Will the 7900 be readily available and reasonably priced?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
After the 512 GTX fiasco, I'm just wondering what the word on the street is concerning 7900 availability and pricing.

ATI just did a great launch of the X1900, good availability and no price gouging, so I'm hoping that nVidia won't embarass themselves!

AFAIK the 512 shortage wasn't nVidia's fault, at least not directly. IIRC it was the RAM supplier that screwed up. The 512 was, if you recall, a hard launch and product was available...for about a week and a half. Then the stocks were depleted since the manufacturing couldn't keep up. Then old man Adam Smith pushed the prices up to equilibrium.

NVidia should have learned from its mistakes and fixed what went wrong with the 512. The 7900 should hard launch, if not, then screw them.

Fool me once...

Samsung has claimed that they did not have a shortage in 1.1ns DDR3 chips. It is possible IMO that nV had more of this RAM, but chose to stockpile it for the 7900.

Either way, All first production X1900XT/XTX boards are using 1.1ns Samsung, so the probability is that nV will hardlaunch. As for prices thats anyone's guess at this time. Expect $550-650 for this top end product.

I'm okay with $650 a card I guess, but not another $750+ deal like with the 512 GTX.

STR said:
The 7900 should hard launch, if not, then screw them.

Fool me once...

Come on now, the hard launch standard was set by nVidia with the 7800 launches. They also publicly stated the GTX 512 would be a limited edition launch in short supply. Can't be too surprised when they told us it would be that way.

I'm sure that ideally the 7900s would be available at launch and they'd be reasonably priced to boot, however one can only speculate at this point.

They also publicly stated the GTX 512 would be a limited edition launch in short supply.

Didn't they say that AFTER everyone started complaining about shortages?

FaRKle0079 said:
Didn't they say that AFTER everyone started complaining about shortages?

I could have sworn I read that before it launched. :confused:

All signs point to maybe.

I wonder what game they will bundle next? FEAR?

Back