Wii little question

3ee Dee

Limp Gawd
I have a Wii and I just purchased a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector so I can connect to my wired network. I've only had it a couple days and it's already starting to annoy me that I have to have my computer running for the Wii to connect. So now I'm looking into a wireless router instead and I'm thinking about going with the D-Link DI-624. It says it has a built in 4 port switch, so my question is does that mean I can still hook my computers up to the router with wires(for now) and have the Wii be the only thing connecting wirelessly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

yep. Once you configure the wireless on both ends, you'll be able to use the wireless connection for the Wii and still have up to 4 cabled devices connected to the router at the same time. Since you have the adapter already, though, if you wanted to, you could even connect your Wii to the built in switch if you really wanted to be cabled.

yup, wireless routers usually allow for up to four wired connections, the WAN port (for your modem), and a bunch of wireless connections.

uzor said:
Since you have the adapter already, though, if you wanted to, you could even connect your Wii to the built in switch if you really wanted to be cabled.

I thought about that too, but that actually requires the Nintendo Lan Connector. I think I'd rather have the Wii be wireless anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

3ee Dee said:
I have a Wii and I just purchased a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector so I can connect to my wired network. I've only had it a couple days and it's already starting to annoy me that I have to have my computer running for the Wii to connect. So now I'm looking into a wireless router instead and I'm thinking about going with the D-Link DI-624. It says it has a built in 4 port switch, so my question is does that mean I can still hook my computers up to the router with wires(for now) and have the Wii be the only thing connecting wirelessly?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I've owned and used the DI-624. It's a POS. Try to do some torrenting and it just dies because it can't handle multiple connections.

This router is by far the best performer under $80:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173

I wouldn't get anything cheaper than that. The Zyxel X-550 and D-Link DGL-4300 are more expensive, but virtually identical and will handle anything you can possibly throw at them.

kumquat said:
I wouldn't get anything cheaper than that. The Zyxel X-550 and D-Link DGL-4300 are more expensive, but virtually identical and will handle anything you can possibly throw at them.
These two are indeed unstoppable. I own the 4300 now, and had a ZyXel (different model, but as far as I can tell, they all own) prior to that that performed flawlessly 24/7 for the 7 years I had broadband prior to upgrading to the 4300 for the gigabit and integrated wireless.

kumquat said:
I've owned and used the DI-624. It's a POS. Try to do some torrenting and it just dies because it can't handle multiple connections.

This router is by far the best performer under $80:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173

Right on, I appriciate the suggestions, I'm probably going to grab that Buffalo one now.

Thanks everyone.

Back