Will a Williamette based P4 work in a Dell 4600 motherboard?

Hey, I already posted this in the intel subforum, but I dunno how active it is. I have a Pentium 4 1.7GHz, 400MHz FSB, and I was wondering if it will work with a Dell 4600 Motherboard, I believe it has the Intel 865PE chipset. I'm thinking no, because I recall the intel website saying that the 400MHz FSB P4's only worked with up to the 845 chipset, but maybe someone could give me some insight? Thanks. Also, I have DDR333 RAM in the Dell motherboard, which is also why I questioned if it would work, thanks.

Yes, it should work. I don't think Dell locks out microcode any more either. :)

sweet, except it didn't work, but I think there might be something wrong with the dell motherboard, because it booted fine on my other ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard, also with the 865PE chipset, thanks though!

It shouldn't work. The chipset is good, the BIOS was never setup to have a 400FSB processor in it. This board was meant for a 533 and 800FSB socket 478 processor.

^^^Yeah, should not run. I put a 3.2 @ 800 in mine, and needed to do a BIOS upgrade...maybe that would help, but probably not.

Your best bet on the Dell systems is to go to Dell's website and look and see what "upgrades" they allow for. If it isn't in the manual there is a pretty good chance that it isn't going to work. I have a pair of 3.6Ghz P4s that I was gonna stick in some Optiplexs I had laying around.. They are now in my FS/T thread as I got tired of the machines saying that they were unsupported (even though they work just fine and at 3.6)

Back