Will it be safe to OC more than 4 GHz?

maverick786us

2[H]4U
Hi Guys if you have a look at my current signature, it is a good overclocking setup with worlds best air heat sink TRUE. So will it be safe to overclock it above 4 Ghz keeping the temprature under 55 degrees?

Yes, it would be perfectly safe. In fact, you can run your CPU much higher than 55C without harming anything. You can go up as far as 97C without triggering the CPU's thermal protection, although I would personally suggest that you keep it under 80C. In any case, the temperature is not an issue for overclocking it to 4GHz. All you really need to worry about is not using a CPU voltage higher than 1.4V. As long as you make sure of that, you're golden.

Thanks a lot buddy. How much should I keep the FSB, so that the voltage does'nt rise above 1.38V?

If you don't know how to overclock you should do some reading before you kill something.

You set the voltage in the bios and don't even think about overclocking with your voltage set to auto, that will surely result in your cpu being overvolted and maybe dying prematurely.

I have overclocked to 3.6 GHz before by simply increasing the FSB to 400MHz. Now in order to OC 4 GHz I need to set the FSB to around 477 MHz, but don't know how much the voltage will rise. Therefore thinking of some way to keep it in control

9x445 will get you 4ghz
PCI bus @ 100
Try 1.35 first then add or decrease till it's stable

Turn off auto voltage and you'll have hard control over it. You shouldn't even be using auto voltage for the 400FSB you have now. It's a long process of trial and error between keeping voltage at a minimum for the highest speed you can get.

voltage kills shit, not mhz.

also, you'll trip the thermal warning before anything horrible happens if heat is really a problem.

You don't want the voltage to go above 1.4v for any extent of time, if you do you could be slowly killing your cpu and not even know it till it's too late.

^^ what he said, unless you know what you are doing and understand the risks.
The guaranteed max safe voltage for that silicon is 1.36V approx, assuming the cooling is ok.

I've been running an older E8400 @ 4.1GHz for over a year at 1.4V with a TRUE 120 in case that helps.
Load temps never reach 70C.
You should be able to beat that easily.

Thanks buddy. One last question. If the overclocking is supported in BIOS, is there any way i can control OCing through windows itself??

Possibly.
Check the software that comes on the motherboard CD.
There may be an overclocking utility.

Regardless if you can, you are always going to want to do it in the BIOS!!! Trust me, dont mess around with a windows based overclocking utility, stick with the bios, just know where your cmos is located on the board incase you need to clear it :)

Regardless if you can, you are always going to want to do it in the BIOS!!! Trust me, dont mess around with a windows based overclocking utility, stick with the bios, just know where your cmos is located on the board incase you need to clear it :)

I'll 2nd that, always a pain trying to clear a cmos when you don't remember where it is on the motherboard haha. Just an hour or so of trying to find the old manual =p As said before heats not the issue voltage is.

I'll 2nd that, always a pain trying to clear a cmos when you don't remember where it is on the motherboard haha. Just an hour or so of trying to find the old manual =p As said before heats not the issue voltage is.

You realize you can just pull out the battery on the mobo and it will have the same effect, right?

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

SetFSB is a good tool for overclocking from within Windows. I set the basic overclock in the bios and then when playing around and testing stability you can bump it up using this tool. If you find a point where you're stable, you can go back to the bios and try your new settings. It saves some time testing this way.

Back