will my ti4200 overheat w/o a fan?

tr3

Limp Gawd
I bought the albatron ti-4200p (128mb) card a little over a year ago. Now the fan on it is loud as hell. I was wondering if the chip would overheat if i unplugged the fan and just used it as a heatsink.

If not, anyone know a cheap HSF for the video card?

TIA
-tr3

It WILL overheat with no fan, thats a given but what you could do is either get an iceberg 4 or if you want it completly silent then get a BIG heatshink (something around the size of an Athlon stock cooler) and use that;)

You better measure the mounting pin spread before buying. The Iceberq 4 has a 55mm spread. The Iceberq 4 Pro is 80mm. DONT GO BY THE LISTED COMPATIBLE VIDEO CARDS.;)

my brother said something about staying away from sleeve bearings cause they burn out faster than ball bearing. That thermaltake one says its 1 ball bearing, 1 sleeve...

I had an an Asus Geforce4 Ti 4200 with an Nvidia reference designed fan, (you know the piece of shit green thing?) the fan died on it and it ran that way for at least a week without a hickup.

You could fry an egg on it, but I'm sure it wouldn't of lasted much longer. Definately get a decent HSF for that card.

PS. I replaced the HSF on the 4200 the second I discovered it and it still works like a charm even after its ordeal, tough chip.

the thermaltake is a very whiny fan, as well.
If you take off that plastic piece on top (with the thermaltake logo) you can hardly hear it with the case side on, i guess that plastic piece restricts air enough where it makes a differnece

zalman could work, another thing i suggest (forgot to earlier) is to unscrew the heatsink/fan (fan, if it's easily accessible) and then take off the sticker on the back, carefully pry off the plastic split washer (keep it, dont let it fly off into your eye or something, it's important), lube up the shaft (sounds dirty) WD-40 probably isn't the ideal lube, but i've used it before, and it gives me satisfactory results... i bet vaseline would work well, but i can't remember if i ever used it... so YMMV. You could be really "[H]ard" and use some K.Y... *cough*...
just a tip

i was reading up on the zalman for the past hour, seems good.... but the cheapest i could find the ZM80C-HP was for $29.00 shipped. Which is a bit expensive. I dont mind a little noise coming from my gpu. I dont remember the OEM fan ever being annoying to me (but i have nothing for reference now). I have a 4mb video card in my system right now and it is dead silent...

There is this zalman on ebay for about 15 shipped http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/2c/01/5b_3.JPG . It is the zm80-hp How much worse is this than the other one?

edit: i just looked at that ebay one more closely, I think it might be a cheap knockoff. I couldnt find another zalman that was blue... and the pictures for zm80-hp and zm80a-hp all show a copper color heatsink.

How about taking a look here. I think I've seen a few 4200's with this
cooler and this one. But if you want dead silence you might want this
one.
The heatpipe ones can be alittle tricky with the installation.

Back