Win 7 Family Pack coming back- limited time

upgrade only? If it was the full version yeah, but I got the student upgrade for $30. but good deal for non students if it happens

How do these upgrades work? I get that you can't install win 7 fresh with them, but if you have a non-upgrade windows 7 disc, can you use that to install it, then use the key from the win 7 upgrade to activate it?

How do these upgrades work? I get that you can't install win 7 fresh with them, but if you have a non-upgrade windows 7 disc, can you use that to install it, then use the key from the win 7 upgrade to activate it?

Win 7 Upgrades *can* be installed on empty hard drives as a full version, "millions" of guides on the net...

Where will these be for sale when this does happen?
gonna see if I can work out a deal with my brother to snag this I only need 1 copy and he could use the other 2.

use microsoft usb installer app
search the flash drive for ei.cfg
delete it
install

(or create a new bootable disc with the file removed, but who installs from cds anymore?)

Is the student deal still going on? Or would microcenter be my best bet? Second computer needs a OS.

i picked up the family pack when it first came out and it lets me install like it was full version.

Isn't technet a "rental" ? If you dont' keep renewing you have to uninstall?

Isn't technet > $150?

Isn't technet > $150?
You are issued retail keys through Technet. They are valid and do not expire when your membership runs out. At that point, however, you will not have the ability to download software.

Renewal for Technet standard is $150. New subscriptions are $250, but you if you hunt around you can find deals. Here's one for $168, just for example. That particular one doesn't ship for a few weeks, but you get the idea.

You are issued retail keys through Technet. They are valid and do not expire when your membership runs out. At that point, however, you will not have the ability to download software.

Renewal for Technet standard is $150. New subscriptions are $250, but you if you hunt around you can find deals. Here's one for $168, just for example. That particular one doesn't ship for a few weeks, but you get the idea.

Hm, I had technet (or maybe msdn...was $250'ish a year) a while back and when I quit I was sent a letter that I had to uninstall all software. Is this no longer the case?

Hm, I had technet (or maybe msdn...was $250'ish a year) a while back and when I quit I was sent a letter that I had to uninstall all software. Is this no longer the case?
I can't speak to that directly because I haven't let my Technet subscription expire. I do know that Technet and MSDN subscriptions have some significant differences. The price you paid suggests Technet.

From everything I've read, and there are numerous posts here on this topic, the keys issued are retail keys and function as such, regardless of whether you have an active subscription or expired subscription.(I'm pretty sure MS would rather you not use the keys once your sub ends) Still, as has been reported many times by others, even with an expired sub you can still log in and retrieve your keys, and they work the same as before. You can not claim new keys at that point and can no longer download software.

Last edited:
What version were you expecting? Pro is aimed at business customers who have deeper pockets. Ultimate is aimed at suckers willing to pay anything.

Home Premium? I'm a bit reluctant there.

Home Premium isnt missing much compared to Pro/Ultimate.....basically no bitlock encryption, no xp virtual machine, and no massive language packs(that just wont get out of the damed windows update list)

great deal, might end up picking it up..

I replaced Vista Ultimate with Windows 7 Home Premium and never missed a beat. $150 for a 3 machine license is a really good deal, beaten only by the student discounts. I'm picking one up to give out as Xmas presents to family members. :cool:

Isn't technet > $150?

Yes. Also, you are required to use them for evaluation purposes for software development/network buildout only I believe, not home or business use.

Yes. Also, you are required to use them for evaluation purposes for software development/network buildout only I believe, not home or business use.

You are partially correct. No, they aren't a rental so you can still use the copies you have after your subscription runs out. But they are only for evaluation purposes and not for production/private use.

Still, as has been reported many times by others, even with an expired sub you can still log in and retrieve your keys, and they work the same as before.

The keys still work but you CAN'T log back in and get the keys you already retrieved once your account expires. All of the keys are unavailable after your account expires at least for mine they are.

Sure, they still work, but it's not a legitimate usage for them and violates the EULA. So for those of us who need actual, real licenses, this deal is smoking.

thanks for the news. i wonder if this is retail ONLY or did those upgrade paks sell via online?

I will be in for 1 when this goes.. Especially if its full & not a upgrade.

Although if it is an Upgrade I can probably just install from the 48 version disk I snagged & then just change the key in windows. (I just had to do the same thing when I reinstalled the student version the other day since I didn't save the iso & you cant download it any more from digital river)

Why must we have 10 self-declared Ethics policemen whenever Technet is mentioned?

The keys still work but you CAN'T log back in and get the keys you already retrieved once your account expires. All of the keys are unavailable after your account expires at least for mine they are.

This is incorrect. You just have to look a bit harder. if you go to my account it say expired blahdy blahdy, below that there is the downloads/keys link. Click that, then up top you will see a thing that says my keys. All of the keys that you redeemed are listed there.

The three packs are nice I have a couple but never use them since I bought a mak pack.

Because it is a valid complaint that using technet for home usage just to have windows licenses is invalid.

Thanks, mom.

On a side note:
A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply (e.g.: "Why me?")

Back