Will a GT 640 drive this 3-screen setup?

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
Center 2560x1600 + 2x1200x1600 each side. One dual link DVI, One single-link DVI and one HDMI->single link DVI.

I'm looking at the spec page, but not sure:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications

I've got it all hooked up, but won't have a dual-link dvi cable until tomorrow, so the 2560 is showing a trashy picture -- it seems like it's going to work when I get the right cable, as I was able to select the desired resolutions (openSUSE 13.2 Linux). I also have a GTX 650 Ti that could be swapped in, but the specs look the same to me.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650ti/specifications

Should work just fine. Can't think of any reason it wouldn't.

The GTX 650 Ti will give you about 2X the performance since it has GDDR5 and double the cores. It also has Shield and ShadowPlay support, but aside from that it's pretty similar to the GT 640 feature-wise.

(Shield and ShadowPlay support under Linux?)

Yes, I got it working, but the performance is pretty bad with that many pixels on the open source nvidia driver. VNC to remote server 2500 miles away has better response than my native window manager, lol. Will set up the binary driver for Linux tomorrow.

(Shield and ShadowPlay support under Linux?)

Yes, I got it working, but the performance is pretty bad with that many pixels on the open source nvidia driver. VNC to remote server 2500 miles away has better response than my native window manager, lol. Will set up the binary driver for Linux tomorrow.

Shield and Shadowplay are both still Windows only for the time being. Maybe there'll be Linux support someday but for now these features probably won't be of much interest to you.

Not surprised about the remote desktop performance though. Those displays combined would be about 4k res. equivalent, and I imagine some pretty beefy hardware and an equally robust network might be required to stream it effectively. I haven't ever streamed anything over 1080p personally so I couldn't really say for sure.

You got my situation backwards ... the remote is better than the local, heh. NX is pretty efficient for basic windows (editor, console, static web pages, etc.) Didn't get to fiddling with the binary driver yet, but it's downloaded and waiting. Seems like the "nouveau" video driver really stumbles with the large resolution and 2 rotated screens (surprise surprise) when switching windows, like 750ms (!) to switch, pretty obnoxious. My previous install was 3x1600x1200 which worked great with openSUSE 12.1 + nvidia. The 2GB 650Ti should also chew through 4960x1600 with the binary driver, unless breaching 4096 causes a performance issue. Previously it was 3600x1600.

lol... nouveau chokes on just a single monitor.

Even after installing nvidia driver (damn, it was super easy this time, the openSUSE 13.2 wiki took 2 minutes to complete) it was still super slow. I could watch the window frames repaint individually like an unshadowed vga bios from 1990. I had to change:

Configure Desktop -> Desktop Effects -> Advanced -> Compositing Type -> "XRender" to "OpenGL 3.1"

Seriously, it's crap like this that stops better adoption rates. Oh well. Anyway, it's lightning fast now, yay! Didn't have to touch a single text config file. The gui locate and rotate screens worked grand. Huh, I wonder if I switched back to nouveau but with OpenGL if it would perform okay. Too late now ...

Back