Will Alderwood Have PCI-Express ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
Well the new Intel chipset named Alderwood will go on sale in April, thats the one to support the new 775pin version of Prescot right >?
Will it have PCI-Express on it, to allow for the new video cards by either ATI-R420 or nVidia -NV40, which will both on sale by the time Alderwood comes out.
thanks

Update:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20040116203935.html

Yes the Alderwood motherboard i925X, will come with PCI-Express, so that means goodbye AGP cards, only the top of the line video cards from ATI-R420 + nVidia-NV40 will fit on this board :)

The Alderwood/Grantsdale chipsets are based on PCI Express, using it as the connection between the Northbridge and Southbridge, and with a seperate 16x PCI E connection to the Northbridge for graphics.

I hope there not scheduled to come out for awhile ...I cant afford another upgrade at this juncture in my life ...:)

If I recall, the R423--not the R420--will be the first of ATi's lineup to support PCI Express. The NVIDIA counterpart will likely debut at the same time (mid- to late summer, I presume).

So if Alderwood supports PCI-Express for the new video cards, and this motherboard goes on sale in April ? That means ONLY people with PCI-Express video cards will be able to use it, and by this April, will both ATI + nVidia have their new cards running on PCI-Express ?

Early indications are it will be possible to use AGP OR PCI-E on these chipsets. Some other chipsets are slated to allow both, so between those two facts I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Of course it would have to be able to use current AGP cards if no PCI-E cards are out :p . I think the first PCI-E card is going to be R423

Can anyone tell me why PCI-X is necessary?

Current AGP8x cards dont even stress the 8x port so why're they moving from that configuration?

For the future, if you remember when AGP was released it took a generation or two for it to make much difference. But I sure am glad we're not stuck with PCI video cards! And sometime in 2005 or 06 I'm sure I'll be just as glad not to be stuck with an AGP video card. :)

Originally posted by Unit-0
Can anyone tell me why PCI-X is necessary?

Current AGP8x cards dont even stress the 8x port so why're they moving from that configuration?
PCI-X will be faster. Just because AGP4x to AGP8x saw little benefits doesn't mean that AGP8x to PCI-X won't offer more of a performance increase.

This is a little off topic, but anyways:
Do you know if S478 will be able to fit on Alderwood and Grantsdale boards?

PCI-X is an entirely different standard for an entirely different market. It is a new generation of PCI that offers substantially higher bandwidth capabilities and backwards compatibility, but it is intended for servers and workstations for a variety of reasons. PCI Express will eventually take over the board-to-board interconnects of all desktop computers. For videocards it hardly offers much advantages initially. While it has more bandwidth capabilities, the additional headroom will initially do nothing for performance, compared to AGP 8x. The PCI Express x16 interface has increased power delivery abilities, but it seems like it won't completely supplant the outboard power connectors that the high end videocards need.

And I don't think that Grantsdale and Alderwood will feature Socket 478 support.

Update:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20040116203935.html

Yes the Alderwood motherboard i925X, will come with PCI-Express, so that means goodbye AGP cards, only the top of the line video cards will from ATI-R420 + nVidia-NV40 will fit on this board :)

this quote" dual-channel DDR-II memory at up to 533MHz, PCI Express x16 port for graphics cards and a rich arsenal of I/O capabilities. "

I havent kept up with the latest news on memory, since I redid my system over the summer, but is there DDR2 memory for sale ? and what speeds are they ?

sp PCI-E is the one that handles the next gen video cards, like ATI-R420 + nVidiaNV40, which are due out in just 9+ weeks :eek: well ahead of the Alderwood.

Originally posted by Bigjohns97
There's seems to be alot of mis-information on this board.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33711591&highlight=pci+express

This is where all of my questions were answered about PCI-E

Thanks for the link, good info there. I think PCI-E will be the next big revolution in computers. I started a thread here about B-ATX, and that was the first pic I've seen of a reference board. Looks like Intel's 3GIO is going to take off like a bandit!

Back