it's converting drivers which isn't ideal. Here's my recommendation:

Either activate the system then revert back to windows 7 (there should be an option for that there). Which will give you the ability to come back in the future. OR back everything up and do a fresh install then reinstall the drivers. This is ideal and how I did my install of windows 10 and it's been running perfectly. Prior it was horrible as just an upgrade.

That's the other issue with this thing, upgrading in place is NEVER a good idea, the fact that this thing is doing it by design means there will be a lot of computers out there that are upgraded and have all sorts of junk from the previous OS left over and who knows how many other gremlins that will start to cause issues. The way that would have been logical to do this free upgrade is to simply have a notification with a way to download an ISO, and to get your "system administrator" to do the install for you. This means people arn't just clicking a button that completely changes their computer, they require action of someone who is semi tech savvy who can properly backup all their stuff and/or tell them that no, it's not a good idea to upgrade because everything is working fine. But of course MS wanted to artificially boost the install count so they can call the new OS a success.

Windows 10 Pro kicked me from a game yesterday to update. It did the same to me today. No warning or anything. Sadly it seems like there is no way to disable updates, even on Win 10 Pro. I only learned there were updates in each instance after turning off my PSU because the updater completely locked my system up. Kicks me from my games, takes me to a black screen, and just seems to sit there for minutes. Upon powering the PSU on and restarting I am greeted with updates which auto install. I can't imagine if I was doing something more important. I'm pissed to say the least. I suppose if you want to do serious work on a computer you have to look at either Windows 7, one of Apples offerings or try Linux. And I guess they want to force people off the PC and go to the Playstation for gaming.

Wow that's ridiculous. MS is completely out of their minds. They forget that people actually *USE* their computers. Well they probably don't care, that's why. I'm sure they know they are pissing off lot of people, but 99% of people are going to use it anyway.

Windows 10 Pro kicked me from a game yesterday to update. It did the same to me today. No warning or anything. Sadly it seems like there is no way to disable updates, even on Win 10 Pro. I only learned there were updates in each instance after turning off my PSU because the updater completely locked my system up. Kicks me from my games, takes me to a black screen, and just seems to sit there for minutes. Upon powering the PSU on and restarting I am greeted with updates which auto install. I can't imagine if I was doing something more important. I'm pissed to say the least. I suppose if you want to do serious work on a computer you have to look at either Windows 7, one of Apples offerings or try Linux. And I guess they want to force people off the PC and go to the Playstation for gaming.

The shills will say this is all your fault somehow. Just watch.

I'm not going to say its your fault, but every day I check for updates now to avoid this shit.

Should I have to do that? No. But, this is where we're at.

I'm not going to say its your fault, but every day I check for updates now to avoid this shit.

Should I have to do that? No. But, this is where we're at.

Well I boot my windows only once a week if even that. I was actually surprised I wasn't getting updates more frequently. I checked the settings and I had it set to 'delayed updates' but it seems that if you stretch it far enough, it will do it by force.

Luckily enough I was able to roll back after the fact and it hasn't re-rolled the update so far.

If you have Pro version of Win7 or 8 you can use gpedit to block Win10 from installing and even being offered in WU. Oh, right, we aren't supposed to touch settings in gpedit because we are noobs, at least according to some self proclaimed experts around here. Microsoft knows best!

I might fire up my Windows 10 machine today for a bit of BF4 relaxation time, I haven't fired it up in months, I'm gonna get kicked from a game for an update for sure...

If you have Pro version of Win7 or 8 you can use gpedit to block Win10 from installing and even being offered in WU. Oh, right, we aren't supposed to touch settings in gpedit because we are noobs, at least according to some self proclaimed experts around here. Microsoft knows best!
I have Win10 pro, the update was a Win10 build update, not an OS to OS update.

Back