Win 8.1 screen lock doubles wall wattage!

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
My PC when idle uses about 90-100 watts, but when after pressing Win+L to lock the screen with the default no-animation locker, the wall wattage jumps up over 200 watts! Is there any work around?

edit: okay, it spools my Titan X up to max clocks for some reason.

Yes the work around is to shut down your computer when you're not using it. I find it somewhat funny though that you worry about electricity use after buying a Titan X.

Yes the work around is to shut down your computer when you're not using it. I find it somewhat funny though that you worry about electricity use after buying a Titan X.

Because I only game occasionally, but the computer is idle a lot. I don't like spinning down (temp cycling) the hdd.

Because I only game occasionally, but the computer is idle a lot. I don't like spinning down (temp cycling) the hdd.

So you have disabled the hdd spindown from power settings and then, again, worry about electricity use? Or were you not aware that the hdd is spinning down automatically regardless of your booting on default settings?

If HDD scares you, get an SSD instead.

So you have disabled the hdd spindown from power settings and then, again, worry about electricity use? Or were you not aware that the hdd is spinning down automatically regardless of your booting on default settings?

If HDD scares you, get an SSD instead.

(Dude, stop changing the the topic. I have SDD + HDD.)

The problem is that the GPU spins up an extra ~120 watts when the screen is locked. It's not the electricity bill. It heats up my upstairs room too much. 90-100 watts goes unnoticed. 220 watts heats it up. No A/C at this Bay Area location. I don't remember Win7 having this issue.

Please stop confrontationally trolling unless something useful to add.

Back