Will you jump on 40xx Super Video cards or would you rather wait for 50xx series to come out?

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
We've all heard the rumors - a 4080 Super, 4070 Ti Super, and 4070 Super versions are slated to come out in 2024. They will include slightly buffed CUDA core counts but more importantly increased VRAM, reportedly 20GB on the 4080 Super and 16GB on the 4070 Super variants.

This is a much needed upgrade for 4k and up resolutions as games are devouring more and more video memory than ever.

So what would you do if you had money saved, JUMP on one of the Super variants coming out soon or WAIT for the 5 series which will probably be faster but also very HARD to buy on launch?

I held off on the launch cards because of how... uninspiring they are from both a value and VRAM standpoint. I'll keep an open mind and give Nvidia the chance to win me over on the refresh.

I'm not expecting the 4080 refresh to be 20 GB, however. (Based on the most recent rumors I've personally seen.)

Lot like always will be about price and if there some info when the 5070 type launch for those not in the xx80-xx90 class market.

Both 4070 could be interesting
The 4070TI super, could be an interesting one, how close to the 4080 can it get with some overclocking and what price
A 4070 super overclocked could be almost a stock 4070TI sane bus-ram, core count not that far, one big dif is the 65 watt cut. A well priced 4070Ti would be a really nice option.

I feel it depend on what AMD next launch push them too, that one could be great, imagine a 7900xt at $500, could push the 4070 super at that price.

Already own a 4080 it's a 5XXX for me the thing is though I'm going to wait for a card with a lower TDP.
If the 5XXX series are too power hungry I don't want them. What they need to offer is marginal gains 20-30 FPS at 1440P why still being relavant
nobody needs melted power connectors. Or my system shutting down which hasn't happened since I uninstall MSI Center and Razer Synapse.

Yeah I am going to wait until 50 series. My 4080 is plenty for me with my 48in C2. I don't need anything at the moment. But I will def buy a 5090 this time around.

On a 3080 now and I'll wait for 50xx.

Gaming at 4k@120 (LG CX) so I do want as much gpu🐎 as possible. This time I won't wait forever on a cheap xx90, that won't happen 🙄

Probably pick up a super. I have been toying with a new build since I don't have a current PC to game on. Not sure I want to wait for the 50 series though I probably won't go above the 4070 line.

I'm going 4070ti Super or possibly 4080 Super depending on price and benchmarks. I'm currently on a 3070FE and quite happy at 1440p but would like to possibly break into 4k gaming at some point next year. If I'm not happy with what I see I'll wait for 5 series.

I need the VRAM so i'll likely bite if they're even a modest performance upgrade from my 3080 12GB but happen to offer 18 or 24GB VRAM.
Otherwise I'm holding out for the 5000 series. For me the driving point of the upgrade isn't for gaming (Though that will be nice), it's AI LLMs.

Serious question - Is there any point on grabbing anything higher than a 4070 Super if I have no plans to go above 1080p/144hz in the near future? The 6600XT is doing fine but chugs with some games even at a mix of medium/high settings.

That's if I even find time to game, but that's another story.

Serious question - Is there any point on grabbing anything higher than a 4070 Super if I have no plans to go above 1080p/144hz in the near future? The 6600XT is doing fine but chugs with some games even at a mix of medium/high settings.

That's if I even find time to game, but that's another story.
I wouldn't think so. I'd expect the 4070 SUPER to perform near a normal 4070 Ti, which is plenty for 1920x1080 at 144 Hz even with ray tracing in most games.

Reactions: mda
like this

Depends, no gpu is strong enough to play alan wake 2 or cyberpunk path traced at 1080p or any of the released as of now Unreal 5 engine game at those frame rate.

path tracing and Unreal removed completely the notion of not having any point for an upcoming 5090 even at 1080p for people that like to run games at 144fps:

min-fps-1920-1080.png
min-fps-1920-1080.png
min-fps-rt-1920-1080.png
min-fps-pt-1920-1080.png
min-fps-1920-1080.png

if it stays like that, yes a 7900xtx-4080-4090 could deliver more frame at ultra setting on a 144hz-1080p monitor in more and more games as they come out and could have a point ?

Is that the type of game you play, do you mind turning DLSS on, do you mind not having all the setting on, do you mind not locking 144 fps (or running game at 60fps), etc... are those worth the price difference to you, etc... not something one can judge for you.

Will a 4070 super card be able to play well enough at 1080p all the games if you do not want the latest pathtracing-ai running modulle and so on at least until the Play station 6 exclusive game generation around 2028-2029, could be the case, but that speculative.

Often, game mid-high setting are excellent, game or tools a la geforce experience pick nice running one and FSR/dlss now will always be available for the type of game that reaching 120fps at 1080p would be an issue for a 4070 super and those are getting better and better.

Last edited:
Coming from a GTX1070 and just got in a new CPU/MB/RAM (AMD 7800x3D, Taichi Lite, 32GB DDR5 CAS30), I'm going to grab a 4070 Super if it hits at <$600. I game at 1440p and really need a good upgrade that'll last me a few years. But, purchase time is around March/April so what's best at that $600 price point will be it. Not going to wait past that time (unless there's a super secret launch of something, which isn't happening). Need the extra VRAM for MSFS2020 (and upcoming MSFS2024), so the standard non supers won't cut it, and $600 is about my budget for the card. I could forego the watercooling setup and go better, but I'm wanting to have fun with the cooling this time and make it look rad. :)

OK so Nvidia has officially confirmed the RTX 40xx Super Series.

Of high interest is the memory specifications for these new cards:

"The products in question are the GeForce RTX 4080 Super 16 GB, GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super 16 GB, GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12 GB, and GeForce RTX 3050 6 GB."

Article: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...nfirmed-by-listings-to-regulatory-authorities

The upscaled 4070 Ti Super pretty much obsoletes the 4080 imo. It will have 16GB of ram and be nearly as fast for a more reasonable pricetag that is at least $300 less.

The 4070 Super might attract some buyers at the $599 pricepoint. Unfortunately it doesn't increase it's video memory of 12GB so that stays the same as the regulare 4070.

Last edited:
I might get a 4080. My 4070Ti was dirt cheap when I bought it, but a little more hp for 4K would do me well.

The buy it now prices on ebay are way more than what I paid for mine during a big Amazon sale last summer.

OK so Nvidia has officially confirmed the RTX 40xx Super Series.

Of high interest is the memory specifications for these new cards:

"The products in question are the GeForce RTX 4080 Super 16 GB, GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super 16 GB, GeForce RTX 4070 Super 12 GB, and GeForce RTX 3050 6 GB."

Article: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...nfirmed-by-listings-to-regulatory-authorities

The upscaled 4070 Ti Super pretty much obsoletes the 4080 imo. It will have 16GB of ram and be nearly as fast for a more reasonable pricetag that is at least $300 less.

The 4070 Super might attract some buyers at the $599 pricepoint. Unfortunately it doesn't increase it's video memory of 12GB so that stays the same as the regulare 4070.
Do you guys think that Nvidia gimped the cards again? There was talk previously - of the 4080 Super getting more vram - but, instead, it's just clocked higher? Not much of an improvement - and now the overpriced 4080 - will be even more overpriced in the Super form.
The 4070 Ti getting 16gb is good but dunno if it could have had more - AMD has 16gb or more on most of their upper tier cards. I think the only gpu I'd consider out of this bunch is the 4070 Ti - if I found a used 4080 for a decent price, I'd consider that - but, I think most of these releases will be at high prices - I don't see a flood of 4080s coming onto the used market for any reason or these cards being priced competitively. Nvidia said they want to 'get rid of the 7900 XT permanently' so the only way that 7900 xt gpus would suddenly be in stock not being sold is if the 4070 Super and 4070 Ti Super were priced competitively and that's not what Nvidia does.

Do you guys think that Nvidia gimped the cards again? There was talk previously - of the 4080 Super getting more vram - but, instead, it's just clocked higher? Not much of an improvement - and now the overpriced 4080 - will be even more overpriced in the Super form.
The 4070 Ti getting 16gb is good but dunno if it could have had more - AMD has 16gb or more on most of their upper tier cards. I think the only gpu I'd consider out of this bunch is the 4070 Ti - if I found a used 4080 for a decent price, I'd consider that - but, I think most of these releases will be at high prices - I don't see a flood of 4080s coming onto the used market for any reason or these cards being priced competitively. Nvidia said they want to 'get rid of the 7900 XT permanently' so the only way that 7900 xt gpus would suddenly be in stock not being sold is if the 4070 Super and 4070 Ti Super were priced competitively and that's not what Nvidia does.

They're not going to give them more VRAM because they want creators to pay up for the 4090. I'm not convinced they care what gamers think about it because gamers are buying their VRAM-gimped cards anyway and doing their marketing team's job for them by justifying it for them on the internet (12GB VRAM is totally fine because reasons, 1440p or whatever). AMD is including way more VRAM because they need to incentivize you to buy their cards, which most gamers are not buying because they had driver issues on their ATI Rage 128 Pro, so Nvidia gets away with it while gamers complain about a lack of competition, and is able to dictate the price as a result. That's basically this market in a nutshell.

The 4070Ti NEVER should have had 12GB VRAM to begin with. For gaming, I'd argue that 16GB is generally sufficient for current needs, even at 4K, so I wouldn't consider the 4080 Super "gimped" as far as gaming's concerned, but their competitor is objectively offering more in that category.

Any linkage on the 7900 XT comment, by chance? I hadn't seen that, but that's interesting.

I feel like Super cards are the worst cards to buy. 6 months later you will have 50 series. Nvidia always does this lol. if anything hopefully consumers can get bit cheaper regular 40 series and hold on to that for a while.

Last edited:
nV be like keep bitching and we'll charge you more. LOL they do not give af. Stick it up your yammer nV! Stick it right up your yammer!

I feel like Super cards are the worst cards to buy. 6 months later you will have 50 series. Nvidia always does this lol. if anything hopefully consumers can get bit cheaper regular 40 series and hold on to that for a while.

Who says we're going to have 50 series after 6 months?

This. Riding the Ada Lovelace shitshow out. Hopefully Blackwood pricing will be more in line with Ampere's.
I'll go in if 5080 is $699 as with 3080 but that's a long long shot. Maybe $799 to $899 if one include the past two years of high inflation.

Oh wait maybe the 5080 card will also be gimped with 128-bit memory bus and PCIE5.0 x 4, lol.

Who says we're going to have 50 series after 6 months?

I mean history is there. Supers are bad buy given where they are in refresh cycle. Not really good upgrade wise. Nvidia is already rumored to have blackwell ready for later this year, ready to go just based on what the demand is and competition is. But they seem to be gearing towards releasing it regardless it seems.

I mean history is there. Supers are bad buy given where they are in refresh cycle. Not really good upgrade wise. Nvidia is already rumored to have blackwell ready for later this year, ready to go just based on what the demand is and competition is. But they seem to be gearing towards releasing it regardless it seems.

Oh I absolutely agree that buying a Super card is a bad idea. I'm just not sure of the 50 series actually coming out this year, I'm expecting a CES 2025 reveal instead. But hey if I'm wrong that'd be cool too.

RTX-5xxx series launching this Fall, why buy the soon to be outdated 4090 now? The 5090 is rumored to be 200% faster, seriously.

Got a 1080 that is rather long in the tooth, I built my PC August of 2016.

Playing relatively newer games is quite painful for me. But waited this long already, so 5xxx it'll be.

I need a card now so I'll either pick up a 4080 super or a way overpriced 4090

Oh I absolutely agree that buying a Super card is a bad idea. I'm just not sure of the 50 series actually coming out this year, I'm expecting a CES 2025 reveal instead. But hey if I'm wrong that'd be cool too.

So then what do you tell someone building a new PC right now and not just upgrading?

Don't forget not everyone is upgrading. I know I am not. I have parts on the way except for GPU and monitor. Plan is to build and see what is announced before pulling the trigger on the GPU and monitor. I will definitely buy something and more than likely Nvidia just to play with some stuff like Stable Diffusion. Card decision is still up in the air though. I will need something for sure for this year though.

Some rumors point to the 5090 being ready for Dec 2024, but it will only release if there is pressure from AMD. I am not expecting them til 2025.

Reactions: pavel
like this
So then what do you tell someone building a new PC right now and not just upgrading?

Don't forget not everyone is upgrading. I know I am not. I have parts on the way except for GPU and monitor. Plan is to build and see what is announced before pulling the trigger on the GPU and monitor. I will definitely buy something and more than likely Nvidia just to play with some stuff like Stable Diffusion. Card decision is still up in the air though. I will need something for sure for this year though.

Some rumors point to the 5090 being ready for Dec 2024, but it will only release if there is pressure from AMD. I am not expecting them til 2025.

It depends. If you want flagship performance then you already went the last 14 months without a 4090 already so you might as well either:

a) re-use your GPU in your new system until the 5090 comes out, or
b) buy a cheap used gpu until the 5090 comes out then re-sell the used gpu to get some costs back

If you don't care for flagship performance then I would imagine you would be able to pick up a Non-Super card at a discounted price as the Super lineup should slot in at the current price points no? So 4070 for $500, 4070 Ti for $700, 4080 for $1000 maybe?

It depends. If you want flagship performance then you already went the last 14 months without a 4090 already so you might as well either:

a) re-use your GPU in your new system until the 5090 comes out, or
b) buy a cheap used gpu until the 5090 comes out then re-sell the used gpu to get some costs back

If you don't care for flagship performance then I would imagine you would be able to pick up a Non-Super card at a discounted price as the Super lineup should slot in at the current price points no? So 4070 for $500, 4070 Ti for $700, 4080 for $1000 maybe?

See for me A. isn't an option which was why I mentioned someone building new. My current PC is a i7-4770k using a Nvidia GT 610 since I had one randomly in a box just so I could dual monitor. It originally had a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 I bought in 2013 at the time of build and it died during the GPU shortages. I took a long break from gaming hence the old PC, but the 4770k and 7970 on a BenQ XL2420TE 144hz could still run most things decently at 1080p until the last few years before it died. I think the last thing I put any serious time into was The Division 2 when it went on sale for super cheap. I have more free time than I did and 3 years of Xbox Gamepass Ultimate so the itch finally caught up to me.

Yeah I don't care about flagship at least right now, but who knows once I get back into it. I think my plan will end up being something in the 4070 lineup unless I push myself up to the 4080. Card is also going to dictate monitor more than likely since I am waiting to see what early reviews of the supers show and what if any price drops on GPUs we see.

See for me A. isn't an option which was why I mentioned someone building new. My current PC is a i7-4770k using a Nvidia GT 610 since I had one randomly in a box just so I could dual monitor. It originally had a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 I bought in 2013 at the time of build and it died during the GPU shortages. I took a long break from gaming hence the old PC, but the 4770k and 7970 on a BenQ XL2420TE 144hz could still run most things decently at 1080p until the last few years before it died. I think the last thing I put any serious time into was The Division 2 when it went on sale for super cheap. I have more free time than I did and 3 years of Xbox Gamepass Ultimate so the itch finally caught up to me.

Yeah I don't care about flagship at least right now, but who knows once I get back into it. I think my plan will end up being something in the 4070 lineup unless I push myself up to the 4080. Card is also going to dictate monitor more than likely since I am waiting to see what early reviews of the supers show and what if any price drops on GPUs we see.

I actually don't think the Non-Super cards are bad products at all, they just had some bad pricing and Super refreshes usually don't add a whole lot of extra performance so paying the same original bad price for something like a 5% performance improvement just doesn't seem like the best idea IMO. For a new build I would just look to getting a discounted Non-Super instead but that's just my 2 cents.

Back