Will I see a significant increase in performance IF...

SiliconSwitch

Limp Gawd
Hey,

The PC I am on right now is an old compaq...

It has 1 700Mhz AMD Duron, 256mb+128mb or PC100 Ram, upgraded video card to a MSI FX5200...

I use it to play WoW when I am at this house, i can play on all lowest settings and resolution resonably well and lag fre most of the time unless its in big citys or a lot of suddem movements are happening...

My question is if I OC this video card a bit do you think I will see a significant/worthwhile performance boost?

The CPU cant be oced becuase this compaq mobo is locked.

Thanks

try it and see, can't hurt as long as you increase gradually, even if you get to the point where you see artifacts, just stop gaming, back it off a bit, start again

im not to familiar with nvidia cards so not exactly sure how good your grfx card is but juding by your specs, it seems like the rest of your comp is bottle-necking the card and in that case ocing the card woudnt really help, if your wanna oc try to oc your proccesor.

Both the CPU and ram are bottlenecking your graphics card. You would see minimal to no gain overclocking your graphics card with your current system.

I dont know the fx5200 is extrodanarly crappy. I have one with a 2.66 p4 and I get lag with almost anything. But ram would prob be the best bet if you want to improve performance.

Those durons are good chips though my 1.0 would take anything i would though at it as long as I was willing to wait

Yeh well like I said in my first post the CPU cant be oced because the mobo is locked... And this is an old video card also, from about 2003 the rest of the system is just older lol. I might try it out and see, like someone said, worth a try.

as stated above, overclocking the video card isn't gonna do much here because you aren't gpu-bound. As slow as the fx5200 is, it's still one of the stronger components in that system. A 700mhz duron (while still being an awesome cpu with lots of possibilities) isn't enough for modern games. There are many things a 700mhz K7 can still do very strongly, but modern gaming is not one of them. Also, 384mb of ram is not much by todays standards, especially with a memory hungry game like WoW. To put things in perspective, I've run WoW on an 800mhz P3 with 768mb of ram and a ti4200, and it still ran pretty poorly in crowded areas. Reason is that WoW is a pretty graphically-easy game but it demands a decent amount of cpu power to run well, plus anything less than 512mb of ram is going to suffer in it as well.

EDIT: yeah, the system requirements for WoW even specify an 800mhz or better. There's only so well that little duron is gonna be able to do, regardless of gpu power.

upgrade to a gig... put a 512 stick in atleast

30-40 bux tops
it`ll fix it

Ouch. I think its a good time to start squirreling away some funds for a new rig.

I agree that the Duron and the mere SDR100 it can handle is the largest bottleneck of the system. More RAM at that speed wouldn't stand to increase performance much if the processor can't keep up.

I do have another rig:

* CPU: AMD Opteron 146 - CAB2E 0546 UPMW - @Stock for now but has been tested up to 2.75Ghz @ 1.4v (stock) / 2.85Ghz @ 1.45v - All on Stock AMD cooler
* Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D
* Graphics Card: eVGA Nvidia 7900GT CO 555/1750 Stock cooling and stock volts
* Power Supply: OCZ Powerstream 520W
* RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (2×512mb 2-2-2-6) - Is Ocing to 302Mhz at 3-3-3-6 1T
* Hard Drive: WD SE16 250GB Sata2

This is just the extra one I have at another house.

Back