Wii Outsells Sony's PS3 fivefold in May

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nintendo fans will be happy to hear that the Wii is outselling the PS3 in Japan by a 5 to 1 margin. Ouch.

Nintendo sold 251,794 Wii consoles last month, while Sony sold just 45,321 PS3s, according to Enterbrain, a Japanese publisher that tracks video game console sales. In April the Wii outsold the PS3 by about four to one in Japan, the research firm said.

I love my wii. My woman loves my wii too. She likes playing with my wii.

wii

It would be interesting to see
1) how much profit each company makes off their respective console
2) how these numbers match up with how fast they're being produced, as well as manufacturing capacity
3) are these numbers for units shipped or units sold? We've seen PR that plays fast and loose with those numbers before.

In the meantime...
/me grabs the popcorn and waits for the rabid fans to start what they do best....:D

It seems like Sony is reaching too far by trying to release "entertainment" consoles not "gaming" consoles. I don't have any real beef with the PS3, although I wouldn't buy one personally. The Wii is such a lower price it makes it far more available. Not everyone has 600$ to blow on an oversized DVD player. If I wanted a system that could do everything thing my computer can..... Oh wait, my computer already does ;)

Nintendo finally made a good move after a couple failed systems (GCN anyone?). They kept the prices low while giving the console race something new and exciting. The "fun" aspect of it may wear off, but I think that will be a while.

Nintendo makes $50 per Wii (published in several sources)
Sony loses ? per PS3
Microsoft is supposed to break even with the XBox 360 by 3rd quarter?

I read something the other day that said that the current rate of games downloaded on the Wii's Virtual Console, they are making $50 million a year

Not hard to imagine when you can buy almost three wii consoles for the price of one PS3.........not to change the subject, but are there any good games out for the PS3 yet???

We have a Wii, my kids love it. There's always someone playing something on it.:D

Sony needs to bite the bullet and drop the PS3 price before Christmas.

I can't believe how bad the ps3 shit the bed. I don't have either yet, but I plan on getting a Wii fairly soon.

Im not sure about 13k cars vs 30k cars, but Honda Accord outsold Honda Civic in 2006. I think you need a better analogy.

Try Lamborghini vs Corvette then?

And FYI, your analogy contradiction is also flawed, Honda Accord is not a 30k car. Starts at $18k + incentives. Honda Civic is a much smaller car for only $4k less and smaller incentives. But hey, nice try.

Yep, it outsold by a 5.5 to 1 margin, not just a 5 to 1 margin. :D

JAPAN

Perhaps you missed that. I don't care what some country in the corner of the world sold, I like to see global sales. Saying that the Wii outsold the PS3 but failing to mention the details is like saying that the PS3 is outselling the Wii 10 to 1 some god forsaken country.

JAPAN

Perhaps you missed that. I don't care what some country in the corner of the world sold, I like to see global sales. Saying that the Wii outsold the PS3 but failing to mention the details is like saying that the PS3 is outselling the Wii 10 to 1 some god forsaken country.

What country is that? Super RICHLAND? Highly unlikely the PS3 is outselling the Wii anywhere. I see your point, but I doubt it varies a whole lot elsewhere.

Oh yeah, also wanted to mention that Japan has the 2nd largest gaming industry I believe, so that have a large impact on gaming in general. Sure it isn't the global picture, but it's a large part of it. Especially since the large number of Sony exclusive titles are usually made by Japanese devs. So if they start leaving all you are left with for the most part is multiplatform games, thus making the console worthless for games compared to the 360 and Wii.

the wii is trouncing the ps3

world wide, the wii is trouncing the ps3:

japan is 5 to 1 in favor of the wii

usa is ~4 to 1 in favor of the wii

europe (shortest period of the ps3 being sold) it is ~3 to 1 in favor of the wii

face is, no matter how good the ps3 is, the lack of quality good games in conjunction with the price has KILLED the sales of the ps3 so far.

What country is that? Super RICHLAND? Highly unlikely the PS3 is outselling the Wii anywhere. I see your point, but I doubt it varies a whole lot elsewhere.

Americans has more money to spend on toys such as these. Other nations blueray is a larger focus on the market thus sales of PS3's are more sucessful.

If it doesn't vary elsewhere, then why didn't the article just globalize thier findings?

Oh yeah, also wanted to mention that Japan has the 2nd largest gaming industry I believe, so that have a large impact on gaming in general. Sure it isn't the global picture, but it's a large part of it. Especially since the large number of Sony exclusive titles are usually made by Japanese devs. So if they start leaving all you are left with for the most part is multiplatform games, thus making the console worthless for games compared to the 360 and Wii.

Second largest gaming industry doesn't mean that they have the deepest pockets or would buy the most expensive consoles.

I would like to see global facts, not local facts made to be global, thats all.

the wii is trouncing the ps3

world wide, the wii is trouncing the ps3:

japan is 5 to 1 in favor of the wii

usa is ~4 to 1 in favor of the wii

europe (shortest period of the ps3 being sold) it is ~3 to 1 in favor of the wii

face is, no matter how good the ps3 is, the lack of quality good games in conjunction with the price has KILLED the sales of the ps3 so far.

I'd like to see your research findings, not doubting you, but I hate it when things are presented as an overall picture.

I'd like to see your research findings, not doubting you, but I hate it when things are presented as an overall picture.

...Yah know, 45% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :D

In other news, WHERE'S MY PRICE DROP, SONY?!?

At the moment, I have a Wii, Xbox 360 and a PS3. I would say that the Wii is the best of the three consoles. The PS3 isn't too bad, its good if you have some money to spend. I do not see it winning the console race by any means. I consider it the new Sega Saturn. It's bulky and overpriced, just like the Saturn was in it's day, and will be loved by hardcore gamers in the generations ahead. But it will not win the race, period.

This is like saying that Crack outsells Coke because is cheaper to produce/sell/buy...LOL

Japan has a bigger console market than america to people who are like ZOMG ITS JAPAN NOT AMERICA!!@!@@#$@211352 Just thought id throw that fact out there.

They're focusing on the Japanese market because that was supposed to be the more favorable market to the PS3 because Sony is such a large name there. They've already thrown the statistics out for the USA and Europe several times on HardOCP and they don't look any better. The point was in a Sony rich, Sony biased market it is struggling to compete.

To the person comparing cars, your logic is flawed, you may sell 10 $18k cars to every one Mercedes, but you're probably going to have similar overall margins. In this case not only is Sony losing 5 to 1 in sales, but they're losing $250 per console while Nintendo is making money... that's not quite the same comparison.

Japan has a bigger console market than america to people who are like ZOMG ITS JAPAN NOT AMERICA!!@!@@#$@211352 Just thought id throw that fact out there.

Per capita or total?

To the person comparing cars, your logic is flawed, you may sell 10 $18k cars to every one Mercedes, but you're probably going to have similar overall margins. In this case not only is Sony losing 5 to 1 in sales, but they're losing $250 per console while Nintendo is making money... that's not quite the same comparison.
QFT.

I intend to make a console that will net me 10000% profit. I will call it "crack cocaine."

The car comparison is flawed, but not necessarily b/c of the total price difference. The problem is that with cars, manufacturers make money off the sale of the car, period-- end of transaction. Car manufacturers dont sell gas-- which is what they would have to do in order to make the analogy work.

With the consoles, the most important numbers are household penetration (number of homes with the device), and the attach rate (number of games sold per unit). Consoles do not make much (if any) money on the hardware. If they break even at some point, that is viewed as a good thing (Nintendo claims that it was breaking even on day 1 with the Wii-- impressive if true).

In any case, its all about getting hardware into homes so that they can sell software. All of the real profits in this industry come from the software sales and royalties that are paid to the hardware manufacturers on each and every new game purchased.

And to the person who said they dont care about Japan b/c it is just some country in the "corner of the world," I dont think your ignorance deserves much of a response except that you should stay in school. If you really care about facts, statistics, and more "global generalizations" then you may want to become more familiar with the economic landscape of the console industry before spouting out such things.

-vern

LOL, search google for "NPD sales numbers may" and these are the links you get:

"GameDaily BIZ: NPD: DS Sells More than 5 Times PS3 in April"
"April 2007 NPD sales numbers. DS dominates. Wii in second place"
"April NPD: Nintendo dominates, industry sales up 20% - Joystiq"
"Sales Frenzy: Nintendo Dominates NPD April Sales - Kotaku"
"NPD Fallout: Sony Blames April on Lack of Software news from 1UP.com"
"Gamasutra - NPD April Shows Nintendo Surge, PS3 Disappointment"
"April NPD: Wii Continues Domination, PS3 Slides news from 1UP.com"

Freakin hilarious.

Oh, and this is for Ockie... worldwide data for april:

Nintendo DS: 471K (10.9 million total)
Nintendo Wii: 360K (2.5 million total)
Sony PlayStation 2: 194K (38.2 million total)
Sony PSP: 183K (7.4 million total)
Microsoft Xbox 360: 174K (5.4 million total)
Nintendo Game Boy Advance: 84K (35.7 million total)
Sony PlayStation 3: 82K (1.3 million total)
Nintendo Gamecube: 13K (11.7 million total)

4.4 to 1, so the 5 to 1 in Japan is right on the money, so shut up...

I can't edit my above post but that was meant to say US sales numbers, not worldwide, sorry. Still, US + Japan basically make up the gaming world, with Europe adding only a little bit.

I don't understand why people are splitting hairs over this....It's quite clear, whether you make comparisons to cars, or to Japan, or to the world, or Ernest P. Worrell, that Sony is lagging behind. It's losing on its home turf, and everywhere else it seems. Consoles make their money because of software sales, no? But you also need a good installed hardware base to sell all that software, and that's not really happening well either.

What happens in Japan is a big chunk of the big picture, and in this case, a similar trend of what's going on elsewhere. The worldwide data shows this, which I also expect the more specific regional sales figures to show as they are released, but I find it difficult to believe that someone would still need more information at this point to know what's going on. For someone with a job deciding investment strategies regarding this, if it took them this long to come to a conclusion on what the trend is, they would be out of a job.

where is the data?

look it up yourself

try looking for npd sales monthly data

or goto one of the few semi reputable sites

vgchartz.com is one where the numbers are Decent to the npd numbers for the USA (they include canada in the data as well as mexico and afew other places) they have european numbers , and their numbers compare favorably with famistu and media create for japan.

overall the wii is doing over 2 to1 to the ps3 but that is inclusive of release numbers and ps3 had a Very good Release world wide- it's subsequent sales have plummeted while the wii's numbers have been REALLLLLY good.

example, last week in japan the wii sold ~56,500 consoles

last week in japan the ps3 sold 10,100

(i rounded to the nearest 100

that is 5 to 1. if you peruse vgchartz you can compare week to week etc and find that on average for the past 2+ months the wii has outsolde the ps3 by 5 to 1 -

the initial release bump of sales for the ps3 is what make the ps3 at ONLY a 2.7 to 1 sales disadvantage currently. but if the ps3 continues to sell at it's current rate, and the wii sells at it's current rate, within the next 5-10 weeks - in japan, that ratio is going to grow.

in the USA areas overall lifetime, the wii is at only ~2.2 to 1 ration ahead of the ps3,

but RECENTLY (past few months) the sales have been between 4 and 6 to 1 in favor of the wii..

Personally i find it an interesting subject to follow, because so far This generation-since all 3 consoles released:

price and "good enough" graphics with the new controller is trouncing the "high powered/ HD graphics consoles(cough home entertainment centers) that are more expensive.

the console that has the best graphics (supposedly) and the best hardware(supposedly) and the highest price is doing the least amount of sales.

which most people with common sense said would happen when the price was announced...

Back