Will ghost recon advance warfighter be able to use the dual core for physics?

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
i just purchased an opteron 165(dual core cpu) and want nice graphics and physics in the upcoming ghost recon game . i am NOT buying a 300 dollar phsyics card so i wanted to know if the 2nd core will be able to render any physics or not.

My guess would be no.....But thats a guess :)

I would assume that the game would be coded to look for a physics card, and if none is present, then it would not display the "goodies"

I think the term calculate is better then render (since it doesn't deal with visual appearance). IIRC the PhysX engine is multi-threaded and as such I'm guessing will be able to use the second core. I can't say this with certainty though.

well i hope it will. game looks good and tom clancy's rainbow six started my gaming habit. i still dont get how a physics card can out do a cpu in physics. isnt the pci bus kinda limited in speed anyway? and if my opteron overclocked to 2.7-2.8 ish i would hope thats sufficient enough.

tvdang7 said:
well i hope it will. game looks good and tom clancy's rainbow six started my gaming habit. i still dont get how a physics card can out do a cpu in physics. isnt the pci bus kinda limited in speed anyway? and if my opteron overclocked to 2.7-2.8 ish i would hope thats sufficient enough.

Physics card outdoes a CPU in Physics the same way a graphics card outdoes it in graphics.

No your CPU will not be able to provide physics anywhere near the level of a physics card.

Doing things in hardware is always faster then software. If you can do the same calculation in one cycle (even if its slower) on the PPU when it takes the CPU 10 Cycles, it can make a big difference. Especially if you can instead have the CPU tracking something else (AI, netcode, etc.).

damn well i guess ill never see good physics unless cards come down to 100 bucks. well im hoping that game will do soemthing with my second core then.

Back