will sysprep work for me?

alex paik

Limp Gawd
so i have a CRAPPY soyo motherboard and im swapping it out for an asus p4p800se motherboard today but i wanted to make sure that sysprep will work for my swap.. only swapping the motherboard..

anyone?

I'd wait for Pheonix or djnes to reply....but....in my experience everytime ive swapped out a mb unless its exactly the same its safest to backup any data thats crucial and start with a clean install.

-dx2

my gigabyte to gigabyte sysprep didn't work. Think its just chance.

by the way, I think sysprep clears your desktop and your documents. make sure you move anything from there you wanna keep.

There are no guarantee's that it'll work and yes it does clear the desktop.. That's the idea of the program its meant to clean out everything that a system builder might have used to prepare the system prior to shipping. Which board are you moving from?

well, that didnt work.. i got too anxious and went ahead and finished it.. i ended up backing up all (at least i thought) of my stuff and rebooted.. of course i missed a few things i could have backed up.. but thanks anyway..

Assuming all the other hardware is the same, I would say it should work. The comments are it clearing the desktop are true as well. I recently had a problem where I created a sysprepped ghost image on a machine with an SATA HDD, and tried to bring the image down to a machine with a PATA HDD, and it wouldn't boot. Since you're just running it to swap a motherboard, where no change in computer is occuring, you should be fine.

Back